I don’t believe Darren will continue with his 3-5-2 system. I think it’s a system he fell upon due to player availability during the early part of this season just finished. 

I think he will revert to 4-3-3 in attack and 4-3-2-1 in defence mode. 

we shall soon find out by seeing who is released, retained, sold and signed up! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I don’t believe Darren will continue with his 3-5-2 system. I think it’s a system he fell upon due to player availability during the early part of this season just finished. 

I think your wrong,

• Haha 1

3-5-2 could work better but how many times have we had to put out a makeshift back 3? Rarely did we have a balanced back 3 and this has caused us big problems. We only had Gibson who was left footed . Yet rarely ever played . 

ideally 2 left footed cbs needed in the squad for that system. 

• Like 2

He's barely deviated from the 352 since he started playing it, even when it's clearly not working out in a game or when we've literally had no fit CBs available and he's shoehorned a left winger, full back and a striker into the back 3 rather than alter the system. Doubt he'll ever change it now.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm undecided on this. I still think his philosophy is 4-2-3-1 but he doesn't have a striker who can play the front man and I'm not convinced he has anyone to play the 2 supporting wide men. That would then mean he needs a big recruitment in those areas alone and it leaves him with Johnson, Gregory, Windass, Berahino all not really suited to that system. 

One thing that disappointed me last night is how deep the 2 WBs played, for me Johnson is the best crosser of the ball in the division but he rarely ventured forward. I don't think he's up to playing a wide forward in a 4-2-3-1, so if Johnson plays next season I'd like him to be further forward more often. We need a plan if a side sets up like Sunderland because it nullified Johnson's threat. 

5 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Just another manager who thinks he has all the answers and sticks dogmatically to his preferred format regardless of how things unfold and what the player’s strengths are!

He sticks so dramatically to "his system" that he changed it entirely about 15 games in.

Honestly I think some people just say words hoping no-one notices the sentence constructed makes no sense.

• Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

Yeah, I think we will change system for next season 

3-4-3 is all the rage these days isn’t it.

wouldn’t mind a bit of that. 

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

He's barely deviated from the 352 since he started playing it, even when it's clearly not working out in a game or when we've literally had no fit CBs available and he's shoehorned a left winger, full back and a striker into the back 3 rather than alter the system. Doubt he'll ever change it now.

And, for that reason, I'm out. 

He has one idea, and it's not a very good one. 

If we want to be in with a shout of winning this league next season, something needs to change. 

If Moore isn't willing to.... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

And, for that reason, I'm out. 

He has one idea, and it's not a very good one. 

If we want to be in with a shout of winning this league next season, something needs to change. 

If Moore isn't willing to.... 

Our form for the last two thirds of the season would suggest it's a pretty decent idea, wouldn't it?

1024272419_Screenshot2022-05-10at10_13_15.png.df5fbc63d7372a27e1650d100f76448b.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

He sticks so dramatically to "his system" that he changed it entirely about 15 games in.

Honestly I think some people just say words hoping no-one notices the sentence constructed makes no sense.

Yep.

Obviously being a ‘student’, you’ll know better. 

Sorry, I bow to your superior knowledge, he’s obviously a tactical genius!

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Yep.

Obviously being a ‘student’, you’ll know better. 

Sorry, I bow to your superior knowledge, he’s obviously a tactical genius!

Not sure StudentOwl said that, but his point stands. 

Started the season with a 4-2-3-1 and then switched to a 3-5-2. 

3 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

3-5-2 could work better but how many times have we had to put out a makeshift back 3? Rarely did we have a balanced back 3 and this has caused us big problems. We only had Gibson who was left footed . Yet rarely ever played . 

ideally 2 left footed cbs needed in the squad for that system. 

Gibson did well too from what I remember. Didn’t the lad get injured? 

Just now, SiJ said:

Not sure StudentOwl said that, but his point stands. 

Started the season with a 4-2-3-1 and then switched to a 3-5-2. 

We’ll thank God it worked.

Looking forward to the Wembley gig.

All those inspired line ups & substitutions against the might of Gillingham & the like worked a treat.

• Thanks 1

As sad a sentence as this is...here goes. We haven't had a capable left back since Morgan fox. Until that gets sorted we can't go 4 at the back. Sunderland always had options on the ball when countering because they had a big, mobile striker and two quick wingers who could carry the ball. We however rely on slowly getting the ball through the thirds against teams that will generally look to recover men behind the ball. 

1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

We’ll thank God it worked.

Looking forward to the Wembley gig.

All those inspired line ups & substitutions against the might of Gillingham & the like worked a treat.

Well, it did get us into the play offs. 

Did you expect him to change his preferred system just for the play offs? 

Perhaps get back to me when you've stop spitting your dummy out. 

You know full well that had Moore changed the system last night or on Friday that those slagging him off for sticking rigid to his system would be accusing of tinkering too much. 

4 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

As sad a sentence as this is...here goes. We haven't had a capable left back since Morgan fox. Until that gets sorted we can't go 4 at the back.

I agree. No left back, no back 4. 

He wasn’t a world beater but he added balance.