A follow up to 'Is Darren Moore good enough to get us promotion?

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

A more sympathetic writer might say that his managerial CV reads:

• Relegated with WBA, despite a huge upturn in results and performances during his tenure (11 points from his six games in charge), including a win at Old Trafford and a victory over Spurs. Sacked with WBA in 4th position in the Championship.
  • Left a Donny side who were relegated the following season in the top six.
  • Relegated with SWFC, who were a complete basket-case of a club on our 4th manager of the season, and having missed several games due to being hospitalised with covid - followed by a major squad rebuild and a 4th place finish on 85 points.

🤷‍♂️

What you’ve provided is mitigation but it still doesn’t give any successes.

As the OP asked, do you think Derby or Sunderland would be interested if they had a vacancy and Moore was available?

Or even Ipswich or Portsmouth?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Why won't it? We will need pretty much the same amount of new players again, and probably need to to get the average age down a bit.

This is my fear. When DM came I reckoned he needed 2 seasons.  We missed the first half of this season with messing about with the line up and system, but when eventually he found something that worked he did ok. But, Hunt, Palmer, Hutch, Bannon, Johnson, Gregory (probably our most reliable players), all the wrong side of 30.  I reckon we'll get probably 1 more season out of them in a realistic promotion push.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

As the OP asked, do you think Derby or Sunderland would be interested if they had a vacancy and Moore was available?

Success is relative.

Giving West Brom any chance of staying in the Premier League with a run of 11 points from 6 games when they previously looked dead and buried could be considered success; having West Brom 4th in the Championship and in with a shout of promotion back to the Premier league could be considered success; getting Donny Rovers competing in the top six could be considered success; rebuilding a Wednesday squad which was on its knees this time last year and having us pushing for an instant return to League One could be considered success.

Given the work he's done here, and what he was doing at Donny previously in this division, I'd say Moore might be an attractive prospect for those clubs, yes. It all very much depends on what they're looking for. Derby seem to be going down the 'big name' route with Lampard and Rooney, for example, so he might not fit the bill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Musttryharder
4 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

If a job in this league became available right now, and a Chairman was looking for suitable candidates - would Darren Moore's CV stand out above the crowd?

Unthinkable I know, but say if 'Wayne Rooney's Derby', suddenly became managerless Derby, do you think Moore would be a front-runner for the job at the club he used to play for?

If Sunderland lose versus Wycombe, do you think Sunderland would think 'do you know what, let's sack Neil off and go for big Dazza?

I have used these 2 examples, because of the size of the clubs.

His Managerial CV reads:

Relegated with WBA (Harsh, I know - he and the team put up a good fight, but still went down)

Mid-table obscurity with Donny

Relegated with SWFC - Followed by failure to bounce back up

They are cold hard facts, should we ignore them because we had a good 2nd half of the season, or be worried because there will be a massive turnover of players again, and we could be back at square one with the poor start again?

The problem isnt so much DM, but Chansiri. No football nous whatsoever. Yes he's allowed decent well better than decent salary budgets but as that really helped us. The players DM as brought in on these wages , are they hungry enough or just Mr nice guys like DM himself. 

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

• Relegated with WBA, despite a huge upturn in results and performances during his tenure (11 points from his six games in charge), including a win at Old Trafford and a victory over Spurs. Sacked with WBA in 4th position in the Championship.
  • Relegated with SWFC, who were a complete basket-case of a club on our 4th manager of the season, and having missed several games due to being hospitalised with covid - followed by a major squad rebuild and a 4th place finish on 85 points.

🤷‍♂️

Always two sides to an argument.

Do you think ‘this basket case of a club’ would have been relegated with a whimper under a Warnock, a Wilder an Alex Neil (tw*t).

No fuc*in chance.

Everyone thought the six points were insurmountable and yet Reading did it at a canter & Derby nearly did it with a twenty one point deduction, but DM got a free ride when he failed to keep us up and he had more than enough games to keep us up even allowing for the squad at that time.

Nearly survived relegation, nearly got to Wembley.   

The clue is in ‘nearly’.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Always two sides to an argument.

Do you think ‘this basket case of a club’ would have been relegated with a whimper under a Warnock, a Wilder an Alex Neil (tw*t).

No fuc*in chance.

Everyone thought the six points were insurmountable and yet Reading did it at a canter & Derby nearly did it with a twenty one point deduction, but DM got a free ride when he failed to keep us up and he had more than enough games to keep us up even allowing for the squad at that time.

Nearly survived relegation, nearly got to Wembley.   

The clue is in ‘nearly’.

This time two years ago, I bet most would have added 'a Pulis' to that list.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

If a job in this league became available right now, and a Chairman was looking for suitable candidates - would Darren Moore's CV stand out above the crowd?

Unthinkable I know, but say if 'Wayne Rooney's Derby', suddenly became managerless Derby, do you think Moore would be a front-runner for the job at the club he used to play for?

If Sunderland lose versus Wycombe, do you think Sunderland would think 'do you know what, let's sack Neil off and go for big Dazza?

His Managerial CV reads:

Relegated with WBA (Harsh, I know - he and the team put up a good fight, but still went down)

They are cold hard facts, should we ignore them because we had a good 2nd half of the season, or be worried because there will be a massive turnover of players again, and we could be back at square one with the poor start again?

Rooney would be brilliant for us..can we swap managers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

His Managerial CV reads:

ime with you mate, he has to go, possibly best budget in league 1, a very talented squad, made too many mistakes, team selection, substitutions, a side so hit and mis and never learnt from their mistakes etc etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

If any of those clubs had managerial vacancies then yes I think Moore would be on their list. Why would you not consider someone whose taken a club our size (with the pressure that comes with it and all the off field stuff too) to 85pts in a very competitive league one?? 

23 hours ago, 109Waddle said:

If any of those clubs had managerial vacancies then yes I think Moore would be on their list. Why would you not consider someone whose taken a club our size (with the pressure that comes with it and all the off field stuff too) to 85pts in a very competitive league one?? 

Most bizarre argument I’ve heard.

So you are saying that managing a bigger club with more resources and a bigger budget (even allowing for the higher expectation) is somehow a disadvantage?

If you can make that argument stick then credit to you.

20 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Most bizarre argument I’ve heard.

So you are saying that managing a bigger club with more resources and a bigger budget (even allowing for the higher expectation) is somehow a disadvantage?

If you can make that argument stick then credit to you.

Great twist of my post there.

I’m saying, if you were the owner of Ipswich (for example) and you had a managerial vacancy, why wouldn’t you look at what Darren Moore has done at Wednesday and not put him on your list of people to consider?

On 10/05/2022 at 14:14, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

🤷‍♂️

Realism delivered. Thank you.

Further more this club still needs the stability of the same management team for at least another season. 
As a club we couldn’t carry (a DC f@&k up)  of bringing in a different manager 

• Like 1

It is interesting that so far, there is no message from Chansiri on the official site. If there’s nothing on there by Friday, I would say DM might have a twitchy weekend ahead of him unless of course DC has already assured him of his position for next season. 

You would think that there would be some sort of message of thanks from him to the manager, staff, players and customers for their efforts this season, even allowing for it being DC. 

2 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

It is interesting that so far, there is no message from Chansiri on the official site. If there’s nothing on there by Friday, I would say DM might have a twitchy weekend ahead of him unless of course DC has already assured him of his position for next season. 

You would think that there would be some sort of message of thanks from him to the manager, staff, players and customers for their efforts this season, even allowing for it being DC. 

Any statement would get ripped to bits at the moment

They're probably waiting for everyone to calm down first

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

DM has never really won me over but he exceeded what I personally thought we'd do this season. I didn't expect the play offs from the shambles we were and having to bring in so many new players.

The second half of the season has been very good so, in the absence of anyone realistically available who would do better, I'd stick with him.

On 10/05/2022 at 14:48, Alwaysletyoudown said:

He's here next season anyway..... Like it or not...... God help him tho if he's not top four by Xmas..... 

I'll wait for the season to start first. He'll probably be sacked after the first pre season friendly and his replacement announced at ten to three on the opening day!