A follow up to 'Is Darren Moore good enough to get us promotion?

He was initially caretaker boss when at West Brom, but they went down. He had them in 4th but they sacked him. At Donny, they were sitting 6th when he joined us, going down wasn't great but there were a lot of different circumstances he was having to contend with.

• Like 2

While ever we are owned by Chansiri, I don't think you can take a black and white approach to assessing cv's. 

Moore seems to have a good relationship with Chansiri and crucially has his trust. We've not had that since Carlos and in that time had some big name managers, an obscure one and a supposed up and coming one.

Despite significant improvements in the way the club is run, still quite dysfunctional and I do believe Moore is a good fit. 

That said, we've also played some great football this season at times, shown improvement in mental robustness and a positive direction of travel. 

Aside from his relationship with the owner, earned his place with performances on the pitch IMO. Teams do get promoted with managers without a promotion on their CV, plenty of managers with that achievement also fail at clubs. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

A more sympathetic writer might say that his managerial CV reads:

• Relegated with WBA, despite a huge upturn in results and performances during his tenure (11 points from his six games in charge), including a win at Old Trafford and a victory over Spurs. Sacked with WBA in 4th position in the Championship.
  • Left a Donny side who were relegated the following season in the top six.
  • Relegated with SWFC, who were a complete basket-case of a club on our 4th manager of the season, and having missed several games due to being hospitalised with covid - followed by a major squad rebuild and a 4th place finish on 85 points.

🤷‍♂️

Fair points - but the facts are still the same.

Keeping on the CV and therefore job application process - what about the following fun classic at every job interview...

So DARREN - Tell us about a time where you faced adversity, a real challenge, how you responded to it and what the outcome was?

erm' I took over the Baggies late on with a brief to try and keep them up, we gave a great account of ourselves, and  erm' we responded really well.....

So you kept them up yes?

-erm' no, but a few years later I went Wednesday with the same brief.....

So you kept them up yes?

Erm' no, but the Chairman had great faith in me and  gave me an excellent budget for League One to bounce straight back up again...

So you got them promoted then?

Erm, no, but we go again next season, when do I find out about the job then?

Well let you know......

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Fair points - but the facts are still the same.

Keeping on the CV and therefore job application process - what about the following fun classic at every job interview...

So DARREN - Tell us about a time where you faced adversity, a real challenge, how you responded to it and what the outcome was?

erm' I took over the Baggies late on with a brief to try and keep them up, we gave a great account of ourselves, and  erm' we responded really well.....

So you kept them up yes?

-erm' no, but a few years later I went Wednesday with the same brief.....

So you kept them up yes?

Erm' no, but the Chairman had great faith in me and  gave me an excellent budget for League One to bounce straight back up again...

So you got them promoted then?

Erm, no, but we go again next season, when do I find out about the job then?

Well let you know......

Nice to see the 'erm' thing has reared its head again now that we're out of the playoffs.

Classy.

🙄

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nice to see the 'erm' thing has reared its head again now that we're out of the playoffs.

Classy.

🙄

It was more along the lines of how somebody would respond when trying to cover up their failings, I have interviewed many people in my time, and a lot of people start each answer with an erm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

If a job in this league became available right now, and a Chairman was looking for suitable candidates - would Darren Moore's CV stand out above the crowd?

Unthinkable I know, but say if 'Wayne Rooney's Derby', suddenly became managerless Derby, do you think Moore would be a front-runner for the job at the club he used to play for?

Why not?

Lets put aside the failure to bounce straight back up, and consider the following:

DM took over at a relegated club in some disarray

Overhauled the squad with no transfer budget and despite being under a transfer embargo

Steadied the ship

Improved the atmosphere round the changing room

Gradually established a particular formation and identity

Continued to fine tune the squad

Began to climb the table, finishing with a >65% win ratio in the second half of the season

Made the home ground a fortress

Finished in 4th, and the play-offs, having briefly looked like a surprise contender for automatics

So if Derby were looking to tick those boxes then yes, I could see them being interested in Darren Moore. If nothing else (yet) he's shown he can point a struggling club in the right direction.

• Like 3

Just now, royalowlisback said:

It was more along the lines of how somebody would respond when trying to cover up their failings, I have interviewed many people in my time, and a lot of people start each answer with an erm.

Of course it was

• Like 4

He’s has both us and Doncaster in the right area of this division. So any League 1 club would be interested in him if he became available. Finishing in the Top 6 is an achievement for him having missed out on it twice with Donny, now he has to take it on next season. However history tells you even though we usually get promoted in the second season in League 1 it’s usually under a different manager to the one that started the campaign. Can Moore rewrite history?

5 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Fair enough.

Sorry I misread your intention.

As you say, a filled pause is hardly an unusual feature of spontaneous speech, which is why it's so bizarre the way some have made an issue of it when it comes to our manager.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair enough.

Sorry I misread your intention.

As you say, a filled pause is hardly an unusual feature of spontaneous speech, which is why it's so bizarre the way some have made an issue of it when it comes to our manager.

I've no problem with erm, I use it a lot myself - it buys you time and in interviews that extra second can mean the difference between an inspired answer, or an absolute brainf4rt response!

• Like 1