Jump to content

Anti-Timewasting Campaign


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, striker said:

Don't need timekeepers, the mechanism exists to book players for timewasting. Sending players off will resolve the problem, as would more robust punishment for diving. 

 

Player gets a warning, next time a booking, next time a red card. Team start to share out timewasting duties, captain spoken to, next time booking, then red card. 

But it doesn’t happen. 

 

The ‘mechanism’ might be there but IT IS NOT applied and won’t be in the near future.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely needs something doing about it , not the reason we didn’t win last night but it spoilt the spectacle . Yea every team does but it still needs sorting . Fans don’t spend money to watch a keeper just stood holding the ball. Does any other sport have this problem ?? Referees certainly don’t help , all the ref did last night was wave at them to play on, joke. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

But it doesn’t happen. 

 

The ‘mechanism’ might be there but IT IS NOT applied and won’t be in the near future.

Exactly. There isn't a will from the authorities to deal with it. 

 

If they do decide to tackle it, relatively easy to eradicate within the existing rules. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know someone who is involved with trialling 30 minute halfs whereby when the ball is out of play/dead the time stops.

Apparently, there has been no real downsides from the trials and the games run smoothly  -no time wasting etc.

It's meant to be trialled in proper games soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think there's a case for treatment on the pitch whilst the game continues, with play being stopped only at the refs discretion where he thinks there's been a serious injury. If a player just wanted to slow the game down, he'd have to consider the fact that the game could carry on without him

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, striker said:

Don't need timekeepers, the mechanism exists to book players for timewasting. Sending players off will resolve the problem, as would more robust punishment for diving. 

 

Player gets a warning, next time a booking, next time a red card. Team start to share out timewasting duties, captain spoken to, next time booking, then red card. 

I dunno, I think that if you blatantly dive in a situation where if given the defender would get a red... I think that dive needs a red.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

I'm so fed up with the rules of football not being enforced that I'm thinking of putting an anti-timewasting campaign together. A website, a petition...all that.

 

Would you sign such a petition and do you think I should bother... or would I be wasting my time (ironically!)?

(p.s. this is not about last night or any individual game in particular, it's about football in general...it's going down the swanny!)

Do it.. 100% in favour .. not because of last night but because it’s killing the game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, sticklebricks said:

I dunno, I think that if you blatantly dive in a situation where if given the defender would get a red... I think that dive needs a red.

That's a big call. I'm not sure red, but certainly yellow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Ref played 13 minutes injury time. Stop moaning. 

i get that, but it should have been more than 3 in the first half? comfortably i would say. i was expecting 5 minutes to be honest. I do think effectively having a stopwatch for every time the ball is out of play then that is what's added on at the end of each 45. I'm sure referees attempt to do that anyway as they usually have 2 watches, one for added time and one for the normal 45 mins. But an extra official who literally stops and starts a watch every time the ball is dead would see much fairer games. As there was never only 3 minutes in the first half between the injury, o'nien/windass incident and general time wasting from set pieces. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

I'm so fed up with the rules of football not being enforced that I'm thinking of putting an anti-timewasting campaign together. A website, a petition...all that.

 

Would you sign such a petition and do you think I should bother... or would I be wasting my time (ironically!)?

(p.s. this is not about last night or any individual game in particular, it's about football in general...it's going down the swanny!)


Players only ever get booked for time wasting towards the end of games, yet all season we’ve had teams rock up and start with these antics 10 mins into the game. Defeats the whole point of it - if the refs are going to book them (as its seen as an offence in their book), then why wait til the end? Pointless.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The referee last night was dreadful with regards time wasting.  I noticed him having a conversation with their keeper at one stage, but nothing changed.  The rules are there for them to use the fact they don’t tells you where the problem is 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

If we'd wasted 20 minutes in the first leg, come away with a 1-0 win and drawn last night I doubt anyone would be talking about time wasting today. All part and parcel of the game.

 

The problem for us is that everyone else does it better.


 

You say it’s all part if the game but it shouldn’t be and wouldn’t be if the referees applied the rules.

I came away from the game last night thinking I’d had enough of todays football if that’s how it has to be played.  Not just the time wasting but also the number of times  Sunderland players went to ground looking for a free kick.  The ref waved their appeal away but never spoke to the player about it and therefore did nothing to discourage it.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

i get that, but it should have been more than 3 in the first half? comfortably i would say. i was expecting 5 minutes to be honest. I do think effectively having a stopwatch for every time the ball is out of play then that is what's added on at the end of each 45. I'm sure referees attempt to do that anyway as they usually have 2 watches, one for added time and one for the normal 45 mins. But an extra official who literally stops and starts a watch every time the ball is dead would see much fairer games. As there was never only 3 minutes in the first half between the injury, o'nien/windass incident and general time wasting from set pieces. 

I was expecting more than 3 in the first but less than 10 in the 2nd. No idea where he got that from. 
 

The idea of another official with a stopwatch fills me with dread. Next thing will be Diana Ross taking a penalty. 
 

Teams are clearly taking the p but it’s virtually impossible to stop it. And players are clearly taking the p on the new head injury thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kelfin Platz said:

Think there's a case for treatment on the pitch whilst the game continues, with play being stopped only at the refs discretion where he thinks there's been a serious injury. If a player just wanted to slow the game down, he'd have to consider the fact that the game could carry on without him

 

This is a big issue for me. Other areas of time wasting could be addressed by issuing cards or sin bins as suggested and 'visibly' stopping the clock would take some of the anger out of it for the fans.

Wycombe (and undoubtedly others) are experts at going down injured and calling on the medics to use up time, or disrupt the flow of the game. The ref can't risk calling them out on it, so they get away with it. Allowing players to be treated on the pitch whilst the game continues, as they do in rugby, would address this.

 

Overall, something needs to be done, as time wasting/game management is generally killing the game as a spectacle.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are rules in place to stop all this but they are never enforced, creating new ones will just get ignored by the refs as well.

Time wasting is simple , warn first then yellow card them, when they see red then they might think again.

Subs  if he wants to have to the crowd on his slow walk off, simple yellow card him if hes already on a yellow then red

Goalkeepers 6 seconds should mean 6 seconds not whenever you fancy it.

My real hate is full backs who loose the ball and fall over to get a free kick, obvious dive yellow card

 

The reason we are seeing such poor refereeing is these are at best League 1 officials 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can we do away with the refs having a word with players wrestling before a corner as well. It achieves absolutely nothing other than running down the clock as the players just continue as before after their little talking to anyway...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:



But it's not the time that's lost that teams want back


it's the momentum they were building that the timewasting/diving stops

Good point and as for stopping the clock every time the ball leaves play or for every misdemeanour, as in American football,  I for one would like to be home before midnight after a midweek 7.45pm kick off. Those games last for hours !!!!

UTO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Players receiving treatment on the pitch should not be allowed back on for five minutes. Also a thirty second rule for throw ins or the throw goes to the other team. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...