Is Moore good enough to get us promoted?

Experience No. 1: He failed to keep the club in the championship

Experience No.2:  He failed to take the club back to the championship

but never mind, onwards and upwards with hope over experience...  

• Like 1

Just now, kobayashi said:

Experience No. 1: He failed to keep the club in the championship

Experience No.2:  He failed to take the club back to the championship

but never mind, onwards and upwards with hope over experience...  

And no track record of any success whatsoever - be it staying up or getting promoted.

• Like 2

No he isn't.

Here's a post I wrote before the last game.

If I can see how to beat us, it can't be that difficult. Pretty much went exactly as I wrote.

On 09/05/2022 at 16:09, Tewkesbury said:

We have no movement up front so easy to nullify. Everyone's close together so the fast counter is always on.

High press and man mark everyone to stop the pass, tight on Bannan, stop the ball to Gregory in the D or the byline cutback cross.

If you get the ball, hit it straight into the channels with a fast runner. There's a good chance you'll get through or get a free kick.

The only way we'll score are an individual goal or a set piece. 

That's it. Pretty much the only players we have who can change it up are NML and Windass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Apart from the number of team goals that we have scored like the one on Monday night...Palmer, Bannan, Johnson finished off by Gregory. You do talk some fuckingbollix 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Apart from the number of team goals that we have scored like the one on Monday night...Palmer, Bannan, Johnson finished off by Gregory. You do talk some fuckingbollix 🤣

Did you read the part about stopping Bannan or the byline cutback to Gregory?

About stopping the very thing that happened?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Did you read the part about stopping Bannan or the byline cutback to Gregory?

About stopping the very thing that happened?

The only way we'll score are an individual goal or a set piece...your exact words oh coaching guru 🤣

7 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

The only way we'll score are an individual goal or a set piece...your exact words oh coaching guru 🤣

We have no movement up front so easy to nullify. Everyone's close together so the fast counter is always on.

High press and man mark everyone to stop the pass, tight on Bannan, stop the ball to Gregory in the D or the byline cutback cross.

If you get the ball, hit it straight into the channels with a fast runner. There's a good chance you'll get through or get a free kick.

That's it. Pretty much the only players we have who can change it up are NML and Windass.

You do realise there was more than one sentence.

There was this one too:

I'm sure you covered all the bases Pep...l hope we can retain your services on here for a long time. Every football site needs a resident football guru lol

• Haha 1

So let me get this right. All opponents have to do is stop us from getting...

1) Set pieces

2) Passes to Gregory on the edge of the box

3) Bannan in possession

4) Cutbacks from the byline

5) Through them individually

That should be easy enough. Of course opponents only failed to do that 88 times this season in all competitions.

What is left out of this list that would somehow register as a 'proper' goal and how many of them are other teams scoring? :huh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

What is left out of this list that would somehow register as a 'proper' goal and how many of them are other teams scoring? :huh:

No good asking me you'll have to consult Pep 🤣

I read most threads and posts without comment. Having supported the team since the late 50's I feel I have to comment on this latest attack on a Wednesday manager. We have had some appalling managers over the years and only a few that have gained some success.  The football played has at times been dire and difficult to watch especially since the Carlos era. Taking into account where we were, the players he inherited and the style of football we were playing I think D.M has done well. I for one was not expecting a tilt at promotion this season. A lot of so called championship teams, Sunderland, Wigan, Ipswich, Bolton etc have found the transition difficult. Under Moore we have played attractive attacking football in the most part judging by the comments from fans of other teams who have played against us. Every manager has a sell by date (with the exception of Alex Ferguson) He's only had one full season and nearly got us to Wembley. He should be given another season to improve the squad and eradicate the errors that have cost us dropped points this season. Be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 10:20, TodwickOwl said:

1 over head kick and 1 goal in the play-off semi final at home is all we had to get excited about.

Everything else over two legs was abysmal to watch - I'd be surprised if the players have any faith in him going forward if he sets us up like that. 

Playing not to lose - instead of playing to win cost us once again, thanks Darren. 

That's my worry - a hangover.

It happened with Carlos after 'Udders.

Personally, I'd make a change.

This squad is good enough, and a new manager would re-engergize the players.

This season's failure would be forgotten.

Sort out our defensive frailties, and with a bit more tactical nous we'll do it.

4 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

No he isn't.

Here's a post I wrote before the last game.

If I can see how to beat us, it can't be that difficult. Pretty much went exactly as I wrote.

I'll not enter into the arguments about forward play, but I think it's at the back where I'm most worried.

All teams concede goals, especially if they play attacking football.

However some of ours are inconsistent with a team aspiring to be promoted.

Just now, Athelwulf said:

I'll not enter into the arguments about forward play, but I think it's at the back where I'm most worried.

All teams concede goals, especially if they play attacking football.

However some of ours are inconsistent with a team aspiring to be promoted.

My biggest issue was defensive.

During the 'injury crisis' we resorted to a more direct, pressing style, wearing teams down over 90 minutes, defending from the front.

We kept 5 clean sheets in 8 games.

As soon as the crisis was over, we gave up on it to play our tippy tappy, start fast and taper off football, kept 2 in 12 games and started dropping points.

We dropped the 'workers' in favour of the 'better footballers'.

But apparently we were free scoring so defending from the front doesn't matter.

On 10/05/2022 at 10:20, TodwickOwl said:

1 over head kick and 1 goal in the play-off semi final at home is all we had to get excited about.

Everything else over two legs was abysmal to watch - I'd be surprised if the players have any faith in him going forward if he sets us up like that. 

Playing not to lose - instead of playing to win cost us once again, thanks Darren. 

There was another team involved, so many fans seem to think the opposition should roll over for us.