A few questions:

Guest hirstysfags
9 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

It's a 90 minute game.

Or are we going by the old "If it's not on the highlights, it didn't happen"

No, it's a case of if he's not on the pitch, he's not contributing to the statistic you are defending.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

A few months ago I looked back through a thread from just after that game to see what the consensus was for our prospects this season. From memory, the majority seemed to feel it was a campaign to establish ourselves at this level before looking for a realistic promotion challenge. A fair few actually feared going down. Yet now we were really Manchester City all along.

Best post today

9 minutes ago, hirstysfags said:

No, it's a case of if he's not on the pitch, he's not contributing to the statistic you are defending.

He was on the pitch for 132 of the 180, more than 2/3 of the games.

How has he not contributed?

Guest hirstysfags
1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

He was on the pitch for 132 of the 180, more than 2/3 of the games.

How has he not contributed?

He didn't contribute to the events that got more points than when he was on the pitch. He contributed to one point,

If the game ended when he left the pitch, it would have been one point.

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

Peacock-Farrell

Hunt

Iorfa

Hutchinson

Palmer

Adeniran

Wing

Bannan

Green

Paterson

Brown

Substitutes

Byers

Johnson

Kamberi

Luongo

Dunkley

Corbeanu

Wildsmith

Other than the wingers, it wasn't a bad squad on paper. Adeniran and Wing were new signings, we didn't know that Wing was going to turn out to be a waste of space. Not sure if we'd already signed Gregory at that point or not?

With a forward line of Green - Paterson - Brown I begin to see how we scored 11 goals in our first 12 games.

Just now, hirstysfags said:

He didn't contribute to the events that got more points than when he was on the pitch. He contributed to one point,

If the game ended when he left the pitch, it would have been one point.

But it didn't, because they last for 90 minutes.

So, by your reckoning, you only contribute to a win if you're on the pitch at the moment something happens?

So if you get subbed at 92 minutes at 0-0, but score in the 93rd, it had nothing to do with you? You contributed nothing to the win at all?

What if you were at the other side of the pitch? What if you were the keeper? They had nothing to do with the goal either.

Guest hirstysfags
3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

So, by your reckoning, you only contribute to a win if you're on the pitch at the moment something happens?

So if you get subbed at 92 minutes at 0-0, but score in the 93rd, it had nothing to do with you? You contributed nothing to the win at all?

What if you were at the other side of the pitch? What if you were the keeper? They had nothing to do with the goal either.

You contributed to it being 0-0

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

OK, better tell Insigne that his Euro 2020 winner's medal should be cut in half as he wasn't on when they had penalties.

What are you going on about? :duntmatter:

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

1) How many players had we signed at the start of this season when the first match kicked off?

2) What was the team we put out vs Charlton?

18 players I believe can’t remember who played at Charton

55 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

A few months ago I looked back through a thread from just after that game to see what the consensus was for our prospects this season. From memory, the majority seemed to feel it was a campaign to establish ourselves at this level before looking for a realistic promotion challenge. A fair few actually feared going down. Yet now we were really Manchester City all along.

You leave out the opinions of those who after pre season recruitment thought our squad strong,and those like me who considered we should judge our season on how we did against those relegated with us.For most of the season we were outside the play offs and we drew 14 games,we should have won.Simply not good enough .Q is is he going to address it,or dish up more of the same?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

By your reckoning, Tyreece John-Jules must have been our player of the seaon because we averaged 3 points per appearance when he played (even though we were already winning and the scoreline didn't change after he came on).  Also, Jaden Brown was more effective than Barry Bannan, or Lee Gregory...

8 minutes ago, alanharper said:

By your reckoning, Tyreece John-Jules must have been our player of the seaon because we averaged 3 points per appearance when he played (even though we were already winning and the scoreline didn't change after he came on).  Also, Jaden Brown was more effective than Barry Bannan, or Lee Gregory...

Ffs don't mention Gregory!

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It's not about effectiveness.

Did they contribute to those games?

Yes.

Even if you play one minute, you still contributed, whether you score or not. It's a team game. Every man on the pitch contributes, just by being there.

What if you wandering about on the other side of the pitch stopped a prospective long ball, which, had you not been there, would have led to a goal?

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

Yes.

Even if you play one minute, you still contributed, whether you score or not. It's a team game. Every man on the pitch contributes, just by being there.

What if you wandering about on the other side of the pitch stopped a prospective long ball, which, had you not been there, would have led to a goal?

As has been pointed out over and over, Green didn't contribute to us winning because we hadn't scored in the 70 minutes that he was on the pitch against one of the worst teams in the league (we didn't score a single goal in any of his 3 league and cup appearances). Therefore his contribution ended when he was subbed, and the 2 goals we later scored to win the game had literally nothing to do with him so it's inaccurate to "credit" him with the points for the win.

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Yes.

Can you and @alanharperstart a separate thread about this please? Im sure this argument is well worthy of its own thread but it’s doing my head in having it endlessly pop up in this one!

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

As has been pointed out over and over, Green didn't contribute to us winning because we hadn't scored in the 70 minutes that he was on the pitch against one of the worst teams in the league (we didn't score a single goal in any of his 3 league and cup appearances). Therefore his contribution ended when he was subbed, and the 2 goals we later scored to win the game had literally nothing to do with him so it's inaccurate to "credit" him with the points for the win.

but it's a 90 minute game.

He was part of a TEAM that won, just because he missed the end bit, doesn't mean he wasn't part of it.

If you have a keeper, makes 20 world class saves, gets subbed in the 89th minute, but then you score and win 1-0. Did he contribute?

6 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

but it's a 90 minute game.

He was part of a TEAM that won, just because he missed the end bit, doesn't mean he wasn't part of it.

If you have a keeper, makes 20 world class saves, gets subbed in the 89th minute, but then you score and win 1-0. Did he contribute?

There are different levels of contribution. Let's consider a different scenario  - I am about to go bankrupt and my monthly bills are £2000, yet my income is £1500. My mortgage is £1500 and my other bills are all £100 or less. On top of that I spend £500 on smoking. In other words, I'm spending around £1000 more than I earn. By your reckoning, everything is equally contributing and you couldn't possibly suggest that one has a greater bearing on my spending than another. The insolvency practitioner on the other hand will tell me that I need to reduce my mortgage payments and stop smoking, if I did that I'd be able to carry on living in my property. You'd be advising that my mobile phone bill at £30pm is equally important, when the truth is it's pretty irrelevant when you look.at the bigger picture.

Green is exactly that - look at the bigger picture and you realise he was pretty irrelevant. 

I'll ask you a question back, ignoring the stats, do you think if Brown, Green and John-Jules had played all season we'd have gone up?