The atmosphere at 0-0

1 hour ago, PEARSON said:

The atmosphere yesterday was absolutely dreadful considering the importance of the game and the fact we needed 1 goal to get back into it.

I hate to say this but if you have a similar game at bramall lane or elland road then the stand behind the goal is stood up all game sucking the goal towards the goal, making it difficult for the opposing team and putting pressure on the referee any time there’s time wasting or a 50-50 decision. I’m a big believer in the 12th man and how it helps certain clubs pull results out of the hat when they’re playing at home. Hillsborough is like giving them a 12th man, making our team nervous, barely mustering up any noise when Sunderland had the ball. The top chants from the kop before we scored were ‘gerrin forward’ followed by ‘sit dahn, there’s kids ‘ere’ 

Of all the things that’s disappointed me the most from the two legs it’s our own fans. Hillsborough was like a library for the vast majority of the biggest game of the season. We’ll only get behind the players when we’re winning.

The performance creates the atmosphere.

You aren't going to cheer performances like the majority of play last night.

Look at the lift when the goal went in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If the players need the crowd to motivate them with promotion and a Wembley appearance on offer then that's not acceptable. They should be at it from the off.

The crowd always respond when the players show determination and effort

Genuine question. Have you ever done anything in front of a crowd? Like a half marathon or anything like that? If not I can’t describe how much of an impact a supportive crowd can have. 

1 hour ago, Bez said:

I was in North Stand and the atmosphere was the best I’ve ever seen at Hillsborough 

I was in the North too and atmosphere was great.

I think I went to a different game to most of the posters on this site.

What I saw was two evenly matched teams, playing out a tight semi final, that was decided in the 93rd minute. Both teams roared on by great support.

Not sure why people thought we were ever going to steamroller Sunderland. Then beat us comprehensively in the league game at theirs, and I think everyone accepts the 3-0 at Hillsborough was a bit fortunate for us. Then they brought in Alex Neil, who's firmed up the defence and got them to finish 1 point behind us in the league.

It was scrappy at times and neither keeper had much to do, but it wasn't for lack of effort or Moore's tactics, or lack of atmosphere.

It was a draw after 180 minutes, against a team with an almost identical league record. Disappointing to eventually lose like we did, but certainly no disgrace

Just now, PEARSON said:

Genuine question. Have you ever done anything in front of a crowd? Like a half marathon or anything like that? If not I can’t describe how much of an impact a supportive crowd can have. 

Yes, I've done half-marathons and I got cheered on.

I usually finish at least an hour behind the winner. Not sure if that helps.

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

Yes, I've done half-marathons and I got cheered on.

I usually finish at least an hour behind the winner. Not sure if that helps.

Was your time better or worse than when you ran without a crowd?

Oh ffs what the hell are we discussing fun runs for! No insult intended to any participants.  The crowds there are the epitomy of happy clappers, just going along to enjoy a spectacle with no real vested interest and therefore no tension or nerves. 

Crowds at important games can get tense and nervous as we did from time to time last night. I still maintain that in general we got behind the team in good voice last night. 

Sunderland were exactly the same. They went very quiet at theirs for the last 20 when we were on top and for most of the second half last night they went very quiet and very much so after we'd scored, because they probably feared the worst. 

Stop giving the supporters grief that they don’t deserve. The players and importantly, the manager, came up short last night. That’s just the way it was. 

• Like 2

I’m not comparing I’m just making the point a supportive crowd can help beyond internal motivation. Whatever the setting. 

I think supporters should support. My experience on the Kop last night wasn’t that. I didn’t think the atmosphere helped our players, infact I think it made it more nervy. Particularly for our defenders.

Obviously the majority of people in this thread disagree and think either the atmosphere was good or they’re in agreement that the atmosphere wasn’t the best but this is due to the nature of the game. Different opinions, maybe I need to sit somewhere different and/or lower my expectations.

1 hour ago, Geedee said:

I don't know the solution but considering the importance of the  i thought the kop looked very flat for large parts of the game.

We really need to get people on their feet and their eyes away from their phones

Maybe a manager that throws caution to the wind... Especially when it's poo or bust time..... Instead of thinking we're playing Real Madrid...... 

• Like 1

For people asking where I sat, I was on the kop. At 0-0 there almost no chanting and the majority of the noise came out of frustration, mainly towards our own defence.

Sounds like everyone else had a blast though.

Must have been a different kop to the one I was on, didn’t realise we had 2 

I agree the atmosphere wasn't great at 0-0.

But also, the performance gave the fans nothing to get behind. 

I believe it was Paul Sturrock who said it best, that Wednesday fans are different cos it's usually the team who get the crowd going, but here it's the other way. But if the team get the crowd going it's one of the best grounds in the country. 

He wasn't wrong then and he's not wrong now. No coincidence he's our only play off winning manager 

• Like 2

Had sex a few times. Put me off if anything to be honest 

• Haha 6

I find it strange that some people are in agreement with me (albeit saying that’s to be expect because of nerves and the way we played) and others are saying it’s the best atmosphere they’ve heard at Hillsborough. How anyone can say that game had a better atmosphere than the Brighton / Arsenal cup game is beyond me. Maybe Hillsborough doesn’t contain noise like other stadiums? The pockets of the ground that was atmospheric didn’t carry the noise to parts of the grounds where it wasn’t. I don’t know. Im just speaking for my own perspective which was that at 0-0 the atmosphere seemed flat and mainly negative around me.

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

On Sunderland forum…Their fans are saying after we scored the atmosphere was the best they have ever witnessed!!…unbelievable noise and scenes …..so 🖕

This thread is literally called ‘the atmosphere at 0-0’

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PEARSON said:

This thread is literally called ‘the atmosphere at 0-0’

So the atmosphere at bramall lane and Elland road would have been magical at 0-0 mid match then ?????????

But you carry on slagging Wednesday off mate 👍👍