The atmosphere at 0-0

41 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

This is my point though. Wednesday fans have a mentality that the players should get us up for it. It should be the other way round. We should be motivating them, intimidating the other team. 

Absolutely spot on. When we’re ahead in these huge games the atmosphere is great. What we struggle to do is to is lift it to the same level when everyone’s nervy. I don’t buy into this “the players need to give the fans something to shout about”, whenever we’re really behind the team vocally for a good 5 or 10 mins you can see the players raising their game, and then the crowd react even more.

I thought the atmosphere last night was similar to the Huddersfield play-off game - a tense and nervy crowd for a lot of the game apart from the North who did seem to be up for it. Compare that to the Brighton play-off where the whole place was rocking from the first minute to the last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PEARSON said:

The atmosphere yesterday was absolutely dreadful considering the importance of the game and the fact we needed 1 goal to get back into it.

I hate to say this but if you have a similar game at bramall lane or elland road then the stand behind the goal is stood up all game sucking the goal towards the goal, making it difficult for the opposing team and putting pressure on the referee any time there’s time wasting or a 50-50 decision. I’m a big believer in the 12th man and how it helps certain clubs pull results out of the hat when they’re playing at home. Hillsborough is like giving them a 12th man, making our team nervous, barely mustering up any noise when Sunderland had the ball. The top chants from the kop before we scored were ‘gerrin forward’ followed by ‘sit dahn, there’s kids ‘ere’ 

Of all the things that’s disappointed me the most from the two legs it’s our own fans. Hillsborough was like a library for the vast majority of the biggest game of the season. We’ll only get behind the players when we’re winning.

At Bramall Lane

lol

When I’m talking about it being a hard place to play I mean in games like last night. Not every game. And to the people saying how would I know what elland Road and bramall lane is like it’s because I’ve been as an away fan and also watched them play big games on tele. I don’t need to go every week. I’m talking big games and I’ve seen enough to be able to make a comparison. Im using them as examples because they’re comparable clubs, with comparable fanbases and it’s obvious how the atmospheres differ between us. Genuinely surprised by how many people seem shocked by my opinion. I’ve just watched the highlights back and it definitely backs up my view of it being quite.

The atmosphere yesterday was absolutely dreadful considering the importance of the game and the fact we needed 1 goal to get back into it.

I hate to say this but if you have a similar game at bramall lane or elland road then the stand behind the goal is stood up all game sucking the goal towards the goal, making it difficult for the opposing team and putting pressure on the referee any time there’s time wasting or a 50-50 decision. I’m a big believer in the 12th man and how it helps certain clubs pull results out of the hat when they’re playing at home. Hillsborough is like giving them a 12th man, making our team nervous, barely mustering up any noise when Sunderland had the ball. The top chants from the kop before we scored were ‘gerrin forward’ followed by ‘sit dahn, there’s kids ‘ere’ 

Of all the things that’s disappointed me the most from the two legs it’s our own fans. Hillsborough was like a library for the vast majority of the biggest game of the season. We’ll only get behind the players when we’re winning.

Fans fault again...... Ffs..... If you know anything about football..... Then you would have realised Sunderland out playd us... Bth games..... No wonder is ther..... 

Just now, Alwaysletyoudown said:

Fans fault again...... Ffs..... If you know anything about football..... Then you would have realised Sunderland out playd us... Bth games..... No wonder is ther..... 

Im not saying it’s the fans fault. I’m saying we didn’t help.

Depends where you sit.

I was in the North and T1 was in fine voice all game. Watched the game back this morning and all you could hear was the Kop. 

Granted, it wasn't quite Brighton but it was commented on multiple times by the commentators. To say it was 'dreadful' absolutely puzzles me, was you in the West stand lower?

• Like 2

I think the argument needs to be made that compared to the other teams mentioned the past 5 years have been frustratingly dreadful, that will play a part. Against Brighton we were having our best season for 15 or 16 years and we were absolutely outclassing them, don't forget the pigs got 16k for a playoff in league one not that long ago.

• Like 1

The jeers every time we were trying to build attacks from the back were making me feel stressed so I can’t imagine how the players took it. Let them play FFS

We (prior to scoring) created at atmosphere which resulted in the opposite of what we all wanted. Nervous players worried to take a risk to create a chance.

• Like 1

I smell Bacon...

Don't blame the fans. Blame the tactics. Five at the back, when you are one nil down? Sunderland defenders put under no real pressure when in possession?

No change to those tactics even though it was clear with half an hour to go it was not working?

• Like 3

I’m sorry, but the OP talking about a dreadful atmosphere is well off the mark. I thought for the most part, the whole ground got behind the team really well last night, despite Sunderland trying to suck the life out of the game with their tactics. 

just read the match report in this morning's Daily Telegraph, here's what their reporter said:-

Leading by a single goal from the first leg, they were facing a raucous crowd that acted as a 12th man, urging the hosts forward in their attempt to make their stay in the third tier last only one season. The home fans made a terrific din, disputing every decision from referee James Linington and making life uncomfortable for Neil’s team.

• Like 2

I don't know the solution but considering the importance of the  i thought the kop looked very flat for large parts of the game.

We really need to get people on their feet and their eyes away from their phones

• Like 1

Leeds and United would give it a go as Brighton did against us second leg with half a team, we went long ball both Sunderland games when they pressed and the players did not match the Sunderland players energy. Had the players given us more maybe the crowd response would be better.

• Like 1

For people asking where I sat, I was on the kop. At 0-0 there almost no chanting and the majority of the noise came out of frustration, mainly towards our own defence.

Sounds like everyone else had a blast though.

This is my point though. Wednesday fans have a mentality that the players should get us up for it. It should be the other way round. We should be motivating them, intimidating the other team. 

If the players need the crowd to motivate them with promotion and a Wembley appearance on offer then that's not acceptable. They should be at it from the off.

The crowd always respond when the players show determination and effort

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, should know better said:

Leeds and United would give it a go as Brighton did against us second leg with half a team, we went long ball both Sunderland games when they pressed and the players did not match the Sunderland players energy. Had the players given us more maybe the crowd response would be better.

The players gave their all. It wasn't good enough but I'm not having it that they didn't give 100%

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

When I’m talking about it being a hard place to play I mean in games like last night. Not every game. And to the people saying how would I know what elland Road and bramall lane is like it’s because I’ve been as an away fan and also watched them play big games on tele. I don’t need to go every week. I’m talking big games and I’ve seen enough to be able to make a comparison. Im using them as examples because they’re comparable clubs, with comparable fanbases and it’s obvious how the atmospheres differ between us. Genuinely surprised by how many people seem shocked by my opinion. I’ve just watched the highlights back and it definitely backs up my view of it being quite.

Well leeds were out of the top flight for 16 yrs and had a spell in the 3rd , United 6 years in the 3rd 

Must have been rocking !!