Shodipo

Luongo

Mendez Laing

Pato

Kamberi

Berahino

John Jules

Sow

We won’t be able to sign the vast amount we did this year, budget will be cut again - we won’t have the squad depth available to sign any of the quality we brought in. 

Who would you keep? 

Dean

Gibson

The rest can go - we desperately desperately need someone with some pace at the back, hopefully Gibson can overcome his issues and Dean can be the commander at the back. 

This needs to be another new dawn, last night was a shambles of the highest order - but it highlighted anyone with any pace can really get at us and cause us issues. We need a proper midfield dynamo who is a boss - and Luongo even looked leggy and out of sorts last night, pair them with Byers and Bannan and we’re OK. A tricky, pacey winger to get in behind to provide some crosses in - I wouldn’t re sign NML, he doesn’t have a head to play that wing back position. And we all know we need some fresh legs up top - we can’t rely on Windass being fit and a 34 year old leading the way all year. 

Finally, Moore won’t be sacked, which ultimately will cost us yet again as we’re engrained in giving failure another chance - we need someone to take on the foundations and basics and get us to that next level - he isn’t the man to do this and we’ll likely waste another third of the year watching us fumble around being scared to attack teams in the third tier of football. 

Out of that list, I'd probably only keep Hutch. When he plays though then it has to be at the centre of the back 3, and make him captain

I'd be a bit disappointed losing Loungo but feel like we need more energy in the middle. Breaking with him is painfully slow

Not sure why Gibson. Injured all season, and knowing what we do in that injury prone plans never recover at us then it is too much of a risk

8 minutes ago, UpGrahamHydesSleeve said:

I really want Gibson to stay. Think he’s due to be released, and left footed centre halves are like hens teeth. Could be a bargain.

I think Berahino will stay, and he should. He’s shown glimpses of form this season, and in my opinion should have played tonight. Windass is a luxury player who doesn’t fit into the team and we should sell him if we can.

if we did change formation then NML should be offered a contract too.

In the cold light of day we have seen some of the best football this season that I can remember watching. The players enjoy working with Moore so some might be persuaded to stay and I think he can get a few decent loans in as well.

We need to go for autos next season, though.

If it were possible, I'd love Storey to be here - permanent.

Dean I'm doubtful of - even though he might be one of the easier loanees to sign. Just not sure due to the massive time he had out of the squad.

I'd also love BPF back.

We’ve just had the best half-season points wise in the club’s history, why make dramatic changes if we don’t have to?

- Lower the average age of the squad

- Work on improving our defending from high balls into the box

- Work on stopping conceding late goals (which may be helped by lowering the age)

Even a 10% improvement on that this season and we’d have gone up automatic 

Edited by paulrs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Given we will be sticking to a 3-5-2, then we’re after:

Keeper

3 CB 

2 Wingbacks 

2 CM

2 Strikers 

The following are gone from today: 

BPF

Hutch

Storey 

Dean

Dunkley

Gibson

Shodipo

Luongo

Mendez Laing

Pato

Kamberi

Berahino

John Jules

Sow

We won’t be able to sign the vast amount we did this year, budget will be cut again - we won’t have the squad depth available to sign any of the quality we brought in. 

Who would you keep? 

Dean

Gibson

The rest can go - we desperately desperately need someone with some pace at the back, hopefully Gibson can overcome his issues and Dean can be the commander at the back. 

This needs to be another new dawn, last night was a shambles of the highest order - but it highlighted anyone with any pace can really get at us and cause us issues. We need a proper midfield dynamo who is a boss - and Luongo even looked leggy and out of sorts last night, pair them with Byers and Bannan and we’re OK. A tricky, pacey winger to get in behind to provide some crosses in - I wouldn’t re sign NML, he doesn’t have a head to play that wing back position. And we all know we need some fresh legs up top - we can’t rely on Windass being fit and a 34 year old leading the way all year. 

Finally, Moore won’t be sacked, which ultimately will cost us yet again as we’re engrained in giving failure another chance - we need someone to take on the foundations and basics and get us to that next level - he isn’t the man to do this and we’ll likely waste another third of the year watching us fumble around being scared to attack teams in the third tier of football. 

No chance we keep Dean and storey.

100% should offer Dunkley a contract, at this level he is a beast against physical sides. Of rest would keep Hutchinson for another year, rest can and probably will go.

Not going to be spending millions but we can fish in a bigger pool this summer, need to recruit well, get pace and physicality into the team.

We've the core of a good squad to build on and this time there are no restrictions on recruitment.

BPF - love him back, but don't think it's likely

Hutch - I think he's got another season in him. Being a ball playing CB and able to play multiple positions in his favour.

Storey - a player we should try to sign if available.

Dean - a player we should try to sign if affordable.

Dunkley - think he's gone, Moore doesn't seem a fan

Gibson - Moore likes him, left footed but never fit. A risk to persevere with him

Shodipo - not cut out for 352, doubtful he'll be back

Luongo - class since he returned, but hardly played before that. Can we risk his wage versus injury record.

Mendez Laing - Moore likes him, expect we'll try to keep him

Pato - a clown in the dressing room, runs around but genuinely don't see what he offers. Moore seems to like him though

Kamberi - obviously going back

Berahino - think he's done enough for another year

John Jules - Another loan wouldn't surprise me

Sow - a shirt filler when signed, expect he'll leave 

The crumb of comfort is that the salary cap protocols in L1 are lighter touch regulation than FFP applicable in the championship. We have opportunity to put together a championship ready squad this summer.

While limits exist, owners can donate or inject as much equity as they want. It depends how deep chansiri's pockets are and his appetite to fund recruitment. 

It's not a total rebuild this summer, more filling the gaps.

• Like 1

Given we will be sticking to a 3-5-2, then we’re after:

Keeper

3 CB 

2 Wingbacks 

2 CM

2 Strikers 

The following are gone from today: 

BPF

Hutch

Storey 

Dean

Dunkley

Gibson

Shodipo

Luongo

Mendez Laing

Pato

Kamberi

Berahino

John Jules

Sow

Who would you keep? 

Dean

Gibson

So to clear up, you wouldn't make an effort to keep Hutchinson who has been our most consistent centre back all season, Luongo who has held the centre midfield together and we've shown our vulnerability when he doesn't play, Berahino who has managed to win the fans over and will be on a very cheap deal i'm sure. But you'd keep two defenders who have played 10 games between them all season? Crazy. What's the obsession with Gibson? The lad has pulled on a wednesday shirt about 5 times, he's worse than Abdi. Get rid of all the wastes of a wage who never play.

Recruitment was very good last summer and but for half a season with 5 injured centre halves and our main strikers being out injured for most of the season we would have gone up in the automatics.

No Paxo, good summer ahead.

We lost a play off against the form side in the division who played excellently and have two premier league quality wide men, some of you lot need to calm the chuff down

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

So to clear up, you wouldn't make an effort to keep Hutchinson who has been our most consistent centre back all season, Luongo who has held the centre midfield together and we've shown our vulnerability when he doesn't play, Berahino who has managed to win the fans over and will be on a very cheap deal i'm sure. But you'd keep two defenders who have played 10 games between them all season? Crazy. What's the obsession with Gibson? The lad has pulled on a wednesday shirt about 5 times, he's worse than Abdi. Get rid of all the wastes of a wage who never play.

Yep - you've got it in one. 

Luongo is nearly in his 30's, Hutchinson in his 30's, Berahino is utter dog dirt and has shown glimpses in a full season. 

Stop falling in love and move on, there are better and younger players out there who need to come through and become Wednesday players and have something to prove now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Yep - you've got it in one. 

Luongo is nearly in his 30's, Hutchinson in his 30's, Berahino is utter dog dirt and has shown glimpses in a full season. 

Stop falling in love and move on, there are better and younger players out there who need to come through and become Wednesday players and have something to prove now. 

Them 3 would be the least of our problems though? It's not about moving on, we're a better side with Luongo and Hutchinson in it, that's been proved all season. Berahino is a cheap, decent option off the bench he's finished the season quite strong. Hutch and Luongo are far from over the hill and add good experience to the squad

• Like 1

Just now, WorrallOwl17 said:

Them 3 would be the least of our problems though? It's not about moving on, we're a better side with Luongo and Hutchinson in it, that's been proved all season. Berahino is a cheap, decent option off the bench he's finished the season quite strong. Hutch and Luongo are far from over the hill and add good experience to the squad

They got their @rses turned inside out these playoffs by a nimble, agile midfield. 

We need some agile players who don't look like they're running in sand and can complete a full season. 

DM needs to make one decision before he does anything.

Is he building the team around Gregory as main striker?

If yes, go 352, get rid of Berahino, NML, Sow, Pato, possibly Windass.

If no, go 4231, get rid of Gregory and Hunt.

Start with that, then move on from there.

5 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

They got their @rses turned inside out these playoffs by a nimble, agile midfield. 

We need some agile players who don't look like they're running in sand and can complete a full season. 

agreed we do, we missed FDB been on the bench tonight. Byers was crying out to come off after about 70 minutes. Not having that centre midfield option on the bench killed us 

• Like 1

Its essential we remove the big earners 

Now we are in league 1 for another season 

We simply cant afford the payout 

Hutchinson 

Bannan

Mass

Paterson 

Dunkley

Iorfa

All to be sold or released 

Theres best part 50 grand a week there alone 

Plus the loan players and 1 year deals expiring, we have a lot of wages saved and the money can be invested in younger ,fitter and hungry players 

We now need to focus on the club and get back a bit of reality in what we are spending 

Just now, WorrallOwl17 said:

agreed we do, we missed FDB been on the bench tonight. Byers was crying out to come off after about 70 minutes. Not having that centre midfield option on the bench killed us 

I'd love to know where FDB was - was he injured? 

Luongo and Byers were about 4/10 last night - and that is being kind. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

I'd love to know where FDB was - was he injured? 

Luongo and Byers were about 4/10 last night - and that is being kind. 

The middle 3 were passengers for 180 minutes. 1 killer Bannan pass in 2 matches were all them 3 offered, which means the occasion got to them because all 3 have been absolutely superb since January. If we did a player of the year since Jan then Byers takes it by a country mile. But all 3 went missing when we needed them the most. Maybe we could base the team round FDB and Denis next season?

A few need shifting on or loans not renewed

BPF

Sow

Kamberi

Storey

Hutchinson 

Brown

Id be surprised if Paterson, Windass, Loungo, maybe Bannan will fancy sticking around for another year in the pub league 

Luongo and Hutch need to go mate - it’s hard, but we’ve got to stop sticking to the old guard.

Get some new blood in who can become something here - them two above are both on their way out 

Luongo will go he’s too good for this level and has given us a year due to his injury record. He needs to be replaced.

Hutch as a CB there won’t be many better for this league next year.

back 3 of Hutch Dean Gibson next year with Palmer and Brennan to cover.

Guest Musttryharder
1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

Once we had square pegs in square holes this formation produced a very good second half to the season

They had a very good 80% of the second half the season. The missing 20% cost us dearly. 

So I think Peacock Storey Luongo will go from the starting team. Dawson will replace Peacock and if we can keep Dean Hutch and Gibson then we should have enough cover at CB.

Luongo will be very hard to replace. 

we need two wingbacks to compete with Hunt and Johnson.

We then need 2 strikers to compliment Gregory and Windass. I also think we need that special player the one who’s got a trick and can get bums off seats. Won’t always be a team player but it’s that something different we currently don’t have.

Then we need to get a lot out.

Dunkley Iorfa Brown Mendez Dele (if he’s not playing week in week out he needs to) Kamberi Sow Berahino