Fans Moaning

The loudest we were last night apart from the goal was moaning and fretting when the ball went back to the defence.

Our biggest game of the season where we needed to get behind them and I personally think the fans bottled it.

Think Twitter etc has also given people the idea that they can do what they want with a certain amount of anonymity, so doesn't surprise me about the abuse.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

Maybe I shouldn’t have been so direct with my language, but I stick by my point 

moaning about ‘that’ kind of language without doing anything about it is just abit odd 

but each to their own 

Is it odd or is it a sad fact in life that often the best course of action is no action, which admittedly does nothing to suppress the behavior but does avoid me getting my face punched.

The fact that I'm not man enough to be a "hero" on this shouldn't detract from the behavior of the aggressors.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

moaning about ‘that’ kind of language without doing anything about it is just abit odd 

but each to their own 

I would imagine many people still aren't comfortable with the confrontation aspect of reporting idiots

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

The loudest we were last night apart from the goal was moaning and fretting when the ball went back to the defence.

Our biggest game of the season where we needed to get behind them and I personally think the fans bottled it.

Think Twitter etc has also given people the idea that they can do what they want with a certain amount of anonymity, so doesn't surprise me about the abuse.

It's all a bit chicken and egg though, isn't it? 

I didn't see much on that pitch to really get the crowd geed up, though I thought the atmosphere was a lot better than some are making out. 

Can't comment upon what the OP has heard from certain fans. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's all a bit chicken and egg though, isn't it? 

I didn't see much on that pitch to really get the crowd geed up, though I thought the atmosphere was a lot better than some are making out. 

Can't comment upon what the OP has heard from certain fans. 

I'd usually agree, but last night was a one off that we really could have helped with, no matter what was happening on the pitch.

Certainly remember Brighton/Brentford playoff games being like that, whereas yesterday it was just everyone moaning.

Fortunately I didn't hear any racism, but the rest of it I heard. Very nearly kicked off near the gangway I was closest to after the goal, due to a few blokes stood there, refusing to sit down/move and not a steward in sight to resolve the situation. I did also hear a couple of people being asked to calm their language somewhat earlier in the game by people in attendance with children and that fell on deaf ears. 

The saddest part is that all the culprits were more than old enough to know better. 

I don't think calling a woman a stupid f...ing  c..t  is part of being en wrapped in the game and just usual abuse at games, the stewards and anyone who heard that should have told him to shut up or get him out, that's disgraceful and if I'd have heard that I would have definitely said something, big mouth and brave abusing a woman....ffs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Yes, I'm a fan who is moaning. Glad to have got pointing out that irony out the way.

Last night was my first game this season, i was so excited... Plotting how i was going to fall back in love with actually attending games.

If i cut back on x i can afford to get a season ticket and if i stop doing on Saturdays i would be able to attend most matches...

Then i remembered, or rather was reminded how annoying fans can be.

You've got the old timer to my left who we should build a team around next season - he spent 105 minutes using very colorful language, some from a bygone era when his words weren't quite so shocking as they were last night, alluding to the fact he could head a ball better than Storey, pass better than Bannan, tackle better than Byers, actually put in crosses unlike Johnson, get on the end of crosses unlike Gregory... Honestly, he might have been in his 70s but i think he's the answer.

You've got the 20 something two rows in front of me who when asked (very politely and considered) to sit down as the lady behind him (doing the asking) couldn't see, turned around and told her to "F Off you stupid F'ing C" whilst spraying about five rows with saliva. He then appeared purposely stand up as much as possible whilst hurling abuse at our players.

You've got three or four blokes immediately behind me using language that'd be a hate crime in any other setting. Towards our players.

Then there's the general noise of the same thing happening further away from me.

In no way do i think it transmitted to the players and I'm sure the same plays out in every stadium, i don't think we have a monopoly on idiots but i heard enough to know I'm looking forward to following next season from my sofa.

I'm sure I'll be missed so please feel free to tell me so in reply.

Whilst not condoning the more extreme behaviour, I think if you’d actually been to more than just the one ‘marquee’ game which your ‘judgements are based on, you would see this behaviour as itself an ‘extreme’. Go to an ‘average’ game and these ‘extremes’ are not in evidence (in the main).

You clearly don’t take into account how high tensions were running bearing in mind the importance of the game and the fact it had been building for weeks, not to mention the build up prior to the game which no doubt involved copious amounts of alcohol. (Again not justifying the worst excesses).

The inept referee did not help matters nor did the appalling way Sunderland under Alex Neill conducted themselves, time wasting & cheating from minute five. This all contributed to the heated atmosphere.

Myself & my two grown up son’s sit on the Kop & we were a load more ‘vocal’ shall we say, than we usually are, especially towards the brain dead officials.

A couple more points, expecting people to remain seated during a game of this nature ain’t going to happen (whilst again not condoning the resultant abuse you refer to).

The other point among your numerous gripes seems to be a thinly veiled reference to ‘racism’. If you are going to make these allegations (as seems par for the course these days), then don’t make general allegations. You seem specific enough about all your other points. Be specific about the actual racist comments you claim. Otherwise it just falls into all the other hysterical racist claims banded about in all other walks of life.

I’m not going down the ‘part timer’ route here, (I was hugely supportive of ‘part timers’ in the recent debate about the subject), but it DOES create more of those divisions when people go to one one game and automatically assume this is ‘par for the course’ for ALL matches. Go to a couple of ‘normal’ games & make your judgements accordingly.

Meanwhile, all us foul mouthed, uneducated, female abusing, opinionated racists will once again rock up next year to make up the 21,000 who will watch the ‘routine’ goings on that do however keep the club in business.

The only other thing I have to add. PLEASE PLEASE, don’t go to any away matches. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Silkstone Owl said:

but each to their own 

Come off it you can’t expect people to tackle that sort of behaviour and have you SEEN the stewards? Tackling potential beered up or coked up people needs zoo keepers not middle aged men How would you even prove you were not the Cause of the trouble,if it kicked off?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Yes, I'm a fan who is moaning. Glad to have got pointing out that irony out the way.

Last night was my first game this season, i was so excited... Plotting how i was going to fall back in love with actually attending games.

If i cut back on x i can afford to get a season ticket and if i stop doing on Saturdays i would be able to attend most matches...

Then i remembered, or rather was reminded how annoying fans can be.

You've got the old timer to my left who we should build a team around next season - he spent 105 minutes using very colorful language, some from a bygone era when his words weren't quite so shocking as they were last night, alluding to the fact he could head a ball better than Storey, pass better than Bannan, tackle better than Byers, actually put in crosses unlike Johnson, get on the end of crosses unlike Gregory... Honestly, he might have been in his 70s but i think he's the answer.

You've got the 20 something two rows in front of me who when asked (very politely and considered) to sit down as the lady behind him (doing the asking) couldn't see, turned around and told her to "F Off you stupid F'ing C" whilst spraying about five rows with saliva. He then appeared purposely stand up as much as possible whilst hurling abuse at our players.

You've got three or four blokes immediately behind me using language that'd be a hate crime in any other setting. Towards our players.

Then there's the general noise of the same thing happening further away from me.

In no way do i think it transmitted to the players and I'm sure the same plays out in every stadium, i don't think we have a monopoly on idiots but i heard enough to know I'm looking forward to following next season from my sofa.

I'm sure I'll be missed so please feel free to tell me so in reply.

I don't condone abusive behaviour towards an OAP and he was probably bang out of order but good god how soft is society these days??? It sounds like you'd have been better off watching on the TV or turning all the lights off and listening to it on the wireless in your bedroom.

Seriously why do people get so upset with rubbish like this?? 

16 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I don't condone abusive behaviour towards an OAP and he was probably bang out of order but good god how soft is society these days??? It sounds like you'd have been better off watching on the TV or turning all the lights off and listening to it on the wireless in your bedroom.

Seriously why do people get so upset with rubbish like this?? 

It’s not “rubbish”, it really isn’t.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

It’s not “rubbish”, it really isn’t.

No one as ever died because someone swore!! 

We are working class people from a working class city...is it right? absolutely not!! Is worth getting upset about and thinking about never going again...absolutely not.

So many sensitive people...and overly sensitive about insignificant things.

Yes, I don't agree with verbal abuse toward anyone, especially an OAP's. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

We are working class people from a working class city...is it right? absolutely not!! Is worth getting upset about and thinking about never going again...absolutely not.

But it’s not insignificant.

You don’t know what’s going off in peoples lives, how an insult you deem insignificant might push someone over the edge.

And don’t come back and say it won’t happen. And why should one aśśhole be allowed to spoil things for others just because that’s how it’s always been?

Because I’m just pig sick of people just saying and doing whatever the fizz they want nowadays. If that makes me sensitive, then I’m glad to be sensitive and not one of the morons who seems to be breeding in society.

But that’s another debate for another day.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Would you think it acceptable if someone shouted at your wife and called her a stupid c*nt, while she was at work?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I've just said I don't condone it...selective reading!!

Yeah I read your post.

No one died because someone swore, but you don't condone it.

Bit confusing if I'm honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are many parts of Hillsborough on a match day where you can find a seat in a quieter area and avoid this kind of thing. Better to be there than on a couch and I's love the chance to be there in person but I'm 4,500 miles away, missing the live match day experience enormously.

I used to take my boys when they were 5 through to late teens, and I was a little worried about the language, but realized they were hearing much worse at school. There's even equally worse on TV nowadays. And then there's the option of the family seating where it will be more sanitized if the language is still a worry.

I'd love to see Hillsborough with 30,000 in it every game - Sunderland achieved that on many occasions this season - but it also needs attractive pricing and some thought behind various sections at Hillsborough e.g. a section for those who go away so they can recreate the away atmosphere at home by all sitting together, and we need to recruit those fans who want to sing and put them in blocks so the atmosphere comes from different parts of the ground - left field thinking but why not create a kids singing section so kids can be all together inside the ground and let them play a part in the atmosphere - while the parents sit in the same stand somewhere else and meet them afterwards. We need a brainstorm as to how we can most effectively meet all of our fans needs- those who want it quiet and sanitized, those who want to sing their hearts out etc... football tends to treat all of its 'customers' the same - here is a seat, watch the match - we need to be more creative and different than everybody else.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, markowl said:

Yeah I read your post.

No one died because someone swore, but you don't condone it.

Bit confusing if I'm honest.

nothing confusing at all...my point is, I wouldn't let someone swearing stop me from going to the match. 

If people are as sensitive as that then they would never go to anything!! you hear it work, in the shops, public areas, pubs...pretty much everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1