Referee

All he had to do was stamp his authority on the game in the first ten minutes.  With a few cards if necessary. 

He didn't do that and he paid for it by players/O'Neil taking the p@ss out of him all game.

His let it flow attitude was never going to work in such a high profile and high energy match with so much at stake with a certain manager ready to manage the game himself.  

• Like 2

He was a shambles, but nothing we haven't come to expect, it was another who it was just too much for.

I've been saying this for years, but we need to stop being a soft touch with the officials too - players and staff.  Its not nice, but they come here and know that its a great chance for them to show how tough they are, standing up to the home crowd and not being swayed etc., and they over-compensate.  They know they'll maybe get a bit of booing from the crowd but other than that generally get an easy ride from players and coaching staff.  That referee tonight wouldn't have dreamed of trying that performance at Sunderland with Neil on his case.  We need to smarten up on that front if we want out of this league next year.

(As bad as he was, he wasn't the reason we didn't play football for 2 games though, before anyone says)

• Like 5

Why do referees choose not to enforce some laws of the game. Keepers can handle the ball for 6 seconds. Was an occasion where their keeper must have had it about 20 and nothing done. Either scrap the law or enforce it FFS.

I suggest next season, whenever an opposition keeper picks the ball up, we should all start counting out loud. DM and BB (assuming they're both still here) should be in the officials ears asking what the rules are. 

• Like 2

Wasn’t just the ref. Plenty of things going off right in front of the linesman’s “assistant  referees’” and I don’t think they made a single decision other than the usual throw ins, offsides etc

Poor  but so was the ref on the first game. Was it O'nein with the foul on Byers and the dive  both bookable. 

And the very late challenge in the first 5 mins of  the first game, recall Shaw getting sent off for less. 

I just found it a bit weird that he was insistent (to both teams tbf) that every free kick was taken in the exact spot of the foul. All the Sunderland shoves and time-wasting, and the most blatant dive ever nah. But you move that ball back 36cm and take it from the right spot. 

6 hours ago, nebneeb said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Sammy getting smashed in the back of the head so badly he had to go off looking dizzy. Clearly no penalty as head butts are fair game if the recipient is in blue and white.

I thought the same. If the player had been that late with Sammy shooting with his foot it would have been a pen.

• Like 1

The only thing the ref got right was the added time at the end of added time. 10 mind added on that turned into 13 or 14mins (or so it felt)?

He couldn't wait to book one of our players and although neither Bannan or Byers are hatchet men he skewed the balance of the midfield battle by booking them both for nothing, early in the game so they were both a bit standoffish going into challenges. On the other hand the only card that ref will ever give O'Nien is a fruity Valentine's card.

The level of inconsistency on the handling of fouls was incredible, the lack of action on Pritchard diving bewildering and the allowance of slow timing from minute one completely ridiculous. Having said that he really stood up booking their player for time wasting in the 100th minute... That showed them time wasting would be punished...

If the game had finished 0-0 we could legitimately track down his home and visit it, pitchforks and all, but once we got the goal we should have done so much better.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I’ve seen better but some of the creatures around me that I’d not seen all season shouting for every single decision were ridiculous. I get the ‘passion’ but ffs. 

Give me 18,000 regulars every week over some of these buffoons. I’m beginning to dislike big crowds. A lot. It brings out the 3 game a season hero that has a built in VAR system. 

Lad next to me stank like a wet dog and was around 30 stone. Last ball he kicked was in nursery, but he reffed it superbly with his in built VAR system from his own seat, wrong size shorts and archaic industrial language that the 8 year old sat next to him couldn’t fathom.

He was also tactically spot on, and called Moores substitutions long before the qualified football manager did. I’m just surprised Moore didn’t ask him for next steps and guidance on his UEFA A coaching badge. 

What he didn’t know about football wasn’t worth knowing. Genius. 

Edited by vulva
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Said at the time that the tackle on Byers was a yellow at least. As soon as he let it go I knew wee were playing against 14 men. 

What's this talk of him being a pig? He reffed it as though he was but surely not? 

He was either a pig a makem or an absolutely clueless ,eyes painted on  useless fuûckwît. Take your pick?

• Like 1