How much can a manager do?

Just now, elyowl1 said:

Agree but it doesn't help when your reduced to playing a right back and a left winger at centrehalf. 

Whoever the manager is next season i just hope we dont have a revolving door system for our defence due to constant injuries. 

Agreed but there has been times this season when he’s elected to play a fullback at centre half rather than a centre half.

I remember at Oxford for example he went with Johnson and left Storey on the bench which IMO cost us a result that day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Agree but it doesn't help when your reduced to playing a right back and a left winger at centrehalf. 

Whoever the manager is next season i just hope we dont have a revolving door system for our defence due to constant injuries. 

He didn’t have to play a left winger there with Brennan available and on the bench 

• Thanks 1

Some balanced views on this thread. I think Moore is ta tactically naive and has some shortfalls, but he also has some real positives.

He wants to play attractive football, he has formed a team spirit, he has good links within the game and he's a decent leader of the club who the media like. One thing very noticeable tonight and at the SOL was how deep Johnson and Hunt sat for most of the game. Johnsons crossing is one of our greatest threats and he just wasn't getting forward enough, which I think must be due to DMs instructions.

What that then caused was our 2 WBs marking their 2 support forwards (Clarke and Pritchard) meaning our 3 CBs were marking Stewart. That left us with 2 spare men at the back and they were overloading us elsewhere. For a brief spell on Friday at the start of the 2nd half he went 4 at the back, pushing Hutch into midfield, I think to counter that, but we couldn't play it so he abandoned it around the 66th minute mark.

Many have said our squad is the best in the league but I don't agree, we lack a true target man (Smith/Stewart type), we've played all season without a LCB, we don't have enough pace in midfield and weve not got any CH bullies that most teams have. Only Bannan got into the team of the year despite us being 4th for a reason. Our recruitment in the close season needs to be really good and focused, DM absolutely deserves another year at it, but there's no denying he has some drawbacks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OwlerIT2 said:

He didn’t have to play a left winger there with Brennan available and on the bench 

Then your assuming that every player  on the bench is fit and ready to play, not always sure thats the case. 

Or that Brennan was ready for consistent first team football, for all his faults the one thing i truly hope is that the manager knows what makes a centrehalf. 

Im left with the conclusion in choosing Johnson over Brennan is that hes either not ready of Darren doesn't rate him and im leaning towards the latter. 

6 hours ago, McRightSide said:

The ‘tactically outclassed’ thing is just the latest cliche rolled out by the unthinking fan

It happened v’s Hull it happened v’s Huddersfield over two legs, this Sunderland result is not a surprise.

Moore has proved to be tactically naive, just like Carlos, Leeds went through the very process we are going through and have proved by employing a Manager of substance (Marcelo Bielsa) they can get where they want to go,

Can we afford to employ a Manager of Marcelo Bielsa substance?

Can we afford not to?