Jump to content

How much can a manager do?


Recommended Posts

Read stuff about tactics and how he got it wrong over 2 legs - but if anyone can make suggestions about what he should have done differently then feel free to post. 
 

Both legs it came down to them wanting it more and being first to most of the balls - can a manager do that much to influence that, I’m not so sure.

 

And there will be people that say ‘get rid of those who don’t play for the shirt’ - that’s utter rubbish, every single player on that pitch has hid the right mentality all season. 
 

Sometimes got to hold your hand up and accept we were out played and out fought. 
 

Hope Sunderland do it in the final as it’s a massive club that’s been in that division for too long. 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They were just the better side over the two games. Disappointed but not in the effort. 
if we recruit well and retain most of the players we should be looking to push for autos next season. 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Read stuff about tactics and how he got it wrong over 2 legs - but if anyone can make suggestions about what he should have done differently then feel free to post. 
 

Both legs it came down to them wanting it more and being first to most of the balls - can a manager do that much to influence that, I’m not so sure.

 

And there will be people that say ‘get rid of those who don’t play for the shirt’ - that’s utter rubbish, every single player on that pitch has hid the right mentality all season. 
 

Sometimes got to hold your hand up and accept we were out played and out fought. 
 

Hope Sunderland do it in the final as it’s a massive club that’s been in that division for too long. 

At MKD we HAD to be bold to get back on track and we won. These last two games we didn't  seem to have the same mindset. Credit to Sunderland  though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What can he do? For me its 2 things.

 

1. Pick the right players/formation = which for me, tonight, he did. But all too often this season, for me, he hasnt.

 

2. Use his substitutions timely, wisely and change things tactically by doing so = this, for me, is where DM struggles consistently.

 

After that, yes, its all down to the players.

Edited by steelerian
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

My own opinion is over the course of the season he’s failed to organise our defence.

 

On far too many occasions we have looked vulnerable at the back and have frequently failed to see out games when in a winning position.

 

Unavoidably  true.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes other teams are better.

 

Not a lot in it, but they are decent. Their wide players have pace to burn and a forward who is one of the best in the league, added to which, typical Alex Neil defensive solidity. We couldn't afford to push up like we usually do as we'd have been picked off on the break. 

 

No lack of effort and we lost by the odd goal. I don't think there was anything obvious that Moore could have done.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A half decent manager with our squad would have won us promotion without having to muck around with the play offs.

 

Tonight wasn't the issue really. Sunderland did a job on us, forced us to go long too often, and kept the ball out of play (often cheating without punishment, but teams will do that while ever the authorities allow it).

 

Substituting Hunt wasn't what I'd have done (said it at the time), and that probably cost us the game. But that's being ultra harsh because I could understand the change even if I didn't agree with it.

 

Moore did get it wrong on Friday night though. And that is ultimately why Sunderland were able to do what they did tonight.

 

Going to their place and trying to "stay in the game" as Moore said, was stupid.

 

We should have been in their faces, trying to force errors higher up the pitch and not letting them settle. Instead we stood off them as if we were just grateful for the privilege of sharing a pitch with such famous players. 

 

But we stand a good chance of seeing more wins that losses at Hillsborough again next season, so there is that... 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

My own opinion is over the course of the season he’s failed to organise our defence.

 

On far too many occasions we have looked vulnerable at the back and have frequently failed to see out games when in a winning position.

 


 

Fair point 

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, steelerian said:

What can he do? For me its 2 things.

 

1. Pick the right players/formation = which for me, tonight, he did. But all too often this season, for me, he hasnt.

 

2. Use his substitutions timely, wisely and change things tactically by doing so = this, for me, is where DM struggles consistently.

 

After that, yes, its all down to the players.


 

 

Agree with all these points mate

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many times this season have we been struggling, and Moore comes up with a tactical switch to turn the game round? It's like for like all the time, he just won't deviate from the 352, he just changes personnel with his subs and hopes for the best. 

 

I have however seen other managers change tactics against us to get a result several times, and Moore doesn't have an answer tactically, just carries on the same, Oxford away being a good example. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we put a lot of focus on attack. So when we win, we win really well and we’ve usually seen some brilliant football. I do think it makes us a little soft at times. 
 

I think Moore struggles to change a game that’s not going our way. We play 352/532 and will not change that under any circumstances. Chris Wilder is famous for this system, but even at Sheffield United when the system wasn’t working he would drop a CB and go 442 or even 41212. 
 

Moore certainly isn’t a bad manager, I do worry he’s not adaptable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, alanharper said:

How many times this season have we been struggling, and Moore comes up with a tactical switch to turn the game round? It's like for like all the time, he just won't deviate from the 352, he just changes personnel with his subs and hopes for the best. 

 

I have however seen other managers change tactics against us to get a result several times, and Moore doesn't have an answer tactically, just carries on the same, Oxford away being a good example. 

Ironic thing is, he doesnt even want to play 532, he wants to play 4231.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had to be braver on the ball at the back when they were pressing. We were just playing low risk stuff lumping it to Gregory and subsequently were playing in our half too much of the time. We are a team who plays through the thirds. Why did we stop doing this for the play offs?

 

Because just like Carlos against Huddersfield, Moore lost confidence in attacking like we have been doing and decided to keep things tight. Even the goal was virtually the same. Its a failure of leadership from manager and players.

 

They played it out. We didnt. They controlled the game until we finally got on top but then - again - we lost our shape.

 

The fans were incredible but we were let down again.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

My own opinion is over the course of the season he’s failed to organise our defence.

 

On far too many occasions we have looked vulnerable at the back and have frequently failed to see out games when in a winning position.

 

Agree but it doesn't help when your reduced to playing a right back and a left winger at centrehalf. 

Whoever the manager is next season i just hope we dont have a revolving door system for our defence due to constant injuries. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...