Moore says ...

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Which of those three points do you disagree with 

the good season but…we’ve had played ok for about 30% of it. It’s been very tough to watch at times!!

the injury time goals as pretty much ruined our season on so many occasions…last night included 

• Thanks 1

Personally don’t think there’s any need to change the manager. End of October, I wanted him out after the wretched early season performances but we have improved and we’ve just fallen short.

Id give him another year with a mandate of promotion. I just feel we need a few young players with some legs to complement our experienced lads. 

7 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

the good season but…we’ve had played ok for about 30% of it. It’s been very tough to watch at times!!

the injury time goals as pretty much ruined our season on so many occasions…last night included 

Yeah those last minute goals have been very painful that's for sure!

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Hopefully he has learned some hard lessons from the season about not playing players out of position, strange tactics he would sometimes play and just playing more positive attacking football. He deserves to start the season as manager I think but he has to start well. 

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

I've said in other posts that I think that Neil for them is like Jones was for us.

Someone with a lot of experience who'd managed at a higher level, but who's stock had fallen.

That's really what we need again.

What is indisputable, even by the most ardent Moorists on the site, is that over the two legs we were outwitted.

Anyone who watched those two games would arrive at that conclusion, I'm sure.

Let's face it, we were absolutely bobbar for 80% of the time over the two legs.

In fact, I think if anything we were worse at home than away, which implies that he'd learned more about us after the first match than we'd learned about them.

They were the better team over the two legs but only just imo. I think this building up of Neil as some master tactician and Moore as way inferior is just over the top.  Had Hutch not made the error in the first leg would they have scored? Who knows. It was a tight tie between two competitive teams, there wasn’t a lot in it imo. Fine margins and all that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I don't think anyone's saying Neil's a genius, or he wouldn't be at this level.

But he's better than Daz.

Which is why he's in the final and Daz isn't.

He 'outclassed' him by an injury time goal. The way some people are going on we lost by a cricket score. Ridiculous degrees of petulance, second guessing and borderline revelling in the despondency of defeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

They were the better team over the two legs but only just imo. I think this building up of Neil as some master tactician and Moore as way inferior is just over the top.  Had Hutch not made the error in the first leg would they have scored? Who knows. It was a tight tie between two competitive teams, there wasn’t a lot in it imo. Fine margins and all that.

Absolutely.

They came to our place a goal to the good courtesy of a defensive error rather than any genius tactics on Alex Neil's part.

What they attempted last night, pretty successfully, was simply to stifle the game and frustrate us. Fair enough, they're entitled to do that, but again it's hardly a tactical masterclass. And it didn't even work, because we eventually converted one of our chances and suddenly it's all square.

For my money DM didn't do a whole lot wrong yesterday. He picked arguably his best starting XI, kept his head, wasn't panicked into making changes, stuck to the plan, and eventually it paid off. We could about the manner of their injury time goal, but at that time we were in the ascendency and doing what a lot of the fans had been crying out for - going for the winning goal.

As you say, fine margins.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Our squad this season was overrated by many.  We have an unbelievable player at this level in bannan that distorts the view of of fans. 
The manager has done an excellent job this season and should be retained, and with transfer ban lifted we can hopefully now invest in fitter, stronger, younger players who will make a difference, rather than creaking casts offs on frees. 

Our squad was enormous. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah those last minute goals have been very painful that's for sure!

There has been some really good performances but there has been so many painful ones as well!!

The lack of ability to see games out is so frustrating. I've been watching us for 25 years and I cannot ever recall a season where we have thrown so many points away from winning positions as we have down over the course of the last two years.

I don't want to get into any debate about individual players but just watch that goal back from last night...2/3 players where out of position throughout their entire build up. its unforgivable really in such an important game. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Absolutely.

They came to our place a goal to the good courtesy of a defensive error rather than any genius tactics on Alex Neil's part.

What they attempted last night, pretty successfully, was simply to stifle the game and frustrate us. Fair enough, they're entitled to do that, but again it's hardly a tactical masterclass. And it didn't even work, because we eventually converted one of our chances and suddenly it's all square.

For my money DM didn't do a whole lot wrong yesterday. He picked arguably his best starting XI, kept his head, wasn't panicked into making changes, stuck to the plan, and eventually it paid off. We could about the manner of their injury time goal, but at that time we were in the ascendency and doing what a lot of the fans had been crying out for - going for the winning goal.

As you say, fine margins.

Fine margins but that’s what you have to get right . I thought we were going to win esp after Gregory scored. When our wing backs have to defend, we often see we have weak defensive full backs. It is the most demanding position and DM like most modern managers, likes to play wing backs but we do not have the players, last season or this season. 
Playing out from the back is another mistake and Hutch was doubtless thinking of playing football by passing back to the keeper when he let Stewart in. Even at Fleetwood away we were conceding goals by playing football in dangerous positions. 
And bringing in Windass was another move which was supposed to look smart but Gregory needs someone to play with him , not a dasher. Gregory in the last few months has become our most consistent centre forward for decades but he lacked support last night. He needed one of his regular partners, not a new partner.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

There has been some really good performances but there has been so many painful ones as well!!

The lack of ability to see games out is so frustrating. I've been watching us for 25 years and I cannot ever recall a season where we have thrown so many points away from winning positions as we have down over the course of the last two years.

I don't want to get into any debate about individual players but just watch that goal back from last night...2/3 players where out of position throughout their entire build up. its unforgivable really in such an important game. 

Looking at the goal in disbelief. I was initially convinced it was Palmer who stood off. I was wrong. Was Palmer in a centre back replacement position,  for Hutch?

I'd give him the summer to recruit a few players, his recruitment bar brown, sow and kamberi was decent. Let him recruit and give him a few months, if we're out of the playoffs and hovering around 8th/9th like we did for most of this season then get rid before it's too late. Judge it around November/December. Am i okay to say that Neil? I know you shake your head disapprovingly at anyone who knocks Moore, so am i okay to say get rid if we're out of the playoffs around christmas time? 

20 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Looking at the goal in disbelief. I was initially convinced it was Palmer who stood off. I was wrong. Was Palmer in a centre back replacement position,  for Hutch?

Hutch the last two games as looked off the pace, looks to have lost a yard of pace...maybe his injuries are taking their toll??

Palmer was out of position. You could see in his efforts to block the cross/shot that he knew he'd been caught out.

I am not sure who is out of contract in the next month or so but I would like to see some changes. We need some youth and we need some pace as well. Gregory needs a reliable friend up top with him as well.

2 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Sound.

Lets start again then with a new manager. Who has his own preferences and, will need to build a squad to suit…

I havnt called for DM to go but I have said he should change and I have said why

1 hour ago, Five Archers said:

I agree, taxi for Mark

Na na ....these Taxi jokes are so 2004! 

Let's have a look at what Sunderland did as an example, they got rid of LJ whilst still in the play offs because they knew he wasn't the man to lead them to promotion, they recruited Alex Neil BECAUSE they knew he will be the man to get them up!...a great call if you ask me.

Darren Moore has a fantastic squad here, better then Rotherham and Wycome - the teams we came down with, yet they have progressed further....its basic facts.

Wednesday fans nowadays just want a Wembley trip or a promotion run and are happy...we should be expecting much much more ...Chancer brought us into this mess yet he's still a god to some! It's weird.

It's my opinion, I just don't feel Moore is the man to take us up.

Taxi for me - har har.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

Na na ....these Taxi jokes are so 2004! 

Let's have a look at what Sunderland did as an example, they got rid of LJ whilst still in the play offs because they knew he wasn't the man to lead them to promotion, they recruited Alex Neil BECAUSE they knew he will be the man to get them up!...a great call if you ask me.

Darren Moore has a fantastic squad here, better then Rotherham and Wycome - the teams we came down with, yet they have progressed further....its basic facts.

Wednesday fans nowadays just want a Wembley trip or a promotion run and are happy...we should be expecting much much more ...Chancer brought us into this mess yet he's still a god to some! It's weird.

It's my opinion, I just don't feel Moore is the man to take us up.

Taxi for me - har har.

Fantastic logic.

Sunderland all but employed Roy Keane. They had no idea who they wanted and dropped on their feet.

Neil he achieved nothing yet. If they don’t beat Wycombe their gamble has failed. If we sack Moore and, his replacement gets the play offs, is that progress?