Back Darren Moore

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Loads of people said that we should have got rid of Carlos after his negative and tacticless games against Huddersfield. And they were proved right the next season. 

Deja vu... 

Carlos had the personnel though, Moore has had to make do with scraps.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TheSlicer said:

I think Moore not being shackled by chansiri is a positive. Previous managers have, and I dare say if Moore goes then the next one will. 

This time I don't think anyone can apportion any blame to Channers.

Moore's had a free hand.

Reading other fans' forums, listening to their podcasts and players' interviews, many believed us to have the strongest squad in the division.

For once, this isn't Chansiri's fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Absolute rubbish.

Are you seriously suggesting there are better squads in this division?

The results since January prove that.

This season was lost in the Summer.

He decided to play 4-3-3, bought wingers and no centre backs.

Then changed his mind. Because his wingers weren’t good enough and he didn’t have a good left back in the whole squad.

if he’d bought a couple of centre backs instead of Corbeanu, Shodipo, Sow etc and started with the 3-5-2 we ended up with, we’d have walked it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Scraps??

I know we weren’t allowed to spend fees on players but are you honestly saying the likes of Bannan, Luongo, Gregory, Hunt, Johnson, Dean, Hutchinson, Storey and Byers are to be considered “scraps” at third division level??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

But this squad isn't scraps.

For instance, after we played MK Dons an interviewer interviewed one of their players.

He said to the player "You've come up against arguably the best squad in the division".

This squad is stronger compared to the rest of the Third, than Carlos' squad was compared to the rest of the Championship. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Scraps? He's had one of the biggest, if not the biggest, wage budget in the division. OK he hasn't been able to spend money on transfer fees but neither has the majority of the rest of the division, and most of his recruitment has been from a division higher than ours.

41 minutes ago, should know better said:

Bannan, Luomgo and Byers ok when we are bullying teams but can't cope with any team that chases us. BB as guilty of anyone for just lofting aimless balls forward to nowhere over both legs. Midfield lack of defensive battle and mobility isolated the front two again and as in many games offered very little protection to the back line.

We can get away with it against poor teams but not against anyone who presses us.. 

this is a great summary pal. Sunderland had players all over the pitch willing and able to carry the ball we simply didn’t have the legs to get near them. We desperately need someone like Kamara at Plymouth and more energy in there. FDB has another years experience and Adeniran showed flashes throughout the early part of the season but we need reinforcements adding to. Our midfield tonight looked what it is one paced and became very predictable when Sunderland got in their faces. 
Would love Bannan to stay with these kind of players in and around him. We can live in hope. UTO 

• Like 1

Mixed feelings re Moore. 
I like the guy but after initially doing well we were shocking up to Christmas. Yep, lots of injuries didn’t help but we had some terrible results. I’d have happily seen him gone after the Sunderland and Shrewsbury defeats. 
But we had a really good second half to the season and it would be harsh if he got the sack. Not really bothered about that though,  if we could get a better manager in I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him go. 
Sunderland tonight definitely had the better manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

At what point do the players shoulder some responsibility? He’s picked the same side that got us here, with the best home record in the league, playing the same system we have for 30 games. The fact is, we have been out run and out fought. It’s isn’t Moore’s fault, he isn’t on the pitch. Some of our much vaunted players, in reality, we’re not good enough over both legs. We need more athleticism and a younger squad, while keeping the best bits of this season.

Quick question

Was it the players who decided they would play at a leisurely pace and not close down Sunderland defenders. Like we had all the time in the world

I've said numerous times, I expected a Brighton away experience tonight when the game started and we couldn't have started as half arsed as we did if we tried

My issue with Moore is he’s seems to have got a knack for finding ways to completely unbalance a team when he’s just found a balanced formula. For me that’s where our inconsistencies have stemmed from. It’s encouraged errors, made our play predictable and ultimately cost us points in games.

I don’t feel he’s confident in affecting games whilst they’re ongoing either.

From what I’ve seen of League One this season a balanced side, primarily your defence, and the ability to change games from the touchline means you can give yourself a huge fighting chance of beating at least 90% of the teams you’ll face. 

• Love 1

Who honestly expected better than 85 points and playoffs when we got relegated last year with a bunch of players that didnt care and a chairman making everything harder for the manager.

Darren Moore has far far exceeded my expectations and I hope we back him and keep building.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

This. But I have two big concerns:

1. He promised a younger squad, yet we ended up with the second oldest in the league. Yeah, pragmatism is absolutely required when stopping a rot that seems pretty set into this football club, but that doesn't track with the promise. 

2. How feeble we were over the two legs. I will be the first to say that we lost over the 180 minutes due to fine margins in key seconds of the two legs, and by-and-large we did match Sunderland over that time. But, Sunderland had what felt like the majority of 50/50 theirs... you don't do that by luck, you do it by making it yours. They showed a little more energy and a lot more desire. Which has been a problem a few times this season.

I like the patterns of play we produce under Moore. I like him as a bloke. I think the players enjoy playing for him. We've created a lot of chances this season. He's really helped to stabilise the ship and stop the f*cking rot we've had to endure for the last 4ish years. There's been a lot of positives under Moore - I've really, really wanted to like him and have back him... But the above two points are genuine worries. 

Exactly this.

19 minutes ago, sticklebricks said:

Who honestly expected better than 85 points and playoffs when we got relegated last year with a bunch of players that didnt care and a chairman making everything harder for the manager.

Darren Moore has far far exceeded my expectations and I hope we back him and keep building.

Yes I agree with this post till chansiri opened up his chequebook and we got players from higher divisions to play for us

And the your point goes down the pan like our season tonight 

Edited by MBMitchell

If you think Darren Moore should be our manager then you are utterly clueless... he has FAILED not just in the playoffs no all season he's failed. If you  accept this crap then your the problem. He isn't good enough wasn't good enough and will NEVER be good enough. Stop bring pathetic and realise with a decent manager we wouldn't have been in the playoffs we would have been promoted. His mistakes are ridiculous.  

This is our club please stop this tripe and don't condem us to a crap season next season under him. 

Get the message with out him we WOULD be in the championship next season. This awful poor league has been so shocking in standard and we have been beaten by a club who got in and experienced nob who knows how to win by being organised and fighting  to get it. We have NEVER sorted the defence out all season and how many yikes do the players look lost. Play offs we spent too much time sat back not going for it. Especially at the start of tonight's game. He isn't good enough. Have some pride in our club and stop accepting second best crap.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Tactically outclassed over the two legs. Correct.

But 85 points this season. Inherited an absolute shambles of a squad and club and has created a way of playing and made us competitive again, after a few years of pure dross in the Championship. 

I hope we have some money to spend so we can back him in the summer. I think he’s the man for the job. Tonight hurts, but Sunderland were the better side. It’s as simple as that. 

Pity the way of playing he's been creating all season wasn't used, and instead we went to playing without a midfield and trying to see if we could kick the ball so high it would come down with snow on.

We have the best squad in the league this season, on paper. So the playoffs were already a failure, but a chance to get out of jail.

Over the 2 legs, but particularly tonight, he just looked lost on the touchline. Couldn't calm the players down and get them playing, too slow to make changes. No idea what the half time team talk was but the way we played at the start of the 2nd half was atrocious.

That all said, there's no point sacking him unless there's someone better lined up. At this level, I'm not sure who we can get that is any better. So we're going to have to stick with him for the time being.

19 minutes ago, sticklebricks said:

The problem isn't building, though.

This squad was strong enough to get automatic promotion, let alone finish in the play-offs.

We need to get out of this mindset that this group of players is bobbar, because it isn't.

Chansiri is totally blameless this season, and has let Moore get on with things.

Nobody can say that Channers hasn't backed Moore.

In Bannan we have a player on £24 000 a week, for instance.

There are clubs in this league whose entire first teams are on that money.

We've missed out for three reasons.

(a) We struggle to defend set pieces

(b) We give away silly goals, often by not simply kicking it into Row Z

(c) We get tactically outwitted

All three factors are the fault of the manager.

And when a manager loses a play-off, it rarely bodes well for the following season.

On balance I’d probably stick with him but there’s a case for getting rid. Hate reading nonsense from extremists either way acting like they’ve got it all sorted out.

the big thing for me, if we do change, is to look for a manager in a similar style. The wild swing to ultra-negative in pulis was a complete disaster. Consistency is king in building a successful side