Back Darren Moore

1 minute ago, TheSlicer said:

Not once have I tried to defend his tactics. 

I’m just choosing to back a manager. And not calling for his head every time we lose. 

our fans want a change of manager every time we don’t win a game or get promoted. 

Choosing to back a manager who isn’t good enough?…..by saying you’ve never defended his tactics you’re basically agreeing that he’s not forward thinking enough……by all means back a manager but let it be one who can change things when they’re not going right….We’ve seen over the two legs that Alex Neil set his team out differently defensively to nullify us and it worked a treat and Darren Moore didn’t know how to respond 

I want us to stick with him. I like what he’s done and he can recruit well. 

But I was concerned that we have such squad depth but we’re unable to make the most of it to make effective subs and changes. Also when playing Derby last season we didn’t even need a goal at that point and we were wide open at the back, absolute carnage and they got a pen. No management of the game.

Tonight we did need a goal which is fair enough and some shocking play by two of the subs cost us, but the whole team shape melted again in a key ten mins. Like watching kids in the play ground. Moore needs to sort that if he’s ever getting us over the line in a do or die game 

• Thanks 1

I'll give DM another season, he's built a good squad and will need him to do the same again in the summer.

Though its promotion or gone next season.

Vultures will be circling though if were  not competing for automatic come December!

40 minutes ago, Luke said:

Don't think Moore can really say he wasn't backed this season tbf

Not many clubs In league 1 could afford bannan,mas,windass,paterson and Hutchinson 

Then add on gregory, bpf ,Dean and story

Acting like Moore was looking around frees from the conference 

He didn't buy any of those. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to pay those lot the amount they are on. with the exception of Bannan. The rest are always injured. The signings that he has made have generally done pretty well

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

It’s the most Wednesday thing ever that a manager finally stops the downward slide and starts to get us moving in the opposite direction and fans want him sacked.

100% this

18 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Tactically outclassed lol  - care to

elaborate? It’s obvious over both legs that Sunderland were more up it and were first to all the balls - jack all to do with tactics. 

Course it is. So lazy to say that they weren't up for it.

We struggled to get to grips with the game due to the opposition tactics

27 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

It's not about the players' hunger, it's about tactical nous.

It isn't a surprise that Neil shut us out; I couldn't see us keeping a clean sheet which meant our getting 3 goals to win tonight.

That was never going to happen.

Moore's basically been outthought.

We've never really got to grips with defending set pieces, and we've conceded silly goals all season.

Let's be honest, the sort of goals we've let in are not consistent with a team going for promotion.

Across the motorway, their promotion was built on solid defending.

That is probably the easiest aspect of management, and it's all the more surprising that we can't do it as Moore was himself a defender.

agree with the defending.. but at the start of the season up to the transfer window we struggled for players.. Iorfa being a big miss in the first part of the season..  we had 75% of a new team.

If we'd had storey and dean from beginning we would be up automatically.

Season Part 1 was a gelling time with an increadible amount of injuries

Part 2 we pushed on and went on a decent run and promotion form.

I’d get rid.

Over the season have we been

good enough?? No. What is the MAIN factor of this IMO, Moore and his negativity.  We have got a lot of points and he has done well off the pitch but he ultimately has underachieved on it and he doesn’t seem to learn.

Need a more positive manager 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Shezza said:

What worries me the most is whether we’ll be able to mount another challenge next season. The club is bleeding money. 

We will always have an advantage over 80% of teams in this league in the way Sunderland have. 

We have a big fanbase, more income and can generally attract the better players. 

13 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Seriously seriously, think about this.

Hes blown it in the playoffs, set us up with turgid football and all we wanted was to see this lot bust a gut and go at them like a train, and we punt the ball long for 70 f*cking minutes? 

F*ck Moore and get someone in who can get better out of this lot in the big games, because that is unforgivable tonight

Who then? And will Chansiri appoint them? 

6 minutes ago, cain said:

Choosing to back a manager who isn’t good enough?…..by saying you’ve never defended his tactics you’re basically agreeing that he’s not forward thinking enough……by all means back a manager but let it be one who can change things when they’re not going right….We’ve seen over the two legs that Alex Neil set his team out differently defensively to nullify us and it worked a treat and Darren Moore didn’t know how to respond 

85 points is still pretty impressive considering where we were before we made a signing last summer.

All id ask anyone who wants DM gone is, who do you replace him with, I'm not sure there is an obvious candidate.

Has the season been a sucess, no but lots of progress has been made.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Tactically outclassed over the two legs. Correct.

But 85 points this season. Inherited an absolute shambles of a squad and club and has created a way of playing and made us competitive again, after a few years of pure dross in the Championship. 

I hope we have some money to spend so we can back him in the summer. I think he’s the man for the job. Tonight hurts, but Sunderland were the better side. It’s as simple as that. 

He's already been backed. 

Our opponents hired a manager with a Premier League promotion on his CV and tonight we saw the result. 

He's improved us in the second half of the season but if it came down to a crunch game again I'd have no faith.

Now I've said that Wycombe will win 5-0 lol

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

agree with the defending.. but at the start of the season up to the transfer window we struggled for players.. Iorfa being a big miss in the first part of the season..  we had 75% of a new team.

If we'd had storey and dean from beginning we would be up automatically.

Season Part 1 was a gelling time with an increadible amount of injuries

Part 2 we pushed on and went on a decent run and promotion form.

That's a fair assessment of the season.

The problem for me though is what happens when Moore runs into an Ainsworth, a Neil, etc.

He can't find a way through their tactics.

We've seen over these two semis the benefit of having a proper, seasoned manager who drops down to play at this level.

We had the same with Dave Jones.

I can’t believe that anybody watched those two matches and couldn’t see that Sunderland clearly had a better manager than us.

When that happens, I’m afraid you’re just putting off the inevitable by sticking with him.

Rightly or wrongly, he’ll never get back a sizeable proportion of the fan base after that. And very very few managers come through a large chunk of the fans being against him. With every defeat the numbers will just grow now.

Time to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry can’t agree with the OP

Too many flaws for me

The last two games summed up our season, impotent and outthought away from home, and tonight at home we once again failed to overcome and find a way past a dogged and determined  opposing side

This season stinks of a side that has achieved what it had despite the manager not because of him. A midfield containing the options of Bannan, Loungo, Byers, NML and Johnson should not be losing the midfield battle like they have during these playoffs

Ww shouldn’t be persisting with playing the ball dangerously around our back 4 and goalkeeper with players who aren’t comfortable in doing do, then after getting in a tangle proceeding to launch it up field anyway

He’s still not decided on his preferred back 3 or indeed which side to play them at, Hutch left or right? Palmer left or right? Storey left or right? Who f****** knows?

His substitutes are abysmal, example, 2 of our centre mids (Bannan, Byers) were on yellow cards tonight and spent the last hour of the game unable to put a challenge in for fear of a red, Dele Bashiru should have been brought on for Byers after we scored, but no it only happened when we conceded, Wtf? Why? 

For comparison Neil joined Sunderland, shored their shakey defence, and has proceeded to do jobs on teams tactically for the last dozen or so games. We might have blown some trans away with our quality at times, but tell me one time this season when Darren Moore has done a job on someone tactically? I don’t think he has

I could go on but I’ve gone on enough 

I don’t rate him, sorry if that goes against the grain with many but it’s just how o see it 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Django said:

Sorry can’t agree with the OP

Too many flaws for me

The last two games summed up our season, impotent and outthought away from home, and tonight at home we once again failed to overcome and find a way past a dogged and determined  opposing side

This season stinks of a side that has achieved what it had despite the manager not because of him. A midfield containing the options of Bannan, Loungo, Byers, NML and Johnson should not be losing the midfield battle like they have during these playoffs

Ww shouldn’t be persisting with playing the ball dangerously around our back 4 and goalkeeper with players who aren’t comfortable in doing do, then after getting in a tangle proceeding to launch it up field anyway

He’s still not decided on his preferred back 3 or indeed which side to play them at, Hutch left or right? Palmer left or right? Storey left or right? Who f****** knows?

His substitutes are abysmal, example, 2 of our centre mids (Bannan, Byers) were on yellow cards tonight and spent the last hour of the game unable to put a challenge in for fear of a red, Dele Bashiru should have been brought on for Byers after we scored, but no it only happened when we conceded, Wtf? Why? 

For comparison Neil joined Sunderland, shored their shakey defence, and has proceeded to do jobs on teams tactically for the last dozen or so games. We might have blown some trans away with our quality at times, but tell me one time this season when Darren Moore has done a job on someone tactically? I don’t think he has

I could go on but I’ve gone on enough 

I don’t rate him, sorry if that goes against the grain with many but it’s just how o see it 

I think you’ve hit the nail square on the head there to be fair pal.

• Thanks 2