Perspective

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Paterson and Luongo will go I think. Windass injuries might mean we keep hold of him. Bannan should go but the bloke is mad and will probably still be here.

Dont think anyone will want Bannan’s contract so I assume he stays 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

What makes it harder to take, is the fact we didn't lose to a better side. We lost to a side who spent most of their time diicking about wasting time. If we had lost to a genuinely decent side that outplayed us, id be less gutted. Its just painful to see them get to the final playing like that. 

I don’t think they shithoused that bad tbh. I’ve seen far worse.

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I think there’s one whopper between you and me, and it isn’t me.

Nice to see you back online in the last couple of weeks though. 

Sadly I won’t see your reply to this. Prefer to discuss with SWFC fans vs closet Blades who revel in a play off defeat of ours. 

You’ve got absolutely nothing to back up have you about the manager? So you refer to me as a closet blade hahaha.

Been giving it the big one all year about him and he’s completely shafted us once again - absolute dog dirt and you’re burying your head in the sand. 

Id keep quiet in future if you can’t back it up

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Paterson will surely go

Hunt and Gregory only have another year if we went up - can we afford to renew? At least we can renegotiate

I think Luongo will go

The loanees will return and I think we’ll start the season with Dawson as #1 

We’re going to need to sign a left back at some point

Yeah, I'm sure Paterson will go, too. I was disappointed that he didn't have a better season. His 'housery seemed like just what was needed in League 1. He covered a lot of positions and worked hard, to be fair. 

I think we can hold on to Gregory and Hunt if that's the plan. They won't get much better offers at their respective ages.

Luongo will surely go. He's a fantastic player, but he could easily miss another  half a season going by his track record with us. Sick to death of losing key players to injury. 

Not expecting any of the loanees back.

Still don't fancy Dawson, although he may surprise me after his success at Exeter.

Surely we will indeed sign a left-back! It would be great to sign a few prospects on permanent deals. Not sure if we have any youth players who can step up next season. Hopefully Fizz will progress. He does brilliantly driving forward and holding on to the ball, yet he rarely seems to know what to do with it in the end. 

It'll be interesting to see if Moore will go back to 4-2-3-1 next season or stick with 3-5-2.

2 hours ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

What makes it harder to take, is the fact we didn't lose to a better side. We lost to a side who spent most of their time diicking about wasting time. If we had lost to a genuinely decent side that outplayed us, id be less gutted. Its just painful to see them get to the final playing like that. 

I agree mate,I hope Wycombe stuff em

It seems everyone who has the mentality that Darren Moore deserves another crack and that we'll just end up finishing top 2 based on how we did at the back end of this season is making a huge assumption that this squad will;

1. Stay together

2. Be no worse than this season (despite everyone being older)

3. Have zero injuries

Its just not going to happen.  And looking at the other clubs - we've got Derby, Peterborough & Barnsley, MK Dons and one of either Sunderland or Wycombe already before we think about others.

Regards to the players, it feels like Bannan is here to get us promoted before he leaves - it's inconceivable he won't have a barrage of offers to play in the Championship for good footballing teams, paying him better wages and giving us offers frankly we can't turn down given his age and our financial mess.  When he's good, which he usually is, he's superb - and the way we play is SO reliant on him having a great day. Our whole system collapses without him.  Albeit - he bloody loves it here it seems, so who knows he might just stay 1 more year... but again be entirely reliant on him creating everything.

And how about Gregory, Windass, Luongo, Byers, Johnson... with their wages and (for some) their transfer value to the club are we really expecting them all to stay around on the off-chance we'll storm the division this time and definitely get promotion?

Then there's Storey and Peacock-Farrell - both won't be here next season, no chance.  Maybe we'll be able to get equivalent players in? Perhaps Dawson is suddenly ready for a League 1 promotion season... is he though?

We'll be pretty competitive in the market I'd assume - we're capable of punching above our weight with taking punts again on Premier League youngsters but we'll be losing out to the likes of Wigan, Rotherham and other Champ clubs when we try and buy proven League 1 quality that we need -- playing a curious brand of football that is nothing close to "Darren's Moore's style".

Watching Wednesday is STILL somehow like Groundhog Day - we play almost exactly the same every single game.  We have a nasty habit of replying on a couple of players - Bannan and a No.9 (For Gregory read Fletcher)

Sometimes they're really on song, we get breaks and score a few, sometimes Bannan will make a difference and run the show when teams let him, but we're consistently so sloppy, slow and hoofball-heavy, struggling to break anyone down when they mark Bannan out of the game - that it ends up being such a slog - as we don't really have any gusto elsewhere to make a difference the way we play.

DM did a really good job getting us actually into the playoffs from where we were in January, but how we struggled for the first half of the season with this squad is just crazy.  It just feels all about the players, not the manager and I don't think it can be good enough that way.

I just fear that unless we switch managers to one who will get us playing really intense high pressure football that simply barges our way to wins, we're just going to see next season pan out in a similar way to this one... a slow start as the team gets used to each other, then hitting long hopeful balls up to hope for a break in the dying minutes, again.

• Thanks 1

Plus - we've already found out that the squad players such as Dunkley, Iorfa and Paterson are just not quite the level we'd need them to be - and we have no youngsters (potentially bar Cadamarteri as a long shot) who could make a real impact next season... we haven't really blooded any who will learn and be better next time - if anything it's only Dawson who will have developed from this season.