So..what do we need for next season

Depends how much Chansiri is willing to invest again and whether he keeps the nucleus of this team together. 

But if Luongo and Windass stays then we need a keeper a fee centre halves, a strong and mobile target man type striker  and some wingers so we can mix our system up a bit when needed like tonight 

Well one things for sure, we absolutely MUST stop conceding late goals. The stats prove we were BY FAR the worst of the top teams at it, and that the points we threw away in the last 10 mins of games cost us automatic promotion. 

No surprise it happened again tonight and cost us in the playoffs too.

Edited by paulrs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, George said:

Few tweaks here and there and hit the ground running. We have come a long way but the trajectory is bang on.

if only we could keep Luongo, Iorfa, Gregory and Windass fit me t would be a start 

It wouldn’t surprise me if none of those players are here next season - which (with the exception of Gregory) might be no bad thing.  Dread to think what those 4 are earning, can’t continue to spend like that in League One.

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
1 hour ago, keefdave said:

The midfield needs a complete overhaul

Its only a month ago when folk nearly all agreed we had the best midfiled in this league. I dont really think folk know what they want. The problem is when Storey and Dean dont come back. Hutch as had his day, been a good servant but as shown on more than one occasion he can be a liability. 

Don’t think too much will change in midfield and attack but Expecting big changes at the back

- Can’t see BPF returning and Wildsmith will be off. Not convinced Dawson is good enough at this level. 
- Not sure we’ll pay a fee for Storey or be able to afford Dean’s wages. Hutch may be getting past it and Iorfa doesn’t look comfortable in a back three and Gibson is awfully injury prone. 
- Hunt and Johnson have done well but both are 30+ and we have no proper backup 

• Like 1

No surprise we conceded. We had to commit to attack by making subs. We were going out anyway. The problems start then when the game settles down again and you have an unbalanced team out on the pitch. 

• Like 1

BPF again if available. Failing that, Bazunu on loan from City who’s been at Pompey. 

A left footed centre back who isn’t made out of digestive biscuits, we need that balance as Hutch/Storey/Palmer on the left is makeshift. So a fit, strong centre back who can play on the left side. 

A centre forward to partner Gregory. The fact that the second striking option every game has been a complete lottery shows we don’t have a good second striker. Berahino, pato and NML have been in and out and no one has held it down at all, showing we need a striker who nails down that second striking position. Alfie May maybe, or Stockton might be worth punting out. 

We’ve got enough in midfield with the 3 tonight plus FDB and Denis. Wing back we seem alright too. So maybe 4 players 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if none of those players are here next season - which (with the exception of Gregory) might be no bad thing.  Dread to think what those 4 are earning, can’t continue to spend like that in League One.

I’d keep Gregory. 

The others can go for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

He’s getting on now, Leicester are going nowhere exciting, he’s retired from international football.  Time to come home to the owls as a player coach Jamie!

He wants to play for Wednesday before his career ends, but says its up to the club to want him and make it happen 

• Like 2

On 09/05/2022 at 21:53, MSN SYSOP said:

Keeper..bpf back to Leeds

New class striker 

Class midfielder to go with bazza

Need a keeper who can command his area (big reason for the number of set peice goals this year for me was BPF)

Need a target man as back up to Gregory and some pace up top.

Need more players <24 that can be developed to have a good resale value in next few years.

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Need a keeper who can command his area (big reason for the number of set peice goals this year for me was BPF)

Need a target man as back up to Gregory and some pace up top.

Need more players <24 that can be developed to have a good resale value in next few years.

Oh and an effective "plan B" wouldn't go amiss. 🤞

16 hours ago, another1bitesthedust said:

One thing we have lacked for a couple of years is a proper left back. Sign one and we can have this plan b people talk about by going from a back 5 to a back 4. A target man too, how about Michael Smith, out of contract at Rotherham, I'm sure we could pay him more than them to turn his head

How's about bringing Warney with him?

lol