WEDNESDAY - V - SUNDERLAND - (Play-off 2nd Leg) - OMDT

7 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

We bottled it. Nobody turned up in either leg. Don’t sit there saying we tried hard etc, it’s not the girl guides.

In the biggest two games of the season we were second best in every department. Out fought and out thought.

The biggest lesson we can learn is employ a manager who knows how to win. Not a manager who loses admirably. 

I’d sooner be hated winner than plucky loser.

correct on every point you make.

2 minutes ago, graz gp said:

FDB not in the squad.

Doesn't make the point any less relevant, what we needed in these two games was his qualaties in the middle to carry the ball out with his strength. 

3 minutes ago, malcolm said:

Worse than expected?,remind me how many points were needed to get in play offs?

Ok, let me rephrase that to avoid any misunderstanding - much worse than I expected.  I think it’s a shocking league but unfortunately we are not good enough to warrant promotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We go again.

Felt just like the last match at Derby last season - slow motion to fail.

We really need a top 20+ goal scorer - Toughest problem to solve with us. 
And one that doesn’t get injured after 5 mins 

Edited by OwlerIT2
  • Like 1

Let’s address the elephant in the room, Sam Hutchinson 

He made a mistake at a crucial time in the game and we couldn’t recover. 

What happens if we fit a 0-0 at theirs? They’d have never won here. 

we couldn’t recover from it. 

We've got to find a way of being able to impose ourselves irrespective of how the opposition lineup.

Unfortunately, we have been a bit too easy to figure out all season. Low blocks, time wasting etc., and we lose our composure.

Promotions teams know how to win ugly. Wednesday panic when things aren't going their way.

• Like 4

Just now, sherlyegg said:

Wow...Wycombe got 83

The league is shyte mate..only 8 teams in it.

Blunket's dog would have got 82

Nonsense.

Wycombe are in the final.

It's League One and we have a League One team, end of story.

1 minute ago, OwlerIT2 said:

A lazy soundbite and an over-rated commodity. Obviously it helps, but it simply is NOT a prerequisite.

Last time we had someone score 20 in a season we finished in the bottom half of League One. Each of our last two play off visits saw the top scorer on a dozen or so. Three of the top four in the Premier League don't have anyone on more than 12 league goals between them and that includes Man City who score whenever they feel like it.

Over and over again teams are unsuccessful when they have one, and achieve big things when they don't. 

8 minutes ago, bassbins said:

I dont think any player performed badly tonight. I think out fought. An unchanged sunderland team with a game plan. Most teams at top dont change team weekly for fitness issues.

I think Sunderland were the best team in this division and would have been Champions if they hadnt had Johnson as manager at the start. 

As for us we need to beat this constant sea of injuries we seem to have year after year. 

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

A lazy soundbite and an over-rated commodity. Obviously it helps, but it simply is NOT a prerequisite.

Last time we had someone score 20 in a season we finished in the bottom half of League One. Each of our last two play off visits saw the top scorer on a dozen or so. Three of the top four in the Premier League don't have anyone on more than 12 league goals between them and that includes Man City who score whenever they feel like it.

Over and over again teams are unsuccessful when they have one, and achieve big things when they don't. 

I hope you say one owl, get out of here, two owls, now you're talking. 

1 hour ago, WatfordOwl said:

Well played Sunderland, hopefully they go up and it's one less in the way next season.

Actually no complaints, just the better team over the 2 legs won. We'd have been gutted to be in Sunderland's position and not go through, they've got some threat going forwards, Clarke is an exceptional talent at this level.

I thought this season with all the upheaval would be too much in one go, close - hopefully it's our foundation with the crop of players we have. 

We need to stick with the lads. 

Unlucky, but a tough ask after the 1st leg.

Unfortunately we have quite a few loan players who might not stay to give that foundation

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, OwlerIT2 said:

We go again.

Felt just like the last match at Derby last season - slow motion to fail.

And one that doesn’t get injured after 5 mins 

Wing backs have to be old fashioned defensive full backs at times. 

53 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Have to agree to differ. Palmer in my opinion gets flak for things that others are routinely  absolved for. Just my opinion.

Im a fan of Palmer and his commitment to the club but whether it was him or anyone else you’ve got to at least look for an attacker and who you need to mark. Same happened with George Hirst he’s not a natural centre back.