WEDNESDAY - V - SUNDERLAND - (Play-off 2nd Leg) - OMDT

Just now, sexpistol said:

Knee jerk post. We didn’t play badly tonight. 

I don't agree at all. There's no denying that we battled hard and the effort can't be faulted. But given the abilities we have and how we got here, the way we played has been an exercise in handing them the initiative. Far too often we've launched the ball downfield to isolated forwards, wasted possession and nullified our threat. Had we shown more composure, slowed things down a little and moved the ball around, there's no guarantee we would have won but I can't help feeling we'd have maximised our chances.

The final could turn out to be rotten. Two teams just slogging it out in an attritional battle. But to be fair, Sunderland do have a couple of players capable of getting the ball down and making things happen as they showed at the end.

• Like 5

Let's face it, they had better individuals than us. 

Clarke tore us a new one and Batth and Wright for the most part were solid. 

BUT, we've built a good foundation and I'd expect us to be up there challenging next season. Get some decent recruiting done in the summer and we'll see what happens.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Bradway Owl said:

Darren Moore must be sacked today

No we shouldn’t. I’m still not convinced with Moore, but since Feb we  have been one of the best teams in the league, the same as Sunderland under Neil. 

We should give him some money for the summer, let him work his magic on the recruitment and if his tactics let us down in the first few months bring in someone else, but we should give him a chance.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It was an interesting season, we started with pretty much nothing, we were plagued by injuries but we almost made it.

Bannan's pass to Johnson was possibly the highlight of my season, after his goal of the season obviously.

Well done lads, and well done DM, we nearly made it, and on another day, who knows, but it's a hats off from me.

LOVE YOU WEDNESDAY

WAWAW

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

What. For getting us into the play-offs and losing by a single goal over two legs?

Are MK Dons sacking their manager?

FFS............

What MK Dons do with their manager is totally irrelevant.  I so wanted it to be different, but since Moore arrived I’ve seen absolutely nothing to suggest he’s the right man to take Wednesday forward.  Most performances this season have been relatively ordinary in a very poor league and don’t deserve promotion.  Thinking about last season,  I reckon a better manager would have given us a fighting chance of staying up in the first place.  

• Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Gave our all and came up short against a decent team. 

Not going to criticise, players left everything on the pitch. That's football. 

Agreed, I’ve seen the word coward on here. Absolutely scandalous. The effort and commitment was there.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

They can’t. He isn’t.

He's got us to 4th in a difficult league, remember last year our fans saying we would drop straight through the league. Yes it's disappointing to lose,but get a grip.WAWAW

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Well played Sunderland, hopefully they go up and it's one less in the way next season.

Actually no complaints, just the better team over the 2 legs won. We'd have been gutted to be in Sunderland's position and not go through, they've got some threat going forwards, Clarke is an exceptional talent at this level.

I thought this season with all the upheaval would be too much in one go, close - hopefully it's our foundation with the crop of players we have. 

We need to stick with the lads. 

Unlucky, but a tough ask after the 1st leg.

Problem is, we’ll lose the better players.

Why will they want another season in the 3rd tier?

We’ll end up like Portsmouth - mid table 

• Like 2

Football supporters basically have tantrums when things don't go their way, and we'll see plenty of that in the next few days. I'm too measured and experienced for that kind of petulance. Yes, we got a lot wrong in these two games, but no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water. Suck it up and get on with it next season.

Look on the bright side. I still haven't seen us win a league title in over four decades suffering with this team. Next season... finally ! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I don't agree at all. There's no denying that we battled hard and the effort can't be faulted. But given the abilities we have and how we got here, the way we played has been an exercise in handing them the initiative. Far too often we've launched the ball downfield to isolated forwards, wasted possession and nullified our threat. Had we shown more composure, slowed things down a little and moved the ball around, there's no guarantee we would have won but I can't help feeling we'd have maximised our chances.

The final could turn out to be rotten. Two teams just slogging it out in an attritional battle. But to be fair, Sunderland do have a couple of players capable of getting the ball down and making things happen as they showed at the end.

I think we paid too much respect to Sunderland's players in the middle of the park, you're right, we hit the long ball far too often tonight and the kicker was the one we time we got it down and played, we scored. 

No doubt Sunderland are a good side, I think we started slow again, let them pressure us, and we only showed the intensity we should have done from the off after we scored. Our goal wasn't coming, but we didn't really push on after grabbing it. 

It's really hard to judge tbh, occasion, opposition, setup - all contributing factors,  for me I just think they were the better side with more belief about their style of play over the 2 legs. 

We'll be better for this season, remember this is Sunderland's 4th crack at getting out of it, still not got the job done yet. 

• Like 2

Tough to take but wasn’t our day. Second half of season & home form overall are the big pluses to hold on to. Need to stop our habit of gifting goals. Need to reduce age of squad considerably now & use this season’s outcome to go all out for autos next time out. Lots of positives over the season &  many lessons too. Before Christmas we were never contenders…..we’ve proved we can be…..now we need to be winners from the off. Well done Sunderland, hope you beat Wycombe 1-0 in the 96th minute. Hard luck Wednesday.

• Like 3