James Tavernier - Glasgow Rangers

We had him on loan years ago (Megson era). 

He played just 6 games for us apparently (I thought it was more than that) and I thought he was decent at the time. 

Now he’s a hero at Rangers, their captain and a goal scoring fullback. 

Looked a decent prospect to me when we had him. 

IIRC he was on loan from Newcastle?  I think they were insistent we play him as a full back but it was evident he couldn’t defend so we kept playing him right midfield.  They recalled him/wouldn’t extend the loan.

• Like 2

Rangers have some very good players but Tavernier is still not great defensively and his goal stats are massively inflated by the inordinate amount of penalties they’re awarded by Scottish officials. I cannot wait for VAR to be introduced next season

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Rangers have some very good players but Tavernier is still not great defensively and his goal stats are massively inflated by the inordinate amount of penalties they’re awarded by Scottish officials. I cannot wait for VAR to be introduced next season

To be fair he does get into good goalscoring positions for a full back and has scored some decent free kicks too. I didn't expect he would go on to captain a big club like Rangers all them years back when he was on loan to us us and Rotherham. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/05/2022 at 10:51, Beighton Owl 87 said:

To be fair he does get into good goalscoring positions for a full back and has scored some decent free kicks too. I didn't expect he would go on to captain a big club like Rangers all them years back when he was on loan to us us and Rotherham. 

He has improved a huge amount I agree. Hits a cracking free kick like you say too. I guess he’s just a modern day full back and that he’s much better going forward than defensively. He has been a very good player for Rangers to be fair 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 08:08, edinburghowl said:

He’s also the top scorer in this seasons Europa League, a competition that uses VAR and presumably isn’t under the “influence” of Scottish officials. 

• Like 1