Remembering the Wednesday #Legend Big Jack

Jack Charlton is rightfully remembered as a Wednesday legend. If he was around today though many in our fanbase would have been calling for him to be sacked during the 78/79 season and at the start of 79/80 then for missing out in 81/82 and the same for 82/83

All things considered Wednesdays greatest manager of my lifetime 

Wrote to him as a 15 year old offering some suggestions on who he should pick and how he should set up ( like yer do at 15🙄🤦‍♂️😁)

He replied thanking me for my letter and said he would consider it. Then told me to “ keep backing the lads “

I put the letter in my Wednesday scrap book . Sadly over the years the cheap adhesive I used has made it unreadable 😡

Big Jack

Great manager

Top man

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Jack Charlton is rightfully remembered as a Wednesday legend. If he was around today though many in our fanbase would have been calling for him to be sacked during the 78/79 season and at the start of 79/80 then for missing out in 81/82 and the same for 82/83

Sadly,  mate , that’s very true.

More a reflection of how the games changed along with society in general

No patience , no tolerance , no knee jerk response. No constantly looking for someone to blame when things don’t go right.

Jack was a great man and a great manager at a time when the game was full of characters.

The game just isn’t the same.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

His first full season was disappointing , but he bought himself time , and grace , with the Arsenal cup marathon , I remember seeing him at one of the old "an evening with" nights and he said towards the end of that season he gave the board an ultimatum , loosen the purse strings or he would walk.

The result was the signings of Curran, McCulloch , Mellor and King.

Managers weren`t hired and fired with such regularity in those days , but it would have been funny to see the hysterical SJW,s reaction these days to somebody like Big Jack................................he was a straight talking , no BS , say it like it is guy who did a fantastic job for us.

The recent documentary , whilst brilliant , was a difficult watch and unashamedly reduced me to tears , and I know it`s easy to get nostalgic about a time when you were young, free and single and in your prime , but he was a giant of a character and this club will forever owe him a huge debt .

He was also man enough to walk away when it was clear his race had been run , and one of the reasons that Wilko hit the ground running was the fact that all the foundations had been laid , he was the catalyst for the glorious period that followed , and i agree , he should have some permanent recognition somewhere in our stadium

• Like 3
  • Love 3