606 Wednesday Fan

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

News to me lived most of life in Rotherham.  I thought it was because a company whose land the ground stands on supplied New York with water hydrants.   

Same here, loads of family who have lived in Rotherham for years and years and never heard of the area being called New York....most of them seemed to refer to the company based gheir Guest and chrimes (think it was) or Sheffield Rd. I stand to be corrected by AL but is their a map showing area called New York in Rotherham.

Personally quite like the way their ground looks big on the outside then once inside it becomes smaller....

• Love 1

I heard it live and whilst perhaps not the best way to win friends - at least he tries to give us some coverage and remind younger listeners that we are still alive - Chris Sutton was a bit of an obtuse tw@t and refused to get his point that whilst we and Sunderland are currently are where we are because of form on the pitch, we both are by most measures big traditional clubs. I’m sure Sutton would get the point if Arsenal, Villa or Chelsea were in the 3rd tier…..Bad news is we are leaving it sooo long to get back up people forget about us…so the fact he raises us on a national show trying to blow our trumpet is no bad thing.

Not every region has a decent footy phone in prog which is why 5 live is usually devoid of any SWFC fans.

• Like 1

I'd say that rather than being universally disliked, were seen by the vast majority of the footballing community in this country as universally irrelevant but a bit recognisable cos of that funny name. 

No-one outside South Yorkshire gives a poo about us unless we're playing them that week.

That's the reality (imho obviously,)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I thought he might be a Blunt on the wind up, 40,000 on Monday, BDM 50,000, sounds like a crank to me. We are not arrogant, we haven't averaged 30000 since the 1966 Cup Final seasons, we average 11,000 less Sunderland, who are massive in crowd numbers, in EFL 1 and only a couple hundred more than mid table Ipswich. When we do something to be arrogant I will be the first to get on the arrogant bandwagon. It will be worth it. Too many have been brainwashed as to our status. We are a big club in a big city, but not massive.

It's simple the fans are projecting what our potential could be.  Have a ten year spell in the Premier even qualify for Europe and the claims of massive could be realised if football stays as popular.   

53 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It's simple the fans are projecting what our potential could be.  Have a ten year spell in the Premier even qualify for Europe and the claims of massive could be realised if football stays as popular.   

Heard this so many times, especially from Big Ron when we got promoted. Maybe we are similar to Leicester, Palace, Brighton in terms of potential, but not the big clubs. We can always get the occasional full house but like the next 3 home games after the BDM  which were 13K,11K and 12K. It's best not to worry about the future whatever happens will happen, I'm just happy to go to Hillsborough and watch my team whatever the crowd is.

• Like 1

Just now, Buckwheat said:

Heard this so many times, especially from Big Ron when we got promoted. Maybe we are similar to Leicester, Palace, Brighton in terms of potential, but not the big clubs. We can always get the occasional full house but like the next 3 home games after the BDM  which were 13K,11K and 12K. It's best not to worry about the future whatever happens will happen, I'm just happy to go to Hillsborough and watch my team whatever the crowd is.

So you deliberately ignore the point of my post and head to an era when football was in the doldrums regarding attendances.     

16 hours ago, AlanLee said:

I've often heard Wednesday fans ask why they are universally disliked (at least locally). I've tried to give my reasons on this forum over the years, although it's the Rotherham Owls that I struggle with rather than Wednesday fans in general. 

Anyway, this attendance idiot on 606 tonight is a pretty good example of why many Wednesday fans are seen as arrogant. 

Forward to 8 mins 50 secs. 

Be interested in how many of you actually agree with his view of Wednesday and smaller teams like Rotherham. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017546

Or is it just an example of rival fans cherry picking one fan's opinion to just their own thoughts on us a fan base?

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So you deliberately ignore the point of my post and head to an era when football was in the doldrums regarding attendances.     

See what you mean, just heard so many similar things before.

18 hours ago, AlanLee said:

I've often heard Wednesday fans ask why they are universally disliked (at least locally). I've tried to give my reasons on this forum over the years, although it's the Rotherham Owls that I struggle with rather than Wednesday fans in general. 

Anyway, this attendance idiot on 606 tonight is a pretty good example of why many Wednesday fans are seen as arrogant. 

Forward to 8 mins 50 secs. 

Be interested in how many of you actually agree with his view of Wednesday and smaller teams like Rotherham. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017546

I honestly Dunno ONE f.ookin' Wednesday fan ask 

"Why are we universally disliked"

Cos thats an inch off of f.ookin' stupid... cos that phrase would actually INCLUDE Wednesday fans wouldn't It?

Unless your straw man version of a load of total bllx , is actually 

"A load of f.ookin' bllx"

Yiou have taken ONE fan in isolation, moulded the bloody thing to fit yer argument

and in my opinion, simply come across as a whining f.ookwit

Just sayin'

"Is that Robbie Savage on 606?"

Yes..waddya want to say?

"I was at the Rotherham V Fleetwood Town game today"

"Was it a good game"

"Well thats not what I wanted to talk about actually"

"Oh Right what do you want to say then"

"Well Robbie ,,There was a chant from the Fleetwood end 

"We are by far the finest team , the world has ever seen..and it annoyed the hell out of me"

"Why"

"Well its patently obvious Robbie, ...they aren't?""

"I think..I know that, Fleetwood Town fans know that...and I suspect you have an inkling yerself"

"Yea but its just reallly annoying Robbie"

"Thanks for your comments ...Now we have a caller from Brazil wanting to chat...Lee Gregory...............