606 Wednesday Fan

Just now, Womble Owl said:

Just listened to it, the guy was obviously on the wind up, it was funny actually.

Shouldn't be surprised it flew over the head of someone who has only ever watched Chucklevision.

1 hour ago, Django said:

I think many local fans don’t understand that most of our perceived “arrogance” is mostly in humour and they don’t get it 

We know what we are a well supported club who have been sheite for over 2 decades

Now p*ss off 

This is bang on. Calling ourselves massive, given our decline over the last twenty odd years, is black humour at its best. I love it that the tools don’t get it, or never will.

• Like 1

To be fair, he's only saying what countless people in the public eye have said for a lot of years. 

I remember an interview for either sky sports or MotD with Noel Gallagher, who was chuffed that Leeds got promoted, purely because of the name of the club, the fan base of the club, and the atmosphere created by the larger attendances. 

Chris Sutton tripped him up a few times and made him look a bit silly, but his point wasn't that Wednesday should be promoted because of the size of the club, but that Chris Sutton missed Wednesday off a list of big clubs purely because they're not in the prem, when the attendances show that the club is still a big club. 

Funny how Savage had a couple of digs at Sutton after the call though, getting sacked n that. 

I hated Savage as a player, but since he's gone into punditry and presenting I think he's ok. Sutton I dislike in both forms as an arrogant prìck. Just my opinion like. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Wtf , we’re disliked !? 
no, we’re not!

Only by wank3rz like the BladesMen and their best friends, the bucket carrying save our club Rovrum ( was going to put their nickname but honestly can’t remember what it is, (“tinpot pretend bladesmen”? )) ( the fookwits) (the, this is Sheffield but we’ll pretend it’s not, clowns United) ( the, we’ll be back in our rightful place as mid table league 2 side before we know it n0bsacks)

What’s their nickname though.

the Newyork stadium as far away as from New York as you could possible imagine with no association to New York, laughing stock, clueless,  tin pot, joker bladesmen wanna be, cheap housing, scrubbersville, thick people United? 

is that it ? 

Relax fella, you'll do yourself a mischief. 

FYI, New York Stadium is in an area called 'New York'. This area's been called New York for as long as New York, USA.

No different to Hillsborough Stadium named so as it's in Hillsborough. 

1 hour ago, Mister Soul said:

I’m not entirely certain of the direction of the above statement.. however just for clarity… Rotherham’s New York Stadium  is called that because it was built in an are of Rotherham called New York

News to me lived most of life in Rotherham.  I thought it was because a company whose land the ground stands on supplied New York with water hydrants.   

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think fans like Alan Lee take the time to keep visiting Owlstalk because we are the only club who’ve ever done anything in this area.

Granted it’s some time ago since we were in the Premier League but the era that saw us play in Europe, finishing at the top end of the Premier League playing in multiple cup finals and a team sprinkled with England internationals has built up a level of anger and resentment that fans like Alan I suspect have struggled with all these decades later.

I think that's spot on!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kelfin Platz said:

Just a thought, have they realised most Wednesdayites aren't bothered about them? I think that might be the bit that annoys them, could be wrong though.

Judging by some of the comments on this thread by you and one or two others, I'd say you are a little bit bothered by us. 

Like I say, I've no issue with most real Wednesday fans (from Sheffield). But this guy on 606 was a complete b*llend. To the point where I thought he might be a blade pretending to be an Owl!  

My own perception of us being a big club or "massive" and why local clubs don't like us is that we are still the only South Yorkshire club that theoretically could get into that top 6. There were times in the 80s and early 90s when we had the top crowd of the day and obviously we had a period where we were finishing high up, got to Europe and Cup Finals. United did well under Wilder recently getting into the top half of the Prem for a season but they were perceived as a smaller club gatecrashing the Prem party. The fact that it's 22 years since we were in the Prem and rival fans know that it's still possible that Wednesday are the only team that could still make a dent is what makes us the biggest club in the area. Days like Wycombe, Hartlepool, Hull keep that hope alive but realistically with every year that passes it will get harder and there is a chance that the hope will go almost completely if we don't return at some point soon. Sadly - and this is a factor for all fans of all clubs - money has taken over and the balance is gradually shifting. Compare us to Chelsea & Newcastle, up to around 1998 I'd say we were similar size clubs, we had a similar standing in the game, Wednesday often had bigger crowds, we had a similar recent history. If the same thing happens to Brentford, Newcastle, etc then there will be more "super-rich" clubs in the Prem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

Relax fella, you'll do yourself a mischief. 

FYI, New York Stadium is in an area called 'New York'. This area's been called New York for as long as New York, USA.

No different to Hillsborough Stadium named so as it's in Hillsborough. 

Come on everybody..

'YOU'RE NOT FROM NEW YORK YOU'RE FROM ....

ROVRUM'

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NorthAmericanOwl said:

Must be annoying that most people around the country know rovrum for grooming gangs and not the team,fu ck off pr!ck

I hate to break it to you but exactly the same thing has/is going off in Sheffield. Wherever there are large populations of Pakistani men, CSE is rife.

Rotherham made the news because a full investigation was carried with the Jay Report which implicated the Police and Council failings in refusing to deal with it simply because of race issues.

But if you think children aren't been groomed and raped in virtually every town and city in England then you are deluded. 

• Like 1