Next Day Reaction

There are at least 7 or 8 clubs in L1 who could claim they’re too “big” to be there but are there for a reason. Just being “Big” doesn’t guarantee anything as two “Small” clubs proved by winning automatic promotion. Whoever you are, you have to find a way to win like Big Sam did for us against the top boys. We couldn’t afford the mega players to play worldie football like the Arsenals and Manures could so Sam found his own way to win. I see Wycombe like that as the dark arts and spoiling tactics against MK showed. Appleton sets his side out to win and whilst the free flowing football might see you beat Sunderland, hopefully at least, if it is Wycombe you face at Wembley as I expect, expect much of the same and pick your most workmanlike team. Good luck against Sunderland and also whoever you play in the final then at least one “proper” club gets back to nearer where you should be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Osafee said:

There are at least 7 or 8 clubs in L1 who could claim they’re too “big” to be there but are there for a reason. Just being “Big” doesn’t guarantee anything as two “Small” clubs proved by winning automatic promotion. Whoever you are, you have to find a way to win like Big Sam did for us against the top boys. We couldn’t afford the mega players to play worldie football like the Arsenals and Manures could so Sam found his own way to win. I see Wycombe like that as the dark arts and spoiling tactics against MK showed. Appleton sets his side out to win and whilst the free flowing football might see you beat Sunderland, hopefully at least, if it is Wycombe you face at Wembley as I expect, expect much of the same and pick your most workmanlike team. Good luck against Sunderland and also whoever you play in the final then at least one “proper” club gets back to nearer where you should be.

Remind me again who you support mate.

On balance of how the game went, 1-0 was actually a pretty decent result for us as it could've (and perhaps should've) been a wider margin at the end of the night.

Monday night will be a totally different game. As not the most wildly optimistic of Wednesday fans I'd be confident we'll (a) play better and (b) beat them, whether that'll be enough to get us through is another matter.

In any case I won't be crestfallen even if they manage to edge us out, if we keep the core of this squad together in the summer it's good enough to go up automatic next season anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

We have a great chance to reach Wembley. An early goal and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Yeah, was disappointed with Sam's error but we love him too much to dwell on it, I hope he can be our match winner on Monday.

Sunderland aren't all that. They managed a 1-0 win only in front of 40,000 of their own fans against a Wednesday team that hadn't been given the green light to play their normal attacking game. That will change on Monday in front of a massive, vociferous, passionate Hillsborough crowd.

Keep the faith. We've got this covered. I have all the confidence in the world with this set of Wednesday players.

It is going to be emotional. 

Winner from Sam Hutchinson.

And the key paragraph in this post is we weren’t given the green light to play our normal attacking game.

The crux of the matter is should we have been? Moore’s critics were always going to jump on this.

Now I’ve posted a few times in the last 24 hours that our away form and how we approach games needs to be addressed. I’m sure it will be but last night wasn’t the time to start this process.

I think what we saw last night is if our wing-backs are asked to hold back we’re not as effective an attacking force that we can be. As a result of this the midfield aren’t as fluent because the ball out wide when going forward is not an option when the wing-backs aren’t there. The forwards play deeper because they’re more likely to get played through than get the ball in the box and the centre backs weren’t making forward runs so our play stagnated as result.

Moore was quite rightly aware of how 43k can drive a side on and the objective was to nullify Sunderland’s attacking play which we did for large parts of the game. The only thing he got wrong for me was starting Berahino. If we’re not getting up the pitch like we normally do then Berahino is the wrong option. He should’ve started with Paterson. He would’ve relished last night’s game.

So we’re still in the tie. If we play like we can I’m very confident we’ll score 2 or 3 goals and if our season ends on Monday we’ve still had a good season. I think Moore’s building something special here but he’ll always have his critics and that’s something he’ll have to work against.

• Like 4

I think our wing backs were pre occupied with the excellent Roberts and Clarke.. at least for the 1st hour then they burnt out and took one off and we then like a more threatening going forward and was unlucky not to get an equalizer with Palmer having a couple of opportunities.. Johnson also them started to attack and deliver some of his crosses in.

The next leg we need not to sit back and let them worry about us as an attacking force.

I can see the same line up May be hunt instead of Palmer 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

And the key paragraph in this post is we weren’t given the green light to play our normal attacking game.

The crux of the matter is should we have been? Moore’s critics were always going to jump on this.

Now I’ve posted a few times in the last 24 hours that our away form and how we approach games needs to be addressed. I’m sure it will be but last night wasn’t the time to start this process.

I think what we saw last night is if our wing-backs are asked to hold back we’re not as effective an attacking force that we can be. As a result of this the midfield aren’t as fluent because the ball out wide when going forward is not an option when the wing-backs aren’t there. The forwards play deeper because they’re more likely to get played through than get the ball in the box and the centre backs weren’t making forward runs so our play stagnated as result.

Moore was quite rightly aware of how 43k can drive a side on and the objective was to nullify Sunderland’s attacking play which we did for large parts of the game. The only thing he got wrong for me was starting Berahino. If we’re not getting up the pitch like we normally do then Berahino is the wrong option. He should’ve started with Paterson. He would’ve relished last night’s game.

So we’re still in the tie. If we play like we can I’m very confident we’ll score 2 or 3 goals and if our season ends on Monday we’ve still had a good season. I think Moore’s building something special here but he’ll always have his critics and that’s something he’ll have to work against.

Play our normal game on Monday and we're off to Wembley. Simple as. 

Thank you for your reasoned input. Appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Could have been worse. 1-0 and you’re still in the game. 

Had that game been played at Hillsborough last night, we as the home side would be please we won, but slightly worried going there with only a 1-0 lead, thinking it should have been more and it could come back to haunt us.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LoadABallacks said:

Could have been worse. 1-0 and you’re still in the game. 

Had that game been played at Hillsborough last night, we as the home side would be please we won, but slightly worried going there with only a 1-0 lead, thinking it should have been more and it could come back to haunt us.  

My thoughts too really. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

I think our wing backs were pre occupied with the excellent Roberts and Clarke.. at least for the 1st hour then they burnt out and took one off and we then like a more threatening going forward and was unlucky not to get an equalizer with Palmer having a couple of opportunities.. Johnson also them started to attack and deliver some of his crosses in.

The next leg we need not to sit back and let them worry about us as an attacking force.

I can see the same line up May be hunt instead of Palmer 

Roberts and Clarke are two outstanding players for this level and an example that Sunderland are a good side. These are the type of Loan signings without restrictions that’s I think Moore can attract? The recruitment Moore has overseen this season can’t be underestimated.

• Like 1

You know what…. It’s been a long old season with lots of frustrations along the way

We should just push everything aside. Stop all the negative stuff and get 100% behind the lads Monday

This season could still be one of our most memorable if we end up winning at Wembley 

If it goes pear shaped everyone can have their say Tuesday 

UTO 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Remind me again who you support mate.

Lived in South Yorkshire for 40 years now but still a Bolton boy. Most of my family and friends are now Wednesday, Millers or Blades fans and I like to see the local teams do well. Sadly I’ve lost two “home”games with Millers up and Donny down and I’ll lose another if you do go up but at least the Tykes are down and they’re my nearest now. Good luck in the play offs anyway, Wednesday should be a top half PL side every year for me as they were when I was growing up. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Osafee said:

Lived in South Yorkshire for 40 years now but still a Bolton boy. Most of my family and friends are now Wednesday, Millers or Blades fans and I like to see the local teams do well. Sadly I’ve lost two “home”games with Millers up and Donny down and I’ll lose another if you do go up but at least the Tykes are down and they’re my nearest now. Good luck in the play offs anyway, Wednesday should be a top half PL side every year for me as they were when I was growing up. 😉

Thank you and good luck to you guys next season which might see us both still in League 1, though I hope not obviously.

I've gone the other way, moving from Sheffield to the North West, Lytham St. Anne's. Two of my fishing buddies who I was sharing a caravan with a couple of weeks ago, as we attended a fishing competition, are Bolton lads and supporters. Both good lads too.

Sheffield Wednesday, making friends and influencing people.

Burnley is a dump though.

• Haha 1

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Thank you. Before we accept.

Is it a nice house?

Mortgage free?

lol

Last night was our worse performance all season and we only lost 1-0 Infront of 42k Sunderland fans

I would be very worried if I were them. Last night they had the chance to put us to bed and they didn't take it

Monday will be a different story