Midfield

They say a game can is won or lost by whoever wins the midfield battle. For me tonight we lost the game by Bannan not being fully fit and Sunderland avoiding the midfield battle by playing continuous long balls which was their game plan from the off. On the rare occasions we got the ball down and played how we can, we showed we have the quality to break through Sunderland. On Monday it’s essential we get on the ball and play our own game and if Bannan isn’t fully fit then we consider utilising FDB for extra energy instead

• Like 4

4 hours ago, S63 Owl said:

They say a game can is won or lost by whoever wins the midfield battle. For me tonight we lost the game by Bannan not being fully fit and Sunderland avoiding the midfield battle by playing continuous long balls which was their game plan from the off. On the rare occasions we got the ball down and played how we can, we showed we have the quality to break through Sunderland. On Monday it’s essential we get on the ball and play our own game and if Bannan isn’t fully fit then we consider utilising FDB for extra energy instead

Didn't we lose the game because Hutchinson made a mistake I'm sure that's what happened

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Didn't we lose the game because Hutchinson made a mistake I'm sure that's what happened

A mistake by Hutchinson but the midfield and wing backs cost us the game, until the last 15 they offered no protection to the back three and isolated the strikers. Byers was the only one of the midfielders who tried to get it down and pass in the early part of the game, looked like the other 4 were overawed by the occasion.

We have seen all season if we try to defend for long periods we concede, it looked like a lack of bravery cost us more than 1 mistake. Sunderland could have had more goals, dominated play and had nearly twice as many shots. Look how easily they got through the midfield even though they were sat deep, add that Johnson struggled to stop his man on one side and Palmer does what he does, stands 10 yards away from his man and simply allows the cross into the box.

4 minutes ago, should know better said:

A mistake by Hutchinson but the midfield and wing backs cost us the game, until the last 15 they offered no protection to the back three and isolated the strikers. Byers was the only one of the midfielders who tried to get it down and pass in the early part of the game, looked like the other 4 were overawed by the occasion.

We have seen all season if we try to defend for long periods we concede, it looked like a lack of bravery cost us more than 1 mistake. Sunderland could have had more goals, dominated play and had nearly twice as many shots. Look how easily they got through the midfield even though they were sat deep, add that Johnson struggled to stop his man on one side and Palmer does what he does, stands 10 yards away from his man and simply allows the cross into the box.

So the only fact is we lost to a mistake

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

So the only fact is we lost to a mistake

A fact we could not score and barely threatened, but the back three competed better than the five in front of them, a mistake is what it is. but a lack of bravery or effort across the midfield and wing backs is worse in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, should know better said:

A fact we could not score and barely threatened, but the back three competed better than the five in front of them, a mistake is what it is. but a lack of bravery or effort across the midfield and wing backs is worse in my opinion. 

Yes we didn't score but without the mistake it's 0-0

10 hours ago, S63 Owl said:

I thought that BB was fit, it was just that he played a bit further up field, had an off game He came into it in the last 15mins dropping a bit deeper.

• Like 1