Absolute melts

2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Wigan and Rotherham have both competed at the top of this league in recent years and have that experience. In the last 12 games we have outperformed both of those sides. 85 points after a chaotic relegation is respectable IMO and I think the club would be daft to trigger another change process when what we clearly need is stability. 

No wigan survived relegation on the last day of the season in 2021

Their manager arrived 7 days before the season started 

They signed 22 players and got rid of 27 

Played more games than us and stayed the top 2 majority of the season 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ultimately it comes down to this.

A team's results are a combination of two factors, namely the manager and the players.

Each contributes to the club's success, but in differing ratios at differing clubs.

If you compare our squad to that of, say,  Rotherham, then it's clear that Warney has made more of a contribution to Rotherham's season than has Moore to ours.

Would the Millers have gone up under Moore? Probably not IMO, as they'd have shipped far more goals.

Would we have gone up under Warney? Possibly, because the defence would have been better organized.

3 hours ago, owl84 said:

Disagree on the squads think they are very similar. 

Would have been happier with the draw but one mistake cost us that. They gave us no time to be assertive thought they did that well.

Monday will be different altogether. Whether we have enough who knows. 

The problem is our penchant for giving away silly goals, something which has dogged us constantly under Moore.

IMO that's what will ultimately cost us.

We're now only another clanger away from being in this division next season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Im glad Darren Moore doesn’t give up and throw the towel in like some of the people posting in this thread have

I haven't thrown in the towel.

It's eleven against eleven (we hope) and of course we have a chance, especially at home.

But past experience inevitably forms our opinions.

It's our defending, or lack of it.

Like I said earlier, we're just one more clanger away from being in this division again next season.

You just know there's a few on here almost spaffing themselves at the thought of coming on here Monday evening and telling us how they were right all along.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

The problem is our penchant for giving away silly goals, something which has dogged us constantly under Moore.

IMO that's what will ultimately cost us.

We're now only another clanger away from being in this division next season.

How much of that is on the temperament of the players? 

Darren Moore can’t legislate for a seasoned pro like Hutch dropping a massive ball in a play off semi final. 

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

You just know there's a few on here almost spaffing themselves at the thought of coming on here Monday evening and telling us how they were right all along.

I think the number of people on this site who would rather be proven right than see the club go to the final must be very small.

In my particular case my heart says we will but my head says we won't.

I was the one who did the Moore emojis, as it happens, so I don't think anyone can accuse me of not wanting him here.

And if we falter on Monday I won't say anything different to what I'm saying now, namely that it's the giving away of silly goals which has cost us.

It's our persistent inability to defend set pieces, and our over-elaboration at the back.

Kick it, head it, Row-Z it...

I guess if it is to be the goal at Sunderland which ultimately sinks us, then it will be fitting.

10 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Darren Moore can’t legislate for a seasoned pro like Hutch dropping a massive ball in a play off semi final. 

No, he can't.

That's quite true.

But I was referring more to what's happened over the course of the season, rather than Hutchinson's blunder specifically.

Talking about the first leg, if we're honest Sunderland deserved to take a lead into the second leg, based on the game we saw.

OK, it was a clanger which gave them their goal, but they hit the woodwork too and by contrast we were very poor on the night.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 01:31, Owls2k said:

The issue there is Jos wasn't managing in a tinpot league chief. 

I don't care about anything but league position. 

We should have been top this season, as the squad and management we're aiming for. We're fourth. With a squad every other manager in this division drools over. 

And more importantly we're still approaching games in a petrified manner. 

Completely bizarre. 

Moore rebuilt the squad - did you expect the players to gel instantly? They are not robots. Did you expect Moore to absolutely know individual player’s strength and weakness and be able to find the right mix instantly? No manager ever has been able to do that from game one. Did you expect Moore to be able to win every game this season playing perfect attacking football? Even Pep and Klopp can’t do that. Consider all those things and throw in a major injury crisis at centre-halve.

You (and the other Wednesdayites that also have this unreasonable and impatient expectation) are full of 5h1t mate. Full. Of. 5h1t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Moore rebuilt the squad - did you expect the players to gel instantly? They are not robots. Did you expect Moore to absolutely know individual player’s strength and weakness and be able to find the right mix instantly? No manager ever has been able to do that from game one. Did you expect Moore to be able to win every game this season playing perfect attacking football? Even Pep and Klopp can’t do that. Consider all those things and throw in a major injury crisis at centre-halve.

You (and the other Wednesdayites that also have this unreasonable and impatient expectation) are full of 5h1t mate. Full. Of. 5h1t. 

I guarantee if we got someone else in within a few months they’d be slagging them off too. 

Im no fan of Chansiri but I really hope he ignores these so called supporters and let’s DM carry on with what he is building.  Chopping and changing managers has got this club absolutely nowhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

I guarantee if we got someone else in within a few months they’d be slagging them off too. 

Im no fan of Chansiri but I really hope he ignores these so called supporters and let’s DM carry on with what he is building.  Chopping and changing managers has got this club absolutely nowhere. 

I absolutely agree. 

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

Fair points.

Yet, strangely, organizing the defence is probably the easiest part of the team to deal with.

It's at the other end where managers usually have the problems.

So from the point of view of defending dead ball situations specifically, Moore must shoulder at least some of the blame if we're being fair.

And that's a problem which has dogged us all season long.

However, I will also defend Moore in other aspects of our play.

In truth, there have been two Wednesdays under Moore.

There's Moore's Wednesday in the first half of the season, and then there's his team in the second.

The bulk of the clangers dropped in defence occurred in the first half of the season in his play-it-out-from-the-back phase, made worse by a group who were unfamiliar with each other, as you say.

In the second half of the season that's been much less of a problem, so to his credit he did change for the better.

Whatever happens on Monday, I feel I'd like to acknowledge that fact.

4 hours ago, owls maniac said:

We went up there to try and get a 0-0..just like cc did at udders..we never layed a glove on them...we arnt gettin promoted..then at christmas everybody will want him out..including all the 'experts' who think they know more than tje rest of us..its like groundhog day

For every thread questioning DM, there are three whinging about bashing DM, usually posted pre-criticism.

At the end of the day, football's entertainment. A sideshow in the circus of life.

That's it.

Criticising the decisions of football managers on a football forum does not mean you aren't a fan, it's not going to effect his decisions or the results in any way, and even if he did look at any of this, he's a big boy and criticism from fans is part of the job in exactly the same way that the acclaim is when he wins. They're two sides of the same coin.

Grow up.

If someone raises a critical point, refute that point. Argue the point. Justify the decision in question.

Educate. Discuss.

Just because you disagree and think he's done a good job, doesn't mean you're right or wrong, it's your opinion.

Absolute melt, not a proper fan etc. aren't helping anyone. All it's coming across as is 'I don't have an argument, so I'll call them stuff so I can feel better'

You do realise that you're on here criticising people for criticising?

Can you honestly say you've never criticised a player or manager?

Hypocrites, all of you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

What we do know is that Sunderland gave everything they had on Friday night. It was their big home game where they had to create a winning position.

We also know that an Alex Neil side will do all they can to make sure the ball is only in play for about 50 minutes on Monday and they will try to hold onto their lead.

They had very little on Friday and one crazy mistake gave them an advantage.

If we go at it from the off, if we put them under pressure and if we are bold, we will win on Monday.

The crowd will be important and if we get frustrated it will rub off on the players…let’s just stay positive NO MATTER WHAT.

Oh, and it’s Moore that put together a load of loans and unwanted players and turned them into a play off team. He’s done a great job.

• Like 2