Would you have taken a 1-0 loss before kick off?

15 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

100% this,  Reminds me of our game at Brighton except this time we are Brighton if that makes sense?, We need a high tempo start first goal and a bit of luck. They had it with the way the ball ran last night after  BFP , had blocked the first Stewart shot.  

I thought the same thing. In that first game against Brighton I'm sure their fans went into meltdown and figured there was no way they could be on top in the second game. However, they had a 2 goal deficit to overcome, we only have 1 goal to pull back. The momentum could very quickly shift our way and the players I'm sure will be up for it. The game last night though is more evidence that this isn't an easy league and DM has done a decent job this season as there are some good teams in there. Despite the negative first half, we very nearly went in 0-0 and they needed an error from our player followed by a lucky bounce to score. They looked good for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half but that's the only period of the match where wee looked under pressure and it was understandable given the goal and the home crowd. 

Getting to Wembley is still in our hands. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mosborough-owl said:

Do you recon Sunderland are happy with a 1-0 advance? I think a lot of them will say no.

I think both clubs and fans will be about the same. It wasn't a terrible or brilliant result for either side.
You feel the incidents that will decide this tie are still ahead of us.

You go into every game to win, to do otherwise is madness.

This is a two leg game, still in it. Save the critical stuff till after the whole tie.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

The atmosphere at the end of the game told you all you needed to know. We were still singing after the game and the Sunderland fans had left the ground, didn't even stay for the lap of honour. Bannan and co still looked up for it and ok with the result. It's only half time with there advantage over. We believe this can be turned around and Sunderland fans were very nervous outside walking to the car. This is not a great result for them. Who knows Moore may have set his tactics out to hold on for 70 mins and try and grab a goal at the end. I'm not saying that's correct but a possibility. ..let's all calm down and enjoy Monday were we will come out flying at them. 

I wouldn’t have taken it but I’m still confident.

Beat Sunderland by any score over 90 minutes and we at least get extra time.

It obviously hasn’t always happened (that’s football) but I’d expect Wednesday to win a one off home match against any League One side.

• Like 1

Shame the way we conceded but I don’t think it’ll alter their game plan had it been 0-0.  They’ll park the bus and try and hit us on the break. If we can score in the first 30 mins I think we’ll run out comfortable winners. If it’s still 0-0 after an hour I’ll have a tenner on BPF scoring in the 91st minute.

• Haha 1

No I wouldn't. Their defensive record is impressive since the manager came and has massively improved. Don't be surprised if this finishes 1-0 on aggregate. Being negative in the first leg may cost us dear.

Edited by mark77

Absolutely not.....................but as Big D said I would have snatched your hand off for it at HT.

The performance was everything I feared it would be , passive and weak.

I`ve always maintained the reason Huddersfield looked so confident at Hillsborough in that 2nd leg stemmed from the fear we showed in the first , and I hope to God history doesn`t repeat itself.

We know the crowd will turn up Monday , please, please do the same DM and your team.

9 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

If so why are so many pissed off?< the overall level of performance?

Ask yourself can we play as poorly again?, can they match their level of performance . I expect a very different game on Monday, , for me getting  Wembley will be about the quality of our finishing     

no I wouldn’t have before but having watching the game play out as it did…it’s the best of a worse case kinda scenario. 

We have 90 minutes to score 2 goals with the home advantage and a very good home record. 

ideally we’d have loved to have nicked one but it’s certainly not disastrous

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

It's not the result but the performance and the approach. We're only a goal down but there was absolutely nothing tonight that suggests we can score two goals.

A much, much better performance is needed by just about everybody if we are to succeed.

It’s not as if we’ve won something like 17 games in all competitions at Hillsborough this season?  

I’ve even seen a stat that we’ve scored more goals than anyone else in the entire league this calendar year but yes last night’s cautious performance in front of 43k in the first leg of a two leg semi-final suggests we have no chance of scoring 2 goals in the second leg? 🤔

• Like 1

Absolutely.

Especially with our away form this season. 

Can’t wait for Hillsborough on Monday night! If it gets anywhere near the atmosphere against Brighton in the play-offs then it will be some occasion.

If that’s Sunderland at their best with the home crowd behind them, I feel like we can do better, especially if they sit back.

2 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Yes. We lost 5 - 0 last match at theirs so 1 - 0 is a massive improvement.

Some think we are entitled to win every match by 3 or 4 goals and overlook reality. "Just go and attack and we'll win easily".

It makes me laugh.

You can get by with a big loss in the league, but it's very difficult to turn around a 5 0 loss in the playoffs. We played cautiously and got through their expected early home pressure and pressed for the last 20 minutes.

It was a good result and we have home advantage to open up and grab it.

People expect too much...

Saved me writing the same thing.

Everyone banging on about how sh*t we were. I have been fairly critical of DMs tactics to be fair, but I thought he got this just about right considering it’s knockout football. 

A lot of hindsight in evidence last night. Should have, would have, could have.  

Truth is, they wouldn’t have scored without Hutch’s horrendous error.  Yeah, Berahino got bullied, was subbed. Hunt was left out but Liam did well (just a shame about the final balls on occasions, when he’s run his nads off and then the lack of quality finds him out), but other than that, who in absolute honesty would have lined up (or approached it) differently?

I’m not sure what people really expected. There are times to be gung ho and times to be a bit cautious. Maybe people thought Sunderland would be more than happy to let us play our nice football and wave us on our way to Wembley.

• Like 2

No matter what, losing is obviously never positive, but if i put myself in Sunderland's shoes I'd be feeling pretty nervous coming up to Monday night. I wouldn't be feeling massively confident with a 1-0 scoreline in front of a packed out Hillsborough. 

If either side scores early I expect that team to go on and win the tie

11 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

I'd say it is about a par score. 2 nil down we'd be up against it, 0-0 they'd be up against it

I'm thinking on Monday, we would need to score even if we came home with a 0-0 to progress.

So if we do score, it's likely we'll score again, and Wembley it is 😉

So, arguably, not much different coming home with 0-1 than 0-0, we would need to score on Monday regardless lol

• Like 1

Before the match no way would I have taken a 1-0 loss.

At HT I'd have ripped your arm off for it - thought there was a real danger of us getting overrun in the 2nd half, possibly losing 2 or 3 - 0, which would have virtually meant tie over.

Bizarrely, I think Wednesday fans should be the happier, although we were poor, rode our luck at times and were dominated for large portions of the match, we 'only' lost 1-0 - we won't play that badly again.

Sunderland on the other hand played a blinder, dominated most of the game, had twice the shots we did and still needed a Wednesday mistake to score - everything fell right for them and they 'only' won 1-0 - don't think they can repeat that on Monday, if I was them I'd be worried - they've missed there chance.

• Like 1

I said before the game I would take a 1 goal defeat, and in the end I was very happy that was how it finished.

We are 1 down at half time, I still think we will beat them at home - we will play a lot better, and we have been scoring goals for fun at home.....