Would you have taken a 1-0 loss before kick off?

6 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

We played poorly and only conceded due to a error by a usually reliable player. The meltdown by some is slightly pathetic.

I feel that some peoples reactions are at best disingenuous.

Bang on 

I think there's some kind of weird peer pressure in our fanbase to be "Get rid o t'lot of em" "F*CKING CRAP WEDNESDAY" "That was garbage sack the manager" 

It's like people who post the drama think it's going to win them some cool points off the burberry stone island mob or summat

It's weird

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

It's not the result but the performance and the approach. We're only a goal down but there was absolutely nothing tonight that suggests we can score two goals.

A much, much better performance is needed by just about everybody if we are to succeed.

No, although the way that game went last night I'm happy with the result. Sunderland ran their socks off, never let us play and we were clinging on especially early 2nd half. Could have been so much worse but Monday will be different. Keep the faith.

• Like 1

Given how the game played out and the chances they had, 1-0 is a good result. If anything, they will be disappointed it’s not a bigger margin.

1-0 at a full house Hillsborough, it’s in our hands still. Believe and get behind the team. 

Edited by SwellOwl
W
  • Like 1

I would never settle for a defeat no matter who we are playing

But… I think if we had gone toe to toe with them and lost by the odd goal I don’t think that’s too bad as it’s only half time. 

What has freaked everybody out is the performance and the worry they could stifle us again

Its the performance that has fueled the over reaction on here not the score

It will be a totally different game at Hillsborough and I’m still confident 

• Thanks 2

Next goal winner. We start games very quickly these days and if we can get one early doors I reckon we will win comfortably. We’ve got some big characters in this team, some of which are heading towards the back end of their career. They will see this as a huge opportunity. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

No. I think we started the tie as slight favourites Now I think we're slight underdogs, but it's not a disaster.

Must score first on Mondsy now though.

100% this,  Reminds me of our game at Brighton except this time we are Brighton if that makes sense?, We need a high tempo start first goal and a bit of luck. They had it with the way the ball ran last night after  BFP , had blocked the first Stewart shot.  

8 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

If so why are so many pissed off?< the overall level of performance?

Ask yourself can we play as poorly again?, can they match their level of performance . I expect a very different game on Monday, , for me getting  Wembley will be about the quality of our finishing     

100% yes to 1-0 loss.

Best, worst case result. 
Imagine if we’d only won 1-0 at S6 in 1st leg? We’d be bricking 2nd leg away, expecting to concede 2.

Or even if pigs had lost a 1st leg away 1-0, we’d all expect them to overturn it at home, so why not us? We know exactly what we need to do, get out there & win it. 

• Like 2

As stupid as it sounds to me 1-0 is perfect.

A draw or a win would have made it too cagey and we would have sat back which we are not very good. 

Now we have to come out and attack and win by two clear goals which is one of our strengths.

We know what the remit is now, anything less and it’s failure. 

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
8 hours ago, sternlad said:

Be reyt…. Think we can get two or more goals at home to this lot…they aren’t that good. 
Come on the Wiizzzaaaarrds in blue and white apparel 😉

This, not being bias, Sunderland were very ordinary and considering we were no where near our best, they still couldnt take advantage and came away with a win gifted to them by a howler. 

Probably yes.

But let’s not think we are in good shape for Monday. Sunderland’s away record under Neil (Neal, Neill?) is superb. They don’t lose.

But we are right in the tie at 1-0, with 90 minutes and possibly 120 minutes still to play. 

Given our away form this season and their home form, a home win was the most likely result, looking at it the other way round we would have been expected to win at home too. 

So a 1 nil defeat all things considered is not too bad, just how it came about from a mistake. 

And the fact we didnt start plating until the last 15 mins.