This is why….

Guest Jack the Hat

Games over two legs often lead to the home side having lots of possession and pressure. We see it in the champions league and the play-offs all the time. Monday night will see us with possession and I think we'll score. Sunderland will play on the counter. 

12 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wasn’t the best tactics from Moore. Him saying we wanted to stay in the tie summed them up. 

He’s just about got away with it because their finishing is so poor as it has been for months. It was a defensive line up with three centre backs , and two wing backs and a thin midfield esp with Bannan not making any impression. Byers and Massimo were the midfield in effect. 

12 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

At league one we can get away with it with better players. 
Higher up…….

The budget and DM’s good acquisitions give us a big advantage when as now we are fielding a Championship team of players. Who in last night’s team is a League 1 player? 

1 hour ago, SDS Owl said:

My comment was in relation to the negativity following last night’s narrow defeat and what it will be like if don’t get through on Monday. 

I will be going Monday just like I have over 1,000 times before but what I need to re-evaluate is why I feel the need to explain myself to Jonny Random on Owlstalk.

Yet you still feel the need to post negatively about a possible meltdown on here after 10pm Monday  before any mention of the actual match….. Almost as if you’re hoping for the wrong result!

Yours

J Random 

North Stand

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Wouldn’t say spot on 

Playing Berahino cost us he was totally out of his depth 

And if Paterson had started and been ineffective then he’s started the binman.

if Windass had started and then pulled up he’s not managed his injury correctly 

I don’t think we lost the game cos Saido started. People have been pining for us to give Gregory and Saido a run of games together and to stop tinkering with the strikers.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

So we play differently for 70 minutes to how we have for most of the season and a few of the players clearly looked uncomfortable, yet you think the tactics were spot on. That’s not a criticism btw, I think you have summed it up perfectly but our overall summary differs. My view is because of the first 70 minutes the tactics were wrong. I strongly believe if we had played our usual game we would be going into the second leg at least level.

I agree about playing our usual game, to be honest I’ve forgot how many times I said that to the chap stood next to me last night !  But I think deep down the scars are still there from the last visit. DM didn’t want any chance of that happening again !! We have Monday to put it right, and we will. #uto 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

From a financial point of view it is so important we go up this season. Another year in this league could be disastrous as the accounts showed. Will Chansiri be unable to pay the players again. Hope to God that doesn’t happen. 

Stop with the negative posting Waltham, positive posts only !!  
  We’re going up #uto  

• Like 1

Hopefully Moore and the players can put in a response to the abject performance on Friday. We have seen too many of these games this season.

My thoughts are if Moore can't get a performance out of them in arguably the 2 most important matches then he needs to go.

The squad is good enough and we are close but something is off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Do Sunderland have the 'nightmare' 1-0 lead, though?

I said this yesterday, but in a funny way going into the second leg a goal down might actually settle any nerves the team may have. They know what's needed and they're going to have to go for it. Sunderland are the ones who have to worry about whether to stick or twist. They're the ones who will be acutely aware that they only have a slender aggregate lead. And if we get the first goal, it will be Sunderland who are on the back foot.

The dynamic can change instantly. 

Totally agree all to play for Monday and an early goal either way will pile the pressure on….Going to be a nail biter Either way I don’t blame the manager for last night. 

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Yep, backs up the fact that Hutchinson dropped one. Nobody to blame but Hutchinson himself.

Totally miss read the speed and direction of the ball.

Moore is not to blame FFS

Well at least you are half right 😂

FFS indeed.

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

The budget and DM’s good acquisitions give us a big advantage when as now we are fielding a Championship team of players. Who in last night’s team is a League 1 player? 

The question wasn’t about the players it was about Darren’s tactical nous. 
but on the subject of the players, they are all league 1 players because that’s where they play.
however, they are all eminently capable of playing in the championship. 

4 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

I don’t think we lost the game cos Saido started. People have been pining for us to give Gregory and Saido a run of games together and to stop tinkering with the strikers.

Berahino made some good runs and got into decent positions, the service was shocking. 

Our best chance of the match IMO was the tame Gregory header from a Palmer cross early on; Berahino had made a prefect run onto the edge of the 6 yard box; if only Gregory had headed the ball across the goal instead of at the goal. 

We lost cos Hutch didn’t row Z it; simple as that. 

Guest mrbluesky
7 hours ago, SiJ said:

Careful.

He will offer you out under the North Stand.

I understand he's got quite a backlog to work through though so might take a while.

lollol

Guest Jack the Hat
7 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

The fault of the Huddersfield tie wasn’t even the away game. 0-0 back at home is far from bad.

The fault of Carlos was that we went 1-0 up at home then decided to stop plying football and try to see it out. That’s where he went wrong.

We were the better squad to Huddersfield . If we had played to win at their place it wouldn’t have needed the penalty shoot out

Guest Willow Owl
7 hours ago, victorturner said:

He’s just about got away with it because their finishing is so poor as it has been for months. It was a defensive line up with three centre backs , and two wing backs and a thin midfield esp with Bannan not making any impression. Byers and Massimo were the midfield in effect. 

You’ve described the same system that has seen us score more goals than anyone in the league since Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

We were the better squad to Huddersfield . If we had played to win at their place it wouldn’t have needed the penalty shoot out

I agree the fact we set up for 0-0 was poor, but it wouldn’t have been bad had we just continued to attack at home instead of getting 1 and calling it a day.

9 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Would you start Berahino on Monday then ?