Who is happier tonight after that?

We were poor tonight, for 70 minutes, IMO.

It could easily have been a lot worse.

We definitely rode our luck on a few occasions.

But a first leg play-off semi final away from home, in front of over 40,000 partisan Sunderland supporters, is a daunting situation for any team, not least a team that has only recently been able to call on the services of important players returning from long term injuries, for example Harlee Dean & Josh Windass.

Despite some of the derision expressed on here tonight, I would definitely have taken a 1-0 deficit prior to tonights' game.

Especially as Hillsborough will be rocking on Monday night, with 30,000 plus Owls fans vociferously backing our team.

We definitely have the players & the experience within the team to turn this semi-final around.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought that we could play as poorly again as we did for most of tonights game, even though, to their credit, Sunderland thoroughly deserved their victory.

I really feel for Sam Hutchinson tonight & hope that he doesn't become a scapegoat for our loss, as he has been a rock all season.

BB was definitely under par too.

But come Monday night, the Sky cameras will return to see the REAL Sheffield Wednesday!

Jack Hunt & Dean Windass to start, for me anyway, with Nathaniel Mendez Laing waiting in the wings.....

Come on Wednesday.

Let's fu*king do this!

UTO.

👍👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Sunderland will be kicking themselves. They had loads of amazing chances and had no composure. 

We are 1-0 down but have a packed Hillsborough and our home form to look forward to. 

It’s all to play for but I think WE have the upper hand. 

UTO

Definitely 

They’re obviously happier. Would have taken a draw but a one goal loss is kind of 60/40 in Sunderland’s favour now. Bookies had us as favourites to qualify for the final and now Sunderland are favourites so that tells you it’s a better result for them than us.

Not a good result but glad it’s not by 2 or more goals so we have a chance of turning it round.

2 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Agreed. We were poor but the only goal they scored was from a gift and a bit of luck.

Both sides had much better home records so I would be ok with only going 1 goal down into the 2nd leg, and that's what happened.

We can put teams to the sword at home. With Hunt back at WB and the crowd going, we can easily overturn this.

We avoided a big deficit and have been miles better at home all season. 

However well AN has welded a team together, I am not sure they have many quality players. We had nearly all Championship standard players on the field tonight thanks to our big budget for this league ,   however late in the game that we started to press. They needed Broadhead to play to be able to score the goals they needed.

8 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Sunderland will be kicking themselves. They had loads of amazing chances and had no composure. 

We are 1-0 down but have a packed Hillsborough and our home form to look forward to. 

It’s all to play for but I think WE have the upper hand. 

UTO

Definitely

Well said

Its game on now 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Make Sunderland slight favourites.

As others have said first goal on Monday is crucial.

Expect us to come out flying in 2nd Leg and put them under pressure for first 20 mins and we will see if they can handle it.

Sunderland seemed to have a very young side, half of them looked about 15 last night.

Sunderland will be the happier they have the advantage, if they score again it is difficult first of all to score two to level the tie but to win it we need three. Sunderland's only regret will be that the tie should be dead and buried they were so much the better side 

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Sunderland fans will feel happier, but I predicted that score before kick off and I’m not disappointed after it

I believe in our ability to score 2 goals at home against Sunderland

You know, I'm not sure they will after that. 

They didn't take their chances and this was the opportunity to. They know that the reverse fixture is going to be difficult and the chances they will get will likely be limited by comparison. They should have really run out at least 2-0 from this, against a timid and sloppy Wednesday side.  

Totally agree though on our ability at home. Score early, put the pressure on, get the fans screaming. 

10 hours ago, BIG D said:

I was bricking it with a 2-0 lead over Brighton!

Neil is a cautious manager. He’ll not know how to approach the 2nd leg apart from frustrate us. We will do this. 

Yeah that makes sense, considering at both Norwich and Hamilton he's been promoted via the play offs. 

Played at the highest level, managed at the highest level, yet he won't know how to approach a 2nd leg apart from frustrating us 

What a ridiculous comment. Sunderland have been one of the best sides in the division since he took over.

lol

1 minute ago, 0742 said:

Yeah that makes sense, considering at both Norwich and Hamilton he's been promoted via the play offs. 

Played at the highest level, managed at the highest level, yet he won't know how to approach a 2nd leg apart from frustrating us 

What a ridiculous comment. Sunderland have been one of the best sides in the division since he took over.

lol

I have to agree with this. Alex Neil is a caution first manager that has turned a shaky and weak minded Sunderland into a solid outfit. Whether their fans have the nerve or not is another matter but I believe Neil will have them well drilled and confident of taking a draw or narrow win at Hillsborough. Obviously they are beatable and we can definitely beat them but **** me we need to turn up. Not perform like that Huddersfield play off game. 

• Like 2

We don't have a good record of coming from behind to win - I'd prefer to be Sunderland's shoes in all honesty. Let's just hope we turn up this time and go at them from the start... Last thing we need is the crowd getting jittery...