SUNDERLAND -V- WEDNESDAY (Play off 1st Leg) OMDT

What a frustrating watch that was. Couldn't control or pass the ball, countless stupid mistakes, seemingly lacking in conviction and how many times did we just aimlessly lump the ball forward to nobody? The referee didn't really affect the outcome but he needed no encouragement to give free kicks for even furrowing of the brow in the general direction of an opponent. Things only picked up towards the end when we actually tried keeping the ball on the floor, presumably because they seemed to lose energy.

We looked like a team of amateurs that had never played in a decent sized arena before and went out there with the ides that a 0-2 defeat wouldn't be too bad. What are the odds that the difference will end up being that moment of absolute madness by Hutchinson?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Awful performance, awful tactics. Lucky to only be one down.  

Thought the tactics were spot on tbh. Aside the mistake from Hutch, would have been 0-0.

Sunderland's home record is superb. We couldn't afford to lose by 5 again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sMacLean said:

Result just one Hutch mistake away from decent. Sunderland a better side than I expected but burnt themselves out.

We need Bannan to be fit for Monday, think we can score 3 or 4 at home.

They man marked Bannan out of the game, at home he will have more license to move around, he was often having to go back in defence to get away from his man marking..  They did well to be fair to keep him quiet..  Windass again looks better, just needs more match time..

1 minute ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Admire the confidence in some of fans for the 2nd leg, I'll be honest I don't see it been a successful night for us, Neil will set them upto sh!thouse all night, he's a master of it,and we struggle against teams like that. I think the occasion has got to them unfortunately. 

Moore has a lot of explaining to do setting us up like that? Why? Just play our normal game, we aren't a side that is capable of sitting deep and soaking up pressure. Just like Huddersfield, going to set up for a draw has cost us promotion 

I'm surprised he shut them down the last 15, didn't think he needed to at all. 

We lacked courage, opting to head instead of control and pass. Bannan clearly not fit, Byers didn’t look right either. Windass started to play and got us going. Scoring against them isn’t going to be easy, but I expect a significantly better performance at Hillsboro.

What about Alex Neil. Shut up shop with 20 minutes to go lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

Hardworking but edgeless performance. Soaked up everything except that daft error. One goal isn’t enough for them, I fancy us second leg. 

A very fair assessment.  I saw every game last season and there were so many capitulations.  That was very hard-working performance from us tonight and we did really well to get back into it. I don't remember us fighting back anything like that last year. 

Our fans were outstanding against Portsmouth and I have no doubt we'll create an even more intimidating atmosphere on Monday.  A disappointing result tonight, but I believe in us to give as good as got on Monday.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

Its always the risk when you try to contain a team, but we needed to do that and it was important we didnt lose by more than one or it would be all but over... as it stands its still all to play for..

It’s typical we probably put Palmer in to do the defensive side and then all the chances fell to him!

• Like 2

It wasn’t that bad. First half pretty solid, apart from Hutch trying to be Gerrard. Forst ten or so minutes of the second half was shocking, then we grew into it. 

We’re always better when we set up to attack. We can do it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horatio Hornblower said:

We are far better playing on the front foot like when we played MK away. 

Sitting back, inviting the opposition on isn’t our game and we concede. 

We try and overplay at the back when we haven’t got the personnel to do that. Again inviting pressure on. 

Sunderland’s fitness is lacking. We’ve got to exploit that and start on the front foot on Monday and press. 

Aye can’t agree more - today we were like mice for most of game just trying to stifle them and not concede.

I’d prefer to start on front foot rather than try for a draw and go for it when time is running out.

Then again what do I know as I might be biased as not a Moore tactician fan.

Just now, catdog1121 said:

They man marked Bannan out of the game, at home he will have more license to move around, he was often having to go back in defence to get away from his man marking..  They did well to be fair to keep him quiet..  Windass again looks better, just needs more match time..

No he wasn't fit thats why Moore kept him on for 95 minutes ....................he's a closet Sunderland fan yer know

1 minute ago, kristmace said:

Thought the tactics were spot on tbh. Aside the mistake from Hutch, would have been 0-0.

Sunderland's home record is superb. We couldn't afford to lose by 5 again!

Stewart might have got a goal from the keeper error , maybe should have done.

1 minute ago, Lawrie Madden said:

They didn't create that much one piece of brilliance from Pritchard and couple of decent-ish shots 

That's my point,get at em early and I don't think they'll live with us,last20 mins tonight we could have had an equaliser.All to play for UTO.

So the Moore Out brigade will be full on in their criticism over the weekend. Fair enough let them spew whatever they want to.

The job was to come back  to Hillsborough with something to play for and we have. Personally I think Sunderland’s chance was tonight. They’re in front because of a Wednesday error and in truth only really threatened when we tried to shoot ourselves in the foot which we unfortunately have a tendency to do.

At Hillsborough it’ll be different. Our style of play is suited to playing at home as the contrasting home and away records this season show.

Tonight we tried to play it safe. In time we have to try and play away like we do at home but tonight was not the night.

Sunderland will be favourites because they’re in front but we attack them like we have attacked sides at home then Sunderland will fold. Every confidence that we’ll get to Wembley.

• Like 5