Prem Hall Of Fame - still a farce ?

Bit of a pointless exercise, but it's something the PL obviously want to replicate from the major American sports where this is much more common.

Is there anyone with a "tarnished name" you think should be in this that you don't think would be?

5 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Bit of a pointless exercise, but it's something the PL obviously want to replicate from the major American sports where this is much more common.

Is there anyone with a "tarnished name" you think should be in this that you don't think would be?

John Terry and Ashley Cole should be in already imo. 

Ryan Giggs should be in too, but we all know what's going off there atm. 

It's a load of nonsense though really, isn't it? 

As Sheffield Dave Says, a very American thing. 

Where do you draw the line between what equates to being in the Hall of Fame and what does not?

I mean some players are absolutely nailed on tbf I'd say all of those who are currently in deserve to be so. 

But do guys like Phil Neville, John O'Shea, West Brown, Nicky Butt, Darren Fletcher etc., deserve to go in? Not the best players, but they won a shed load and were important squad players in the PL's dominant force of the 90s/00s. 

If he wasn't a crackpot, then I have no doubt that Le Tissier would be getting in before too long. Yeah, a very gifted player, but he spent his entire career as the big fish (whale) in a small pond constantly fighting relegation battles. 

Paulo Di Canio is another one. Probably doesn't get in due to being his political views, but you could argue he should get in for his ability and his status with us to a point and certainly West Ham. Once again though, he won nothing and never played at the very highest level. 

2 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Is there an actual 'hall of fame'? Or is it just a list of players? Like the sort of conversation you have in the pub where you name your best England XI?

All seems a bit pointless to me.

You mean like a physical building? 

Pretty sure it's just a website :duntmatter:

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

You mean like a physical building? 

Pretty sure it's just a website :duntmatter:

Yeah, I was thinking they could have some sort of visitors attraction that traces back the entire history of the game since it's inception in 1992. Waxworks of the inductees,  and an interactive global map that shows how many of the premier league clubs are foreign owned and how much debt they have put on the clubs etc.

14 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Yeah, I was thinking they could have some sort of visitors attraction that traces back the entire history of the game since it's inception in 1992. Waxworks of the inductees,  and an interactive global map that shows how many of the premier league clubs are foreign owned and how much debt they have put on the clubs etc.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Duff Factory tour. 

Perhaps the EFL could open a museum/tour too?. That would be good. 

"What does the future hold for the EFL? Well, let's say we've got a few ideas up our sleeves." 

"Like what?" 

"Uh - I'd rather not get into it right now." 

"Why not?" 

"All right. We don't have any ideas for the future. We got nothing. Happy?"

"No."

• Haha 2

Lampard and Gerrard - Both fantastic players and deserve t be in there

But they got in there before the likes of Scholes and Viera?

I know the order will likely not mean much, but just seems to be a popularity thing. 

1 hour ago, BridportOwl said:

The NFL Hall of Fame has a physical building in Canton, Ohio. It's a proper tour, like a museum charting the history of the sport.. even the reason for being where it is has a historical importance. And there is a bronze bust of every player in the Hall of Fame. 

America and US sports often get a lot of bad rep for being plastic or having a lack of history or whatever.. but I think their sports typically do a better job of celebrating history and achievement than we do here. Don't need to look any further than our own City to see that.

Having said that, I still don't really know what the point is. I think the Premier League would like this to become a big ceremonial thing where we spend half the sporting year arguing about who deserves to be in it or not. It's not for me or my generation of football supporters, but I think this is a clear play for the younger generation where everything is about comparing who the "GOAT" is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Ashley Cole for definite… not sure why he isn’t in there… other than a few people think he’s a nob. 

As I understand it they were doing it in some sort of order…. but Kompany is in there before him ? 

You’ve got the Terry and Giggs issues… but there’s Cantona in there and he flying kicked a fan. 

It’s a bit of a mess. 

4 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Legendary footballing memorabilia such as the 1970s boardroom table

Dave Richards Memorial Pond

Big Sam’s Big Bar (pints of wine only)

• Like 1