SWFC On this day 1980

A great day after a long year - we were finally on the way back. Absolutely packed that day, and the club must have kept a few thousand in gate money as the official attendance was way over the 33k reported. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FR0T5DoWQAML4bL.jpg

FR0T5DoXEAArLMp.jpg

FR0T5DlXMAEkwno.jpg

FR0T5EAXEAE7mxy.jpg

ON THIS DAY 1980: Sheffield Wednesday celebrate promotion at home to Carlisle United

Gerroff pitch yerr bloody hoolies sag’ll do us for capacity 

oh bugger 

I dug some turf up with my bare hands during that pitch invasion, took it home & planted in the garden.

I was 10 years old but I’m still expecting a life time ban & to burn in hell for eternity.

20 minutes ago, Wee Willie Henderson said:

I was 15 at the time and I needed a shove up over the fencing  from the Leppings Lane end and remember it being a  long drop from the top, but I made it onto the pitch. Don't think I've bothered going on since.

Same here, I was 16, bloody hard work getting over that fence, we climbed over into South stand. 

Great day even though match wasn't very good. 

I'm almost certain that they weren't any Carlisle fans that day. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Same here, I was 16, bloody hard work getting over that fence, we climbed over into South stand. 

Great day even though match wasn't very good. 

I'm almost certain that they weren't any Carlisle fans that day. 

Not many seemed to travel to Hillsborough in the 3rd , can't even remember where they were situated when they did.

2 minutes ago, Watto said:

Not many seemed to travel to Hillsborough in the 3rd , can't even remember where they were situated when they did.

Only teams I recall bringing some fans that season was obviously pigs on Boxing Day and Chesterfield. I don't remember Rotherham bringing any when we beat them 5-0. 

Probably wise thing to do with most of our hooligans gathering on Leppings Lane terrace in them days. 

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

Only teams I recall bringing some fans that season was obviously pigs on Boxing Day and Chesterfield. I don't remember Rotherham bringing any when we beat them 5-0. 

Probably wise thing to do with most of our hooligans gathering on Leppings Lane terrace in them days. 

I recall Millwall being in that boys pen on bottom left side of Kop , possibly Grimsby now thinking about it , trouble is , it was 40 odd year ago now 😩

I was there, on the Lepps. Got a leg up to climb over the barrier just as the stewards opened all the gates!!!

Ended up with a pair of Bolder's gloves (Still no idea how that happened)

• Like 1

I was there age 10. In the West Stand, the best view of all. Poor game, but I always remember one of the blokes behind us who said, when we missed a sitter in front of us,‘Ahh Mellor! Yer ‘eads on a pivot!’

Strange day. We ended up taking my Dad’s colleague from work’s daughter with us called Petra, then never saw her again.

As an avid programme collector as a kid, it was a massive disappointment that on this day of days there was no proper match day programme. JW Northend were on a printers strike I think. We ended up with some mono blue printed handout leaflet version with Ticker Taylor on the cover….

32,734 was announced but I think there must have been more. Great day, I’ll always remember surveying the scene from the West Stand, don’t think we left till about 6 O’Clock as the players took a bow in the directors box. Thanks for the memories Big Jack. 

4 hours ago, goldensmoke said:

I was there age 10. In the West Stand, the best view of all. Poor game, but I always remember one of the blokes behind us who said, when we missed a sitter in front of us,‘Ahh Mellor! Yer ‘eads on a pivot!’

Strange day. We ended up taking my Dad’s colleague from work’s daughter with us called Petra, then never saw her again.

As an avid programme collector as a kid, it was a massive disappointment that on this day of days there was no proper match day programme. JW Northend were on a printers strike I think. We ended up with some mono blue printed handout leaflet version with Ticker Taylor on the cover….

32,734 was announced but I think there must have been more. Great day, I’ll always remember surveying the scene from the West Stand, don’t think we left till about 6 O’Clock as the players took a bow in the directors box. Thanks for the memories Big Jack. 

Great post

Odd what we remember int it!

This was a great time to be a Wednesdayite but it was a difficult time for the country. Strikes were happening left right and centre and as a consequence a lot of our achievements around that time were often not reported on much at all

It’s hard finding anything on the win over Blackburn or the replays with Arsenal

Sad really

Cant take yer memories though

Always remember Big Jacks proud beaming face in the stand after the game

• Like 1

Great post

I was just 8 years old sat on a barrier on the Kop with my old man. Just remember it being a hot day, a dull game and seemed more than 33k there.. We were promoted and that's all that mattered. What a legend Big Jack was. Great memories.