Best English football club sponsor ever

5 minutes ago, BOOFABI said:

Had a look into it, looks like there's some disagreement ont tinternet as to whether it was Kettering in 1976 or Coventry in 1974. It doesn't look like the Coventry claim is correct, though, as their first sponsor was Talbot who didn't appear until 1980, after shirt sponsorship became allowed by the FA in 1977.

image.thumb.png.6e7dc4a14449b9e95795f9870a381928.png

Kettering, on the other hand, had a sponsor on the shirt before they had a badge, and opted for asking forgiveness rather than permission, wearing the sponsor in at least two different configurations in 1976, both as pictured below and as "Kettering T", which they told the FA stood for Kettering Town rather than Tyres.

image.png.981a5e4c4c661bdcf87e35e7f3f640f6.png

Both quite sharp shirts I think, shame about Kettering's colours though.

https://footballpink.net/2018-10-22-a-brief-history-of-football-shirt-sponsorship/

I didn’t say you could cheat!

The Kettering one was the student’s finding.

First foreign one?

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I didn’t say you could cheat!

The Kettering one was the student’s finding.

First foreign one?

Oh sorry, i didn't realise it was quiz trivia! I thought it was a question fot laugh. Unfortunately I've just read the answer in the article I linked, but I won't spoil it for others.

Spoiler

Eintracht Braunschweig 1973

image.png.37bbd8c71d9165343a95779d8d2f94b3.png

Not sure how I feel about it. It's unique, but it makes me think of something they'd make you wear if you joined a cult.

...also, why isn't there a trivia thread?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOOFABI said:

Oh sorry, i didn't realise it was quiz trivia! I thought it was a question fot laugh. Unfortunately I've just read the answer in the article I linked, but I won't spoil it for others.

Hide contents

Eintracht Braunschweig 1973

image.png.37bbd8c71d9165343a95779d8d2f94b3.png

Not sure how I feel about it. It's unique, but it makes me think of something they'd make you wear if you joined a cult.

...also, why isn't there a trivia thread?

Apparently that sponsor eventually left football, saying ‘alcohol and sport don’t mix’. 😬

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Apparently that sponsor eventually left football, saying ‘alcohol and sport don’t mix’. 😬

Jägermeister said that? Interesting take, though it appears all the big clubs from Merseyside and Tyne and Wear would disagree

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scram said:

Doesn't get cooler than this...

image.thumb.png.84fa65e9b42153a9e653e6aa0e3bf447.png

image.png.30a555a3fa9870335761663a48d0f053.png

image.png.358a9356c0efc6d63f216ec13454b67f.png

I'm with ya in theory but in practice...

image.png.a7f3f83af0bb506f06e7d5c743ebe5ae.png

The design could have been so much more interesting. It's far too plain for me.

9 hours ago, scram said:

You are criticising them for using their logo?

Pretty bizarre tbh

I'm saying the results are visually unappealing 

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Now we know where Red Bull got the idea from for RasenBallsport Leipzig, or RB Leipzig, for short. 

Thanks for sharing, I was totally unaware of this. I had always assumed it was "Red Bull" Leipzig, Salzburg, etc. I suppose this was exactly their intent. I wonder how they would justify RB Sheffield Wednesday, as some have suggested was a possibility.

On 03/05/2022 at 07:20, beswetherick said:

I think I’m in the minority of fans who quite liked Chupa Chups - how many other teams have played in a shirt with a sponsors logo designed by Salvador Dali? 

Newcastle Brown Ale is probably the best though, they had some great shirts in the 90s

It’s the only sponsor we’ve had that someone in a remote village somewhere else in the world would have heard of