Best English football club sponsor ever

3 hours ago, Clowne Owl said:

I think I remember that SEGA means something rude in Italian so they weren't allowed to wear it on the shirts in Europe

Didn't know that, is that why they had Dreamcast on some shirts then?

17 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Just been pondering this myself as it happens. Prompted by how terrible Man United’s “Team Viewer” sponsorship looks.

Newcastle Brown Ale has got to be up there? 

I generally miss the age when a lot of the big global tech brands were involved. Sharp and JVC were both classics.

Pioneer  was the best   .. almost made me want to buy a Ipswich  Town shirt😀

2 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I remember Everton being one of the first way back when, when they were sponsored by Hafnia or something. Had no idea then or now what Hafnia do/did!

Tinned pork products.

9 hours ago, Clowne Owl said:

I think I remember that SEGA means something rude in Italian so they weren't allowed to wear it on the shirts in Europe

I think it means 'saw' unless I have got that completely wrong  which is entirely possible. 

7 hours ago, Wing Back said:

I think it means 'saw' unless I have got that completely wrong  which is entirely possible. 

Think about how your hand is positioned around the handle of a saw, and the motion of your hand as you use one.

Then think like a sex obsessed Italian making up slang.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

On 03/05/2022 at 10:06, katie melua said:

Skint - Fatboy Slims record label who sponsored Brighton and Hove Albion for years

Tottenham Hotspur being sponsored by Holsten. One of the sponsors I remember from when I started watching football

Skint in the mid 90s released some amazing records.

Shame we never had similar with Warp, that would have looked class

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/label-profile-warp-records-398605.html?amp

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 09:41, alanharper said:

Holsten, JVC, Sharp, Hitachi/Candy, Crosby Kitchens

Big sponsors for big clubs

My sister’s then boyfriend convinced her that Arsenal were sponsored by a local firm called John’s Video Company. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bannofan said:

At one stage we had nothing but Panasonic electrical stuff in the house, so this Forest shirt does it for me .

Think they now just sponsor Gamba Osaka. 

Dc3eHAFWkAUHzkP.jpg.c4674e8afa92ff95f9eb0d7c0b32abc4.jpg

I was going to say Marseille too but I think they recently changed to uber eats

On 06/05/2022 at 07:02, Bannofan said:

At one stage we had nothing but Panasonic electrical stuff in the house, so this Forest shirt does it for me .

Think they now just sponsor Gamba Osaka. 

Dc3eHAFWkAUHzkP.jpg.c4674e8afa92ff95f9eb0d7c0b32abc4.jpg

They used to sponsor Huddersfield as well, before their PL days. I always find it a bit weird when big companies sponsor smaller clubs, like Panasonic for Huddersfield, Suzuki for MK Dons and Burger King for Stevenage. 

I recently supervised a student on their project about sponsorship in football. Here’s a few quiz questions based on it:

Who were the first team in Europe to have a shirt sponsor (and what was the company)?

Same question but in England?

Why were the BBC (broadcasting, not pig hooligans) a reason why top flight English clubs were late to embrace shirt sponsors?

13 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I recently supervised a student on their project about sponsorship in football. Here’s a few quiz questions based on it:

Who were the first team in Europe to have a shirt sponsor (and what was the company)?

Same question but in England?

Why were the BBC (broadcasting, not pig hooligans) a reason why top flight English clubs were late to embrace shirt sponsors?

Had a look into it, looks like there's some disagreement ont tinternet as to whether it was Kettering in 1976 or Coventry in 1974. It doesn't look like the Coventry claim is correct, though, as their first sponsor was Talbot who didn't appear until 1980, after shirt sponsorship became allowed by the FA in 1977.

image.thumb.png.6e7dc4a14449b9e95795f9870a381928.png

Kettering, on the other hand, had a sponsor on the shirt before they had a badge, and opted for asking forgiveness rather than permission, wearing the sponsor in at least two different configurations in 1976, both as pictured below and as "Kettering T", which they told the FA stood for Kettering Town rather than Tyres.

image.png.981a5e4c4c661bdcf87e35e7f3f640f6.png

Both quite sharp shirts I think, shame about Kettering's colours though.

https://footballpink.net/2018-10-22-a-brief-history-of-football-shirt-sponsorship/