Gregory & Berahino

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Absolutely.

I for one thought Saido was a write-off. He’s been a revelation last few months. Plays as a proper striker, knows where the net is, and he seems to be really enjoying his football and being part of our team. 

Moore did tell us, but although I thought at that point that Berahino could still have a part to play in our season, that was based on my trust in Moore's word rather than anything I'd really seen with my own eyes.

He looked really lightweight up until early February to me, which is when he started to chip in with assists and goals on anything like a consistent basis. That assist for Mendez-Laing against Morcambe, where he out-muscled his marker and then picked out a pass was a bit of a turning point, really.

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Just look at their recent success.

Gregory since injury 

920 minutes

8 goals

1 assist

Berahino 

750 minutes

7 goals

3 assists

These two firing like this makes such a difference. 

Here you go with your bloody stats again. 

• Haha 1

Gregory is clearly playing right at the peak of his powers.

Perfect timing.

He was absolutely magnificent on Saturday.

Berahino is a natural striker. The best we have had available and far more effective than NML in my opinion. He’s very frustrating though and if Windass was fully fit I know what my decision would be.

Gregory was unplayable last Saturday.  He showed everything you wanted in a striker against Portsmouth.  Absolute masterclass of a performance.  

I like the guy and even if he is / or used to be a blade he has given nothing but 100% commitment in a Wednesday shirt.

As for Saido, he’s been great.  He seems very lightweight at times but has that knack of scoring.

Gregory and Saido to start against Sunderland if fit.  …..But isn’t it great that we have players like Windass and Mendez-Laing who can make a massive contribution in the two legs.  

At this level we have a talented and dare I say it, balanced squad.

I’ve read some of the posts on the Sunderland message boards and some (not all) think we are going to get spanked especially after they beat us 5-0 last time.  I’m quietly confident that they will meet a very different Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Owly Owl said:

They are much better then Kachunga aren't they. 

No doubt. 

Thankfully Berahino hasn't lived up to the 'new Kachunga' tag that was used on here at some point. 

The memories of Kachunga and Harris running up blind alleys or smack into opposition defenders still make me shudder.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marro said:

Gregory was unplayable last Saturday.  He showed everything you wanted in a striker against Portsmouth.  Absolute masterclass of a performance.  

I like the guy and even if he is / or used to be a blade he has given nothing but 100% commitment in a Wednesday shirt.

As for Saido, he’s been great.  He seems very lightweight at times but has that knack of scoring.

Gregory and Saido to start against Sunderland if fit.  …..But isn’t it great that we have players like Windass and Mendez-Laing who can make a massive contribution in the two legs.  

At this level we have a talented and dare I say it, balanced squad.

I’ve read some of the posts on the Sunderland message boards and some (not all) think we are going to get spanked especially after they beat us 5-0 last time.  I’m quietly confident that they will meet a very different Wednesday.

I’d put Paterson into that too. He’s a very useful sub up front. I’d also put Kamberi in that bracket before NML, though clearly I’m in a small minority with that view.

• Thanks 1

Before Gregory got injured I didn't get the loving for him I just didn't rate him,missed lots of chances etc looked slow and awkward to me..Since he's been back he's  a different player,looks sharp,works the line,holding it up alot better,team player and is clinical now in front of goal.

I think Him and Berihino complement each other and now chuck Windass in the mix we have 3 very different forwards all very capable at this level.Im.not going to say I was wrong because,1st half of season our forwards were gash.imo.

Long may it continue,well done lads...

UTO.....

• Like 1

It amazes me how any thread topic on here can be turned in to a bunch of folk having a dig at others for their earlier opinions. 

In such a transient sport, many on here don't half like to dig out their fellow fans for previous remarks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Windass has to start when fully fit 

He gives us a dimension that no-one else can 

I don't think anyone 'has to' start - that's the kind of dogmatic thinking that leads to some fans getting hot under the collar every time the manager deviates from their uncompromising ideals.

But I get what you mean re: Windass - when fully fit, I'd back him to be a starter more often than not. We simply don't have anyone else who offers what he can.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see a fully-fit Windass this season, are we?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't think anyone 'has to' start - that's the kind of dogmatic thinking that leads to some fans getting hot under the collar every time the manager deviates from their uncompromising ideals.

But I get what you mean re: Windass - when fully fit, I'd back him to be a starter more often than not. We simply don't have anyone else who offers what he can.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see a fully-fit Windass this season, are we?

Fair.

Let's call it the 80/20 rule

If fit, then I would expect to see Windass starting min 80% of the time.

• Like 1

Just now, McRightSide said:

Fair.

Let's call it the 80/20 rule

If fit, then I would expect to see Windass starting min 80% of the time.

I could go with something like that. He's been a massive loss this season, but we've got to where we are without him.

I'm going to take any game time he gets in the playoffs as a bonus, really.

I think Windass coming off the bench in those few games was a plus.

I don’t see anything in the few games he started to suggest he should/would be a key starter for us.

I hope he stays fit as he certainly makes that bench look scary.

• Like 1