Gregory & Berahino

Gregory is absolutely class at this level, far too good. 

That said, injuries are catching up with him and he's likely going to miss more than he plays so we need to look at back up options for next season. 

As long as berahino can keep his feet on the ground and work hard, we will have a player on our hands who could very easily make the step up to championship level and deliver for a few years to come. 

Whatever league we are in next season, we need good young back up players to be ready to step in and deliver when these two are out.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And to think there were some who didn't understand why most of us were so keen to see Gregory back in the team.

Having to explain to Wednesday fans what he offers over the likes of Kamberi was bizarre, to say the least.

Most of them get it now, I think.

I don't think there's any real argument that a fully fit Gregory is the better option.

But maybe his return needed to be carefully managed?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And massive credit to Darren Moore for standing by Berahino when most fans thought he was a write-off.

Very true. And I admit to being one of those who lost faith. One thing I have learned is not to rush to criticise the manager when he makes team selections that don't make immediate sense. Because we are looking from the outside and are not party to planning that goes on behind the scenes. Clearly there was longer term thinking going on with Berahino.

Longer term thinking. Good heavens, whatever next.........

• Like 7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Very true. And I admit to being one of those who lost faith. One thing I have learned is not to rush to criticise the manager when he makes team selections that don't make immediate sense. Because we are looking from the outside and are not party to planning that goes on behind the scenes. Clearly there was longer term thinking going on with Berahino.

Longer term thinking. Good heavens, whatever next.........

Spot on.

Even in the short-term, on a game-by-game basis, we're not party to even a fraction of the info. that the manager is, and yet we have some on here who seem to genuinely think they know better than him how to use the players he brought to the club.

🤯

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Never in doubt for me that these two should start together and continue to do so.

Gregory’s been good all season but has played like a man possessed in his last two games. And Berahino’s general play has improved since his comeback at Doncaster and his minutes per goal ratio is nearly down to 100 in that time which is phenomenal.

With Windass chomping at the bit it’s looking very good from an attacking perspective right now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And massive credit to Darren Moore for standing by Berahino when most fans thought he was a write-off.

His words in early February look quite prescient now, don't they?

"With Saido, we feel that he started well when he first came but we realised that the level of football he’s been playing in the last couple of years is probably not of the physical level that it is here.

“What I can say now is that he is a far stronger, more robust player because he’s someone that, behind the scenes, has put in a lot of work.

“He’s far better when I look at him now compared to when he came in with the power and strength that he’s got now.

“In terms of him as a player that can score goals, I’m very happy with him and I’m sure that, should chances drop to him if he gets that game time, he’ll put the ball in the back of the net.”

From the outside looking in, it seems like he's managed him perfectly, doesn't it?

Absolutely.

I for one thought Saido was a write-off. He’s been a revelation last few months. Plays as a proper striker, knows where the net is, and he seems to be really enjoying his football and being part of our team. 

• Like 3

Guest mrbluesky

Both good players, but...lol

Berahino is great when Wednesday is great, all I would say, being uber critical is to work on his closing down

Gregory runs his blood to water all the time win, lose or draw

But keeping these two fit could be a great partnership.

3 hours ago, 0742 said:

Gregory is absolutely class at this level, far too good. 

That said, injuries are catching up with him and he's likely going to miss more than he plays so we need to look at back up options for next season. 

As long as berahino can keep his feet on the ground and work hard, we will have a player on our hands who could very easily make the step up to championship level and deliver for a few years to come. 

Whatever league we are in next season, we need good young back up players to be ready to step in and deliver when these two are out.

Gregory is having an excellent season with us but as you said, age isn't exactly on his side now and we need to have someone ready to step into his shoes. 

• Like 1

Gregory has been solid all season but has been immense recently. Berahino was absolutely rubbish for the first half of the season. He played like he didn’t care at all. But the coaching staff must have worked exceptionally hard with him because he has looked like a totally different player in the second half of the season. 

I hope they both start in the two fixtures against Sunderland.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Both playing with smiles on their faces, it is an old cliche, but I do think it is true, especially with strikers. I really hope they can stay together with us and form an unstoppable partnership next season.

Spot on.

Watch how happy they both are when a colleague scores. Clearly both thoroughly enjoying their football right now.

And each match and goal is about to get even more enjoyable.