OUR STYLE OF PLAY: We have one !

11 minutes ago, Otley Owl said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, however it struck me a few weeks ago, watching a highlights package, how many goals in this league (and league 2) were being scored from set pieces - I don't think it's just us who concede a lot of goals from them. 

Perhaps teams in league 1 work on them more attacking wise, I've no idea. Would be interested if there were some stats somewhere, comparing league 1 / 2 to the Championship / Prem. Might just be me seeing something that isn't there!

Goals from set pieces this season:

Premier League: 193

Championship: 284

League One: 362

League Two: 306

When it comes to League One only, we're ranked joint 8th for goals scored from set pieces, which is decent enough, but 4th for goals conceded, which is really poor.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The signs were there in the first half of the season, but in fits and starts, really.

Our defensive injury crisis hamstrung our entire approach, though.

Once we added Storey and Dean, allowing us to shift Johnson back out wide, as well as having Luongo and Byers back fit, the parts have all started to come together on a much more consistent basis...

Screenshot_2022-05-01-08-49-22-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.d94d1b5d44c38a0758911fe59ad95b5b.jpg

It's defensive injury crisis that caused us to switch to 3-5-2, the 3 man midfield bis perfect for bannan and hunt / Johnson have thrived as wing backs.

Unfortunately we recruited in summer for 4-2-3-1, if we don't go up think we wil walk this league next year.

4 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

We have a way of playing. 

DM to his credit has created it. 

He may not be perfect, but he can’t be that bad to create a team that can do what they did yesterday. 

There’s more than one way to play football… but this is the new style… it’s like we’ve caught up with the times a bit. 

Classy and passing, finding space etc. 

Honestly been a joy to watch at Hillsborough since turn of year! Not enjoyed going much since CCs first season.

• Like 2

I think this style of play would thrive even more a level up. The interchanging of players all over the park makes it difficult for the opposition to keep track of the movement hence the amount of goals we’ve scored from all positions. 

• Like 1

Losing Dunkley and Iorfa to injury was a blessing in disguise , there is no way we could play with the fluidity we are seeing now with those two trying to play the ball about at the back . 
Storey has been a revelation since joining 

he has had a couple of lapses but he has been great 

After so long We finally seem to have formation We know how to play and style of football that is actually working. Even more than that We figured out type of player needed in each position to make it work.

• Like 1

We look vulnerable away from home and the bottom line is that we need to win more away games. I think we've been too cautious and instead, should take our game to the opposition and trust in our quality. We've seen that defences at this level struggle to deal with us, so we should not sit so deep in away games. 

53 home points and 32 away points shows exactly where we need to improve. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Animis said:

If this is the team and style Moore wanted from the start of the season

It probably was but a lot of the squad players were new faces and as mentioned earlier, there were signs of the play that was to come...

7 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

We actually play quite similar to the Blades squad that did so well. Attacking wing backs and overlapping centre halves.

Think a lot of us were annoyed at Moore persisting with 3-5-2 during our defensive injury crisis but his stubbornness is paying dividends now. We know that system inside out, and we can afford to play Palmer/Johnson out of position and things still work. 

This is why, regardless of promotion, I’d stick with Moore. He’s done exactly what was needed at this club and created a way of playing and an identity. This is the best football weve played since Carlos and we’ve done it on the cheap. 

I would like to see what Moore can do over a longer period of time. 

And with money to spend. 

I know it probably wouldn't be on the same level as the amount Carlos had to spend, but he's put this side together and still got change from ten bob. 

Moore doesn't seem like the type of manager to blow money on players for the sake of it, just looking back on this season, he's out a team together, started the season, seen the gaps and filled them in January. Helping us push on into the play offs. 

If we were to go up this season, and DC lets Moore do some sensible spending, in the right areas, and we could maybe start dreaming again. 

• Like 2