1 hour ago, 0114 said:

I was really against signing him and up until Doncaster away I thought I was still absolutely spot on. 

But he’s been brilliant since then, Moore pointed out he wanted him to work on his physicality due to the standard of Belgium football and I think it’s evident we are now seeing a better Berahino.

Him & Gregory also really compliment each other. 

Exactly my thoughts. Moore has worked wonders with him and obviously knows his potential.

According to the OS, Gregory scores a goal every 171.6 minutes. Berahino 172.6. One minute between them.

Gregory's conversion rate is 22.9%. Berahino's is 30.8%, although this needs some context as Gregory has had 70 shots (excluding blocked shots), 38 of which were on target and Berahino has had 26 shots (excluding blocked shots), 15 of which were on target. Gregory scores 42.1% of the time he shoots on target, Berahino 53.3% of the time.

Gregory has spent 2,745 minutes on the pitch against Berahino's 1,381, which is a fraction over half the time Gregory has been on the pitch.

Of course, there seems to have been some physical conditioning with Saido which certainly seems to be reaping rewards now, but even so it makes me wonder how many goals Berahino could have got, had he been given the same amount of game time.

All I know is I am glad he is here and I am sure he feels the same.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fudge27 said:

I'd give him a 2 year deal with option for a third that we can take up from our side 

Don’t want him getting too comfy though. Keep him on his toes and having to fight for a new deal. 

Don’t think there’ll be clubs queuing up to sign him to be honest.

Moore told us it was coming back in February, didn't he?

"With Saido, we feel that he started well when he first came but we realised that the level of football he’s been playing in the last couple of years is probably not of the physical level that it is here.

“What I can say now is that he is a far stronger, more robust player because he’s someone that, behind the scenes, has put in a lot of work.

“He’s far better when I look at him now compared to when he came in with the power and strength that he’s got now.

“In terms of him as a player that can score goals, I’m very happy with him and I’m sure that, should chances drop to him if he gets that game time, he’ll put the ball in the back of the net.”

• Like 2

On 30/04/2022 at 18:58, swfcGibbo said:

Despite his reputation he seems like a nice, down to earth and quiet bloke too.

I can't see him leaving if he's offered a deal. Grass isint always greener and he's found the home he wanted here.

To be honest though, he's having to build back up from a pretty rotten reputation previously and while he's done well in quite a few games this season, hasn't really taken the diviosn by storm. He's also seen first hand the grass isn't always greener. So hopefully hell be up for smashing this division next season even if we don't get up and really prove himself. 

On 30/04/2022 at 22:54, Maddogbob said:

I think this is the most goals he's scored in years, so he will be loving that.

He's very much on the comeback from oblivion, so credit to him.

Surely there’s a heavy metal album or tour called Comeback from Oblivion.

On 30/04/2022 at 21:01, ChapSmurf said:

According to the OS, Gregory scores a goal every 171.6 minutes. Berahino 172.6. One minute between them.

Gregory's conversion rate is 22.9%. Berahino's is 30.8%, although this needs some context as Gregory has had 70 shots (excluding blocked shots), 38 of which were on target and Berahino has had 26 shots (excluding blocked shots), 15 of which were on target. Gregory scores 42.1% of the time he shoots on target, Berahino 53.3% of the time.

Gregory has spent 2,745 minutes on the pitch against Berahino's 1,381, which is a fraction over half the time Gregory has been on the pitch.

Of course, there seems to have been some physical conditioning with Saido which certainly seems to be reaping rewards now, but even so it makes me wonder how many goals Berahino could have got, had he been given the same amount of game time.

All I know is I am glad he is here and I am sure he feels the same.

Furthermore it’s worth focussing on what they’ve been doing recently. Their form in the first few months of the season are completely irrelevant now.

Since their comebacks both score roughly every 100 minutes. To have one striker scoring at that rate is brilliant. To have a pair scoring at that rate is gold-dust.

• Like 1

To me it's a no brainer - forward with Premier league ability, finally scoring goals at an acceptable rate after being bought in from the cold and getting up to fitness - sign him up! But I think we've a year's option, so I'd expect him to be here next season.

The trick will be having him sign a longer deal before Christmas '22 - to stop the vultures circling next January.