1st Leg or 2nd leg at home - Stats

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

We were exchanging on another thread about this yesterday. 

You can see there is a general view that home advantage is better in the second leg simply from the play off structure. I suspect that most teams would indeed prefer to play away first but an interesting tweak would be to make it a choice. We are above them so we choose which way around.

A yet more interesting tweak would be that third place allows you to choose not only home/away ordering but which team you play. So if you come third you could choose to play, say, the fourth place team which has slipped from second and has run out of steam, rather than the sixth place team which has surged. Then fourth place chooses between the two remaining options.

Can see your point but crikey what a decision. If you had the choice who would you play ? Another thing to factor in - Wednesday v Sunderland would have been a full house at Wembley and a great atmosphere but IF we get there to play MK or Wycombe we might get more tickets than if we were playing Sunderland.

17 hours ago, marshy said:

If it went to extra time you have an extra 30 mins on your home turf in 2nd leg. I’d prefer that at home than away.

Or even penalties... I'd prefer to take mine against the Kop in S6 rather than the South Stand at the SoL.

10 hours ago, 1963owl said:

The tie wasn’t put out of brightons reach though. They absolutely battered us but we got a lucky equaliser that changed the game

That’s what I mean though. They were 2-0 down after first leg having to go for it second leg. Other team get a ‘lucky’ goal or one on the break and it’s more or less game over.

10 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

We were exchanging on another thread about this yesterday. 

You can see there is a general view that home advantage is better in the second leg simply from the play off structure. I suspect that most teams would indeed prefer to play away first but an interesting tweak would be to make it a choice. We are above them so we choose which way around.

A yet more interesting tweak would be that third place allows you to choose not only home/away ordering but which team you play. So if you come third you could choose to play, say, the fourth place team which has slipped from second and has run out of steam, rather than the sixth place team which has surged. Then fourth place chooses between the two remaining options.

I love these ideas!