So…. Sunderland away

I think this could play into our hands, both teams are so evenly matched its untrue. Have a feeling Sunderland may not know whether to stick or twist in the first leg especially given their cautious manager.

We will head into the home game knowing exactly what we need to do and we wont change our approach for the home leg. 

The only thing I'm wary of is making silly defensive mistakes under pressure at their place and giving ourselves too much to do at home.

Only way we dont win at their place is if we dont turn up 

So many away games weve looked uninterested and not up for the battle 

Play like we did against lincoln away we will get battered and the tie will be over 

Play like we did against mk Don's away and we will batter them 

We are clearly better than them because we finished above them 

Time to prove it 

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2

Total battle of two clubs that have lost their way, could be the start of the long road back for one of us.

If this had been the final , Wembley would be heaving.

Sunderland maintaining crowds of +30k in this league is outstanding, Wednesday not too far behind after 2 decades of mismanaged rubbish ?

Its simply a testament to both clubs followers.

Its going to be hard on whoever loses, hope to f.ook its them tho

Proper club Sunderland...Its gonna be tense!!!

• Like 1

Noticed a thread on their forum, they think we are poor, based mostly on the 5-0 pasting at the stadium of light. They say they fear no one , they are the form team! 

So I checked the table after that game at the turn of the year , they topped the league that night and were 12 points clear of us had a goal difference of plus 21  compared to our plus 4.

They had 49 points from 24 games so over 2 per game. We had 37 points sat 8th in the table at an average of 1.6 points per game. 

So no doubt they had a better first half of the season. Since then  however they have slipped from 1st to fifth, and picked up 35 points from 23 games at 1.6 per game , with a plus 4 goal difference . We have however picked up 48 points at an average of 2.0 per game and a positive goal difference of 24!  so in a season of 2 halves first to them second to us !

I think its too evenly matched teams, will Bannan be fit ? , will they be able to score enough goals with Broadbent out , Will Dean be back to stop Stewart. Will we make silly mistakes and give goals away.?

One things for sure both clubs really shouldnt be in the third tier of English football,( but are rightfully there due to bad management off  the field)   both sets of fans deserve much better. Whoever comes out on top , I really hope they go on to win at Wembley,  more deserving than Franchise FC or anti football shithouse Fc in my opinion.   

• Like 1

I think man for man we are stronger than them but football isn’t played on paper. It will be a tough game over both legs and Sunderland like us have a great support.

Whoever wins this I hope goes on to win promotion to the Championship. Two proper football clubs who shouldn’t be in League 1.

The 0-5 at theirs needs context.

We were depleted due to Covid and injuries.

Also, we hadn't played for weeks while Sunderland were still rolling, playing games and were fully up to speed.

As others have said, Rotherham absolutely dominated them.

We'll do the same so long as we play our natural game and play positively. Just need to finish our chances which is looking likely with Gregory and Berhainho running hot right now.

The only way we mess this up is by trying to defend and let them attack.

It never works for us. We have too much attacking talent and defending from the front is what we do best.

Smash our way to a 3 or 4 goal lead like we are more than capable of and get them demoralised as early as possible.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Noticed a thread on their forum, they think we are poor, based mostly on the 5-0 pasting at the stadium of light. They say they fear no one , they are the form team! 

So I checked the table after that game at the turn of the year , they topped the league that night and were 12 points clear of us had a goal difference of plus 21  compared to our plus 4.

They had 49 points from 24 games so over 2 per game. We had 37 points sat 8th in the table at an average of 1.6 points per game. 

So no doubt they had a better first half of the season. Since then  however they have slipped from 1st to fifth, and picked up 35 points from 23 games at 1.6 per game , with a plus 4 goal difference . We have however picked up 48 points at an average of 2.0 per game and a positive goal difference of 24!  so in a season of 2 halves first to them second to us !

I think its too evenly matched teams, will Bannan be fit ? , will they be able to score enough goals with Broadbent out , Will Dean be back to stop Stewart. Will we make silly mistakes and give goals away.?

One things for sure both clubs really shouldnt be in the third tier of English football,( but are rightfully there due to bad management off  the field)   both sets of fans deserve much better. Whoever comes out on top , I really hope they go on to win at Wembley,  more deserving than Franchise FC or anti football shithouse Fc in my opinion.   

Rumours they have Stewart injured as well mate

I think it’s 50/50 this 

We can’t really take the previous games into account as they had a different manager then.

I was talking to one of their fans at Christmas and he wasn’t really convinced by Alex Neil which surprised me as I think he’s a brilliant manager 

38 minutes ago, vulva said:

Sure it’s been mentioned but we were poor at their place. But they were even worse at our place. Possibly the worst team to play at Hillsborough all season. 

Your right but I’m sure they had 2/3 good chances before we scored and they capitulated , bit like us at there’s we actually started on the front foot that night before it went ******** up. I think this ties 50/50 slightly better attack for us hopefully see us through 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

Think people are getting a bit cocky. We’re poor away from home. Sunderland are a good team. We could easily find ourselves in a situation where we’ve got an uphill task going into the home leg

Agree it won't be easy. But we're not that poor away from home. We've got the 7th best record in the division, 1 point less than Sunderland themselves. And we'd probably have an even better record if not for losing two away games at Sunderland and Shrewsbury when we were injury/Covid-hit. Plus we could have easily got something in 3 of our 5 other defeats (v Morecambe, Oxford and Wycombe). Overall, us and Sunderland have very similar home and away records:

Home

Sheffield Wednesday 23 16 5 2 48 18 30 53

Sunderland                  23 16 3 4 49 19 30 51

Away

Sunderland                  23  8  9 6 30 34  -4 33

Sheffield Wednesday 23  8  8 7 30 32 -2  32