Jump to content

Gregory's strike partner


Recommended Posts

Gregory has proved a vital signing and we wouldn't be near the playoffs without him.

But we've never managed to find a reliable partner for him. Kamberi looked decent at first, then later Berahino had a spell but now fizzled out.

For me Pats just ain't good enough, he showed on Tuesday that he isn't a striker- he was astoundingly anonymous despite all the play we had.

Windass came on the last part of the game and looked ok- should be the answer but can he start on Saturday? If not, probably go with Saido and hope he has a day he's firing?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me I would start Saido alongside him. Windass on at half time if need be.

I reckon a full house will be just the sort of game where both strikers will be up for it, if the service into them is good enough they will score.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Windass isn't fit enough to start I would go with Paterson. He makes some good runs that often go unnoticed, he is strong, has scored 6 goals and 3 assists. puts himself about. He would take players away from Gregory, creating spaces. He is a lot better than we give him credit for.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

If Windass isn't fit enough to start I would go with Paterson. He makes some good runs that often go unnoticed, he is strong, has scored 6 goals and 3 assists. puts himself about. He would take players away from Gregory, creating spaces. He is a lot better than we give him credit for.

He’s just too clumsy on the ball for me. Kamberi works extremely hard and pulls the defenders all over the place with his chasing around 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Gregory has proved a vital signing and we wouldn't be near the playoffs without him.

But we've never managed to find a reliable partner for him. Kamberi looked decent at first, then later Berahino had a spell but now fizzled out.

For me Pats just ain't good enough, he showed on Tuesday that he isn't a striker- he was astoundingly anonymous despite all the play we had.

Windass came on the last part of the game and looked ok- should be the answer but can he start on Saturday? If not, probably go with Saido and hope he has a day he's firing?

I quite like the suggestion by somebody on OT  that Gregory up  front alone supported by bazza and fizz playing just behind him rather than a front 2 and forward plying midfielder... mesen

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At Hillsborough I’d start berahino with him 

 

I think introducing windass later on will be best option 

 

I never got to see fleetwood game did windass look sharp?

 

id like to think come half time we look like securing those playoffs then we can get some decent minutes into windass either at halftime or earlier than let’s say the usual 60-80 minutes mark 

 

Get him on and give him a good 30-45 minutes 

 

That said we might be looking a bit light up top and need more battle that’s Paterson for me 

 

kamberi and sow can go on an early holiday for me 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paterson is a good player to have in the middle, generally making a nuisance of himself.

 

Berahino is brilliant on his day, just don't know which day.

 

Kamberi's movement and first touch is great, then he goes all 'cat on a hot tin roof' and usually messes it up.

 

Windass seemed very much off the pace on Tuesday, I think it's too soon, maybe second half only, get him ready for the playoffs, fingers crossed.

 

NML, not a striker.

 

If we can't have two Gregorys, which apparently we can't, then I'd go for Berahino - but 45 minutes max if he's left his shooting boots at home, then bring on Windass.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Paterson is a good player to have in the middle, generally making a nuisance of himself.

 

Berahino is brilliant on his day, just don't know which day.

 

Kamberi's movement and first touch is great, then he goes all 'cat on a hot tin roof' and usually messes it up.

 

Windass seemed very much off the pace on Tuesday, I think it's too soon, maybe second half only, get him ready for the playoffs, fingers crossed.

 

NML, not a striker.

 

If we can't have two Gregorys, which apparently we can't, then I'd go for Berahino - but 45 minutes max if he's left his shooting boots at home, then bring on Windass.

I think you should keep pushing the 2 x Gregory point.

 

Lets see what can be done.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An hour of Paterson roughing them up before half hour of Windass isn’t the worst idea in the world.

 

Still prefer Berahino & Gregory though. Feel like you’ve always got a chance of sniffing a goal with them both on. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Windass isn’t fit to start it’s a coin throw between Berahino and Kamberi for me. I’d lean more towards the former but I think Kamberi’s been under-utilised this season. He offers similar qualities as Patterson (up front) but with more goal threat.

I do really like Patterson, but it hasn’t been going for him lately.

 

All in all I don’t think we’d be going wrong by picking any of them to partner Gregory, it comes down to what Moore has been seeing in training I’d say.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Gregory has proved a vital signing and we wouldn't be near the playoffs without him.

But we've never managed to find a reliable partner for him. Kamberi looked decent at first, then later Berahino had a spell but now fizzled out.

For me Pats just ain't good enough, he showed on Tuesday that he isn't a striker- he was astoundingly anonymous despite all the play we had.

Windass came on the last part of the game and looked ok- should be the answer but can he start on Saturday? If not, probably go with Saido and hope he has a day he's firing?

I would go Gregory and Berahino personally, I don’t think Windass will be fit enough to start. 
 

It’s an area we need to look at for next season in my opinion.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be Paterson or NML for me 

It depends how we want to play it 

if we want to go all out from the off 

start NML , he just runs at players and gets into great positions. 
 

Ok he has not been great in front of goal but that will change 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Byers has been abit off the boil recently , would be half tempted to try 343 with nml and windass either side of Gregory seeing as none of our other strikers have showed any consistency , middle four of Johnson, bannan, luongo and hunt. Realise having Byers/bash and luongo both in there gives bannan more freedom further up the field but that 343 would provide a very potent attack force. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...