This Banana thing

12 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Did you read the bit about bananas being thrown at black players ? Pretty racist that pal, so the symbolism is 100% there. 

if you don’t remember Imre Varadi you under no circumstances take anything other than a duck 

I did read that, and as football fan in the late 80s, I saw it on TV. Not good, very racist and gladly we've moved on as a species since then.

But what's an inflatable banana being tossed around a joyous kop got to do with throwing real bananas at players, in an act of racism? See my point?

The object might be the same, but the intent is worlds apart. Monkey gestures towards black players (or black people in general) is abhorrent.

I've no idea about Imre Varadi's off field behaviour. Like I said, I am just old enough to know he played for us and I've probably seen him play in the blue and white a few times. But yet you seem to want to drag absolutely every negative thing in to this thread, to back up your very weak argument.

Racism is abhorrent. All forms of discrimination are. Inflatable bananas are not connected to discrimination in any way, shape or form. You are trying to connect two things that have never before been connected.

I applaud you for standing up against racism. You've got my support on that 100%. But an inflatable object that just so happens to be a fruit it, well, it's a million miles off I'm afraid.

• Like 2

While being well aware of the chequered history of racist football fans and actual bananas, I don't see the link between the inflatables and what used to happen.

Intent means a lot. I think Darren Moore has been a tonic since he came to Hillsborough and I don't think a Kop full of banana inflatables would be taken as racism by anyone other than those looking for it. I won't be taking one, mind. I think Moore has enough love from most of us that the silliness would be seen for what it actually is.

Getting all hysterical about it will only fire up those who disagree, people don't like being lectured to.

Loving the great sh1tposting in the thread though.

lol

As you were, UTO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Right, I’ve now just destroyed my DVD collection of the Banana Splits. There’s shattered plastic all over the patio, but I don’t care. 

At least I feel like I’m doing my bit.

Cheers mate. That actually made me belly laugh.

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
5 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I did read that, and as football fan in the late 80s, I saw it on TV. Not good, very racist and gladly we've moved on as a species since then.

But what's an inflatable banana being tossed around a joyous kop got to do with throwing real bananas at players, in an act of racism? See my point?

The object might be the same, but the intent is worlds apart. Monkey gestures towards black players (or black people in general) is abhorrent.

I've no idea about Imre Varadi's off field behaviour. Like I said, I am just old enough to know he played for us and I've probably seen him play in the blue and white a few times. But yet you seem to want to drag absolutely every negative thing in to this thread, to back up your very weak argument.

Racism is abhorrent. All forms of discrimination are. Inflatable bananas are not connected to discrimination in any way, shape or form. You are trying to connect two things that have never before been connected.

I applaud you for standing up against racism. You've got my support on that 100%. But an inflatable object that just so happens to be a fruit it, well, it's a million miles off I'm afraid.

Did you read the bit about symbolism, that’s why the blow banana is probably not the right thing to take.

I got Imre Varadi mixed up with Lee Chapman, as far as I know he’s a good man, I don’t know much about him to be honest, before my time and that was a mistake which I’m extremely sorry about.

1 minute ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Did you read the bit about symbolism, that’s why the blow banana is probably not the right thing to take.

I got Imre Varadi mixed up with Lee Chapman, as far as I know he’s a good man, I don’t know much about him to be honest, before my time and that was a mistake which I’m extremely sorry about.

Did you read the bit about connecting two things that aren't actually connected? Did you read the bit about you are making something out of nothing? Did you read the bit about that fact that you are wrong?

This thread's gone so far out of hand it's done my head in

I'm proper stressssed out now

It's really stressed me out

I'm off to listen to some music to take my mind off it

Something to stop me stressing about this thread

Something nice and chilled and relaxing

Probably some Velvet Underground or summat

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

This thread's gone so far out of hand it's done my head in

I'm off to listen to some music to take my mind off it

Something to stop me stressing about this thread

Something nice and chilled and relaxing

Probably some Velvet Underground or summat

How about this.....

• Haha 4

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Did you read the bit about connecting two things that aren't actually connected? Did you read the bit about you are making something out of nothing? Did you read the bit about that fact that you are wrong?

How can a blow up banana not be connected to a banana? 

28 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

In my opinion, people who take blow up bananas to a football match in 2022 are doing more to cause racism. I think what I’m doing, by not backing down on my opinion against a group of lads who don’t agree with me is the right thing to do in this instance. 
I get that you disagree but I’m not going to stop banging this drum because I believe in what I’m saying and I can back it up with a reasonable amount of intelligence. I’m not just saying don’t take bananas because it’s racist and not backing it up with good reasons is it.

I’m explain why I thing people should think again, hopefully some might consider what I’m saying and think again.

if I stop 1 person taking a blow up banana on Saturday all this was worth it. Believe me , tonight’s been much tougher  for me than you and I’m not resorting to insults. 

There’s so much wrong with what you’ve just said. If I can say one thing jack you’ve been different buddy and fair play to you for banging that drum. 

but maybe for future reference don’t assume the way you personally perceive things Is a reflection on what ever bodies motives are because tonight you couldn’t have got it more wrong 

it might be pretty hard to call if you got through to that one person who hasn’t taken his banana, though if you happen to look up and see hillsborough with over 34,000 fans singing there team along amongst a sea of inflatables to think. 

There’s one less racist b£&stard in here I can tell by the number of bananas flying about try not to get too disheartened by the sheer racism on show, try and take that as a personal win there us one less offensive person in the world and watch on with pride 

you never know you might even enjoy the amotsphere and occasion with the rest of us racists 

1 minute ago, DoesJackHunt said:

How can a blow up banana not be connected to a banana? 

I think the question you should be asking yourself is, how can an inflatable banana used to symbolise fun, be in anyway connected to the throwing of real bananas at black players for racist reasons, during the late 1980s?

I've said my piece now, and I am bored of this dance. The floor is all yours my friend.

• Thanks 1