Does anyone remember the rattle?

Yep, I had one of them… superb, sounded like you were being mugged by a gang of rattle snakes.

We had some American friends come to stay and they bought all sorts of noisy anti social sh*t over with them including a tin bat , exactly the same size as a table tennis bat . Attached to each side was a small piece of metal on an five inch long bendy spring. When you waved it back and forth the two pieces of metal on the springs would clatter into the hollow tin bat and make the noise from hell.

Whenever I used it someone standing within ten feet of me would invariably threaten to stick it up my ar$e. As I was only 7 I took those threats quite seriously and stopped using it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Grew up when these were all the rage until I saw a kid with blood all over his face totally accidentaldownload.jpeg.c0e7ba3ef72412fadfed2dfc68a2494c.jpeg

Still got one - me brother made it in the 70's in Woodwork at Westfield School !

My dad took me to Bramall Lane once,don't know why, and all I recall is this united fan who was eating (I kid you not) a raw onion, he had a big rattle and every boby next to him used to stand well back, and as he shouted "united" he literally spat all bits of onion on every body else, true story

6 hours ago, mogbad said:

I also made one in woodwork at Westfield School, round about 66/67 time. In the woodwork classroom next to the playground at the old Lower School if my memory serves me correctly.

Aye that’s the one… JJ Thompson was our teacher at the time. Also belted a tennis ball through one of the small panes of glass in the wooderk room…playground footie. Used to love those classrooms in the summer when both sides of the room had French doors right down each side…would have been great in Covid🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

My dad took me to Bramall Lane once,don't know why, and all I recall is this united fan who was eating (I kid you not) a raw onion, he had a big rattle and every boby next to him used to stand well back, and as he shouted "united" he literally spat all bits of onion on every body else, true story

That is soooo Unitedite! Filthy unhygienic scrotes.

7 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

Probably the most successful thing I ever made in woodwork at school. Don't know what happened to it.

I have to say…and I am boasting here…my sea grass stool made with 8…yes 8, mortise and tenon joints in the 2nd year ( year 8 ) is still upstairs in a bedroom and is rock solid at the age of 54!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sternlad said:

I have to say…and I am boasting here…my sea grass stool made with 8…yes 8, mortise and tenon joints in the 2nd year ( year 8 ) is still upstairs in a bedroom and is rock solid at the age of 54!

Actually it’s 16 mortise and tenon joints…can’t count! 

3 hours ago, S25OWL said:

Still got one - me brother made it in the 70's in Woodwork at Westfield School !

Ha! Another one from Westfield…the days before national curriculum when rattles and seagrass stools were done every year for decades.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Whitecap Owl said:

I think I have a Wednesday one in a box in the crawlspace...  will have to go dig it out..

Rattles along with Vuvazelas and air horns are banned at VWFC games... along with any of those John 17 signs....  

Edit John 3:16 (been a while since I saw one)... LOL