Leppings Lane Lower now open to home fans

15 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

I actually wasn’t going to go, due to not enjoying going alone, however never sat on Lepp before so fancied the seat to witness a full Hillsborough. I expect the view to be poor!

who cares if we have 1k there that haven’t been all season. Varying reasons people don’t go. Money, time, or me, being without someone to go with regularly.

some of us part timers were part timers when we were poo! We’re all fans, some of us are “uber” fans without even going. Being able to spend £550 a season doesn’t make you an uber fan.

Mate I’m in the same boat! Never had a season ticket but supported since the early 90s (I’m 37), and as I’m a single dad can’t really justify one now. Most of my mates are Chesterfield supporters so rarely have anyone to go to, would take my daughter but she’s only 7 and it’s not my weekend with her. I’ve managed 4 games this season, which is ok I think. Listen to every match I don’t go to as well.

This makes me a plastic, or part time fan. That’s fine by me. I’ll experience the most incredible atmosphere at one of the most traditional stadiums in the country. If some melt wants to waste their time moaning about it I’ll let them.

I go to Glastonbury almost every year and I’ve met plenty of “vets” who think they are more entitled because they got flooded in 2005. In their eyes I’m still part time because I started in 2007!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, UpGrahamHydesSleeve said:

Mate I’m in the same boat! Never had a season ticket but supported since the early 90s (I’m 37), and as I’m a single dad can’t really justify one now. Most of my mates are Chesterfield supporters so rarely have anyone to go to, would take my daughter but she’s only 7 and it’s not my weekend with her. I’ve managed 4 games this season, which is ok I think. Listen to every match I don’t go to as well.

This makes me a plastic, or part time fan. That’s fine by me. I’ll experience the most incredible atmosphere at one of the most traditional stadiums in the country. If some melt wants to waste their time moaning about it I’ll let them.

I go to Glastonbury almost every year and I’ve met plenty of “vets” who think they are more entitled because they got flooded in 2005. In their eyes I’m still part time because I started in 2007!

I would gladly buy you a beer and talk Wednesday have a great day

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, UpGrahamHydesSleeve said:

I'm similar.  This will be my first game this year,  in fact first in 2 years,  lucky to manage a game a year and didn't attend my first until i was well into my 30s.

If love to go each week but i manage a girls football team,  train for mtb marathons all fitting round 3 kids.

Plus on top i cannot really afford it.

Would i love to be there every week,  if course i would but i can't. 

That doesn't mean i don't enjoy the winds or hate the losses any less than others. 

In fact i would say for those of us that rarely get a chance to go we probably have more Emotion for a game than someone who goes every week because we have had to wait longer to go

• Like 4
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, S2 OWLS said:

Although I often read Owlstalk and think it is a great platform to update me on all things Wednesday the club I have followed for 55 years it is not often I post a comment but feel I need to regards the total over reaction to the part time/ plastic fans debate.

I am a child of the seventies so my introduction to the team I love truly started at the bottom. As a teenager late seventies through the eighties I had season tickets when I could afford it and went all over with them. I can remember mid week night matches to Cardiff and Oxford, Oxford only 2 coaches I was there. As the years went on marriage kids etc something had to give but glued to radio watching tv when possible, the passion never has or never will diminish. As I have now turned 60 I pick and chose my matches I have been to say half a dozen home matches this season and went to Wigan this season as I want to get to 80 grounds watching Wednesday Wigan was the 79th.

I guess what I am saying is be careful who you call a part time supporter I will be at the game Saturday as I was when we beat Southend to avoid the 4th division, Blackburn away to go up, Cardiff away to go up.

Peoples situations change one thing that doesn't is the passion for your team and your need to be part of it.

Well said (and welcome - and thank you for posting!)

Owlstalk Shop

portsmouth asked swfc for another 1000 tickets last friday they went on general sale on monday they have only shifted 500 . if we didnt bother could we have been allowed another 1000 in lower west? with portsmouth seated further back?

39 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Wonder how many we could have actually sold ? 40k? 45k? 

No chance , if it was a case of win and we are promoted maybe but more like 35k I reckon , think most people that want to go will have got a ticket for Saturday.

10 minutes ago, Watto said:

No chance , if it was a case of win and we are promoted maybe but more like 35k I reckon , think most people that want to go will have got a ticket for Saturday.

The 1000 went ridiculously quick tbf though .  I think with walk ups we could have sold in and around 40k personally . 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 08:28, Sham67 said:

Don’t want to be pedantic.  We drew with Ipswich and had already qualified the week before.

I’m not saying we needed to win that to get there and BTW we drew 1–1 with Palace the week before Bright scored for them which meant we couldn’t win the league 

Remember the days of the 80’s when we could regularly get 45k+ for big games v Man U, Liverpool or in the FA Cup

Away element was probably 10k+ of that but shows our core support has consistently been 30-35k when there is something to play for 

Guest Mcguigan
5 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Remember the days of the 80’s when we could regularly get 45k+ for big games v Man U, Liverpool or in the FA Cup

Away element was probably 10k+ of that but shows our core support has consistently been 30-35k when there is something to play for 

Think you’re over estimating that a tad mate. 

We had 8 seasons of PL football with plenty to play for and never averaged over 29k including away support.

Family members and mates who fancy a game once or twice a season doesn’t represent a core support.

17 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

i was in hillsborough when they were 50000 against liverpool in 1985, coventry 1986/87 quarter finals 49000 and that was before grandstand was built so would have been 53000 .  the liverpool game though was crazy , me and my m8 got in the ground but left at 230pm as it was extremely dangerous towards the front , about 300 of  us stormed to the players entrance and demanded to speak to ******** chester the guy who was in charge of the day to day stuff , my memories of that game were a crush and hearing some good music booming out before heading home ,to a game i went to but never saw.  in those days you were caged in like animals 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Think you’re over estimating that a tad mate. 

We had 8 seasons of PL football with plenty to play for and never averaged over 29k including away support.

Family members and mates who fancy a game once or twice a season doesn’t represent a core support.

we were in top flight from 1984 till 1989 then 1990 till 2000 ,16 seasons double 8.  and no he aint dreaming i can assure you those crowds happened . look it up 1985 v liverpool at home , king love and pride was no1 that week. 

13 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i was in hillsborough when they were 50000 against liverpool in 1985, coventry 1986/87 quarter finals 49000 and that was before grandstand was built so would have been 53000 .  the liverpool game though was crazy , me and my m8 got in the ground but left at 230pm as it was extremely dangerous towards the front , about 300 of  us stormed to the players entrance and demanded to speak to ******** chester the guy who was in charge of the day to day stuff , my memories of that game were a crush and hearing some good music booming out before heading home ,to a game i went to but never saw.  in those days you were caged in like animals 

I was at the front of the kop, there were just over 48,000 there, Brian Marwood scored in first half, at  half time fans were pi....ng at the wall at side of Kop it was that packed, very scary indeed, Mark Lawrenson got equaliser on about 85 86 minutes I think, ended 1-1

Scary day.

• Like 1