Players for next season.

I’m terms of what we need then definitely 

- A keeper - suspect BPF won’t return, Wildsmith will be off and not sure Dawson is good enough for League (definitely not if we’re in Championship)

- At least a couple of centre backs - Iorfa is the only one contracted I believe and he’s very injury prone. Can see us re-signing Hutch and Brennan but we’ll need at least two more from outside. 
- At least one wing back, as our current first choices (Johnson, Hunt, NML) are all 30+
- A younger centre forward to compete with Gregory 

Anything else will largely depend on who comes and goes and what division we’re in but they all look essential signings to me regardless 

As for who we sign - no idea! Although I know Pompey fans really rate Raggett and Hirst is definitely the type of player I’d go for if you ignore the history… and im sure he’s out of contract 

Edited by paulrs

Id deffo take a punt on Stockton,bags of goals in a very poor side, what could he do in a good side that creates chances?

Hel cost a pittance maybe 500K with a large chunk of that in add ons, weve gambled far higher on dud strikers in the recent past so id thumbs that one up!

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2022 at 21:02, fudge27 said:

I'd be looking at Camara from Plymouth and Grant from Plymouth as CM and WB options respectively. 

Gibson, Storey and Dean on permanents

New GK, with Dawson as number 2

2 New CFs

Get shut of Paterson, Dunkley, Wildsmith, BPF, Kamberi, Sow, Shodipo

Yes really like camera. Not sure how old he is

So let’s say we don’t go up. Not too many changes.

Well need a new keeper but I’d keep Gibson and Dean aswell as Hutch Brennan and Palmer. 

Luongo will also go so we need a new defensive midfielder. 

Up front Gregory and Windass keep and get rid of rest. 

On 28/04/2022 at 13:39, PTLiam said:

I'm sure people said the same about a certain Jamie Vardy.

Vardy won the premier league had a number of england caps was PFA player of the year, and golden boot winner at 28/29. Its a bit different. 

Hed also scored goals all his career at every level he played. Stockton hasnt 

On 30/04/2022 at 23:58, owl84 said:

Vardy won the premier league had a number of england caps was PFA player of the year, and golden boot winner at 28/29. Its a bit different. 

Hed also scored goals all his career at every level he played. Stockton hasnt 

And Ivan Toney had an awfull record at various clubs around the country, untill he moved to posh, 30 odd goals in 150 games, but he got his head down and worked, maybe CS has done just that

Bit too early to say yet seeing as we don’t know what division we are in and if we have much money to spend. 

I’m not one of those that says Storey is a most. He’s been good for us but let’s be honest. nobody had heard of him before he signed on loan. There will be plenty of players out there.

Positions for me is a GK, LCB and CF. We could also do with young competition for the wing back roles.

I also watched a young lad today who was excellent at Newport on loan from Aston called Finn Aziz. Was recently voted L2 young player of the season and was excellent. If we are in L- next season I’d ask Villa if we can have him.

On 27/04/2022 at 16:02, fudge27 said:

I'd be looking at Camara from Plymouth and Grant from Plymouth as CM and WB options respectively. 

This. Panutche Camara has been one of the best players we've played against this season. Would be worth checking on his availability, especially if we can't keep Luongo.

On 29/04/2022 at 09:48, Beauchief Owl said:

I thought Alfie May looked good when he played at Hillsborough and he's scored well into double figures this campaign. Besides anybody who can score four goals away to Wycombe has got to be worth considering. I also think he is out of contract this summer.

Agreed, if we don’t go up then players like Alfie May, Stockton and Ironside are potentially ones to monitor.  Also Dembele on a loan from Bournemouth.  

It’s going to be depressing rebuilding for another league 1 campaign but need to make some positive moves and go into the season as serious title contenders this time round from the offset