Players for next season.

Cole Stockton at Morecambe will get snapped up by somebody  - why not us whether we go up or not 

If we do go up the Pompey keeper on loan from Man City who will probably have a blinder on Saturday

City looking for Championship loan for him next season

need 4 proper strikers who can push and compete for a starting spot, Gregory, Windass, need 2 more in ,not sure can depend on Bera

One good thing DJ did say, if you got one who's 28, you need another at 22 and so on to 'build' ! 

We need to start thinking longer term with our transfer strategy this summer. One or two experienced signings with a couple of youthful loans in the right positions.

We have an aging squad and I'd like to see us bring in a couple of youthful wingbacks if possible. NML, Johnson and Hunt have been great but we need to prepare for what comes next. 

We have Adeniran and FDB who'll hopefully become regulars and Byers still has a few years left in him too.

Should we fail to go up I'd imagine Luongo will be off so I can't comment on that until the season is over. 

I like the thought with TJJ it's just unfortunate we got unlucky with his injury. Keep that mindset and try and get another young striker with a point to prove. 

As others have already said, a keeper is a must. BPF will likely stay at Burnley should they go down and we'd need to replace him. 

I know that's all a big ask and we may have to prioritise based on money and who is available but I'd say essential signings would be a keeper, a CB and a striker for next season at the very least. 

• Like 1

I'd be looking at Camara from Plymouth and Grant from Plymouth as CM and WB options respectively. 

Gibson, Storey and Dean on permanents

New GK, with Dawson as number 2

2 New CFs

Get shut of Paterson, Dunkley, Wildsmith, BPF, Kamberi, Sow, Shodipo

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Django said:

I wonder what DC’s plans are now the embargo has been fully lifted

Will he spend or is he’s going all Milan Mandaric? 

We will be spending ! #uto 

If we do get promoted and have money 

We simply have to invest in younger and fitter  players 

Our squad looks shattered after 80 minutes in the league one ,we'd get destroyed in the championship 

Unpopular opinion but if we start the season with Paterson, Hutchinson,dunkley and windass anywhere near a first team starter than we will straight back down 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Django said:

I wonder what DC’s plans are now the embargo has been fully lifted

Will he spend or is he’s going all Milan Mandaric? 

I suspect it will be the latter rather than the former.

• Like 1

Irrespective of what division we are in, I'd be looking to try and get the average age of the squad down a bit. 

Not saying we sign a bunch of unproven youngsters, but perhaps be looking for players in that sort of 23 to 27 age bracket. 

Just feel we've got one too many first team regulars at present who are in or around (or over) 30 and that will need addressing at some point. 

A younger, more nimble striker up top to perhaps partner Gregory would be a start. 

9 hours ago, Luke said:

If we do get promoted and have money 

We simply have to invest in younger and fitter  players 

Our squad looks shattered after 80 minutes in the league one ,we'd get destroyed in the championship 

Unpopular opinion but if we start the season with Paterson, Hutchinson,dunkley and windass anywhere near a first team starter than we will straight back down 

I don't disagree with this. 

Feels like we've got a team built for the moment, rather than the long-term if that makes sense. 

Their experience and knowhow has been a big plus this season in many ways, but I think the Championship could/likely would be a bit too much of a step up for some of them, certainly as regulars. 

In terms of contracted players, who play regularly, the only one who is 25 or under is Byers? BPF and Storey are the other two, but they are both on loan. FDB yet to really nail down a place. Everyone else is in or around 30. 

Edited by SiJ

I’d be wary about going in for Cole Stockton or Alfie May.

Both 28 and have never seen this sort of form before at this level. Could just be a purple patch and ‘right team right manager’.

Vadaine Oliver last season also had a weird season where he couldn’t stop scoring and was largely the reason Gillingham did well as they were crap otherwise. Couldn’t replicate this season and they’re now going down.

Of course we’re not a team that can sign these tried and tested goal machines and any signing we make will have a risk element. I’d rather take a risk on someone younger though. 

Hirst would be my top striker target.

• Like 1