Wrong Tactics (All Season )

Guest DoesJackHunt
15 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

C'mon Neil you know what our fan base is like.We could have 182 points and some numpties would still be calling for the manager's head.

In truth, I've never known criticism like it for a manager having a good season (miraculous if you look at our starting point 12 months ago), a manager who has had to build the entire side from scratch, with horrific luck on injuries yet still gets people calling for his head!

I'll be honest (and I know this is going to be controversial), but I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's more than a touch of racism at the root of the criticism?

got to be in my opinion. nothing else really makes sense. 

18 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

C'mon Neil you know what our fan base is like.We could have 182 points and some numpties would still be calling for the manager's head.

In truth, I've never known criticism like it for a manager having a good season (miraculous if you look at our starting point 12 months ago), a manager who has had to build the entire side from scratch, with horrific luck on injuries yet still gets people calling for his head!

I'll be honest (and I know this is going to be controversial), but I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's more than a touch of racism at the root of the criticism?

To be fair the vast majority of criticism is coming from about 6-8 very vocal posters.

I think most of the fanbase are fully behind Moore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoesJackHunt said:

got to be in my opinion. nothing else really makes sense. 

Also, take into account who is consistently our most criticised player?

Liam Palmer, an absolute stalwart over the last 12 years who has now made almost 350 appearances for the club, more than any other player at Hillsborough since Kevin Pressman. Players simply don't make that number of appearances (especially under 10 or more different managers) unless they are up to the job. Palmer has always been up to the job and always puts a shift in. He's not spectacular, but he is steady and he makes no more mistakes than any of our other players, yet he is consistently the target of the boo-boys. Why, could it be the colour of his skin?

Some of our fans really are an absolute disgrace but sadly, every single club has them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

It's the defending.

At this level you keep it simple; you kick it, you head it, you clear your lines, you get it as far away from your area as you can.

You Rob Jones it.

It's basic, safety-first defending, but it's effective.

And so many teams in the Third rely on goals from set pieces, that you have to be able to defend them.

That we're still having problems in this regard in the penultimate match of the season cannot be put down to growing pains.

Of course, worth noting that at least Wigan, MK Dons and Wednesday - IE 3 of the top 4 - literally do not play like this and play out from the back.

On the other hand, Gillingham do, Doncaster do, Crewe do etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Because the individuals settled quicker, it’s not an exact science is it ?

Sometimes us fans have to show a bit of patience.

also, did anyone overhaul the squad like we did. I don’t know the numbers of signings the other clubs in the top 7 made.

I would like to see the stats on this if anyone’s got them.

How many people left and new signings were made for each of the top 7 clubs,

including us, in last summers transfer window ? 

We had a thread on 'squad churn' back in September...

7 hours ago, John Howard said:

When we attacked/went at Fleetwood in the first 15 mins we could/should have been 3.0 up (Fleetwood Match commentators words) .

In the second half when we again went at them /attacked we were all over them (same Commentator).

This season we have played lovely,flowing,passing football and our opposition have put men behind the ball and waited for us to .. launch the ball into a

crowded area (crowded by defenders).

Problem with soooo many passes is if one goes wrong ,or intercepted,or lack of concentration then we are open to the counter attack . How many times this season have we lost/drawn matches and the opposition have had only  3/2/1 chances .

When we go ahead we...defend and PANIC  and kick the ball anywhere and bring Dunc on to head the ball anywhere .

Please don't mention that we are in the Play Offs (hopefully) ...with this squad and a more attacking style we would have been Champions weeks ago .

Adopt a more attacking tactic and we shall win the Play Offs 

Agree but trouble is DM cant stop changing things even when they are going right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jp1981 said:

If we do manage to get promoted this season, I would probably look at replacing Moore. 

Strong contender for best post of the year here lol

"If we get promoted, first things first, let's fire the manager".  Unbelievable stuff.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

We’ve battered so many teams and ended up drawing or narrowly losing but I don’t think the problem has been tactical at all, we’ve just been wildly inconsistent in front of goal and let in a few daft ones like all teams do.

Tighten up a fraction at both ends and we’d have romped it. Fine margins.

DM has done great IMO - again, I keep saying it, yes we’ve a very strong squad now but just look at the team we came down with a year ago. Could barely field a starting XI and weren’t allowed to buy anyone else. Quite miraculous really, in that context. 

22 shots but only 6 on target last night backs up your theory of inconsistency in front of the goal.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fitz44 said:

Any chance of having a separate section for the endless barrage of boringly negative posts? Then it would be easier for me not to read them. Thanks in advance

Only if we have one for the endless ‘clapping’ posts 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parajack said:

I'm with you wholeheartedly on this

You're bang on - supporting the manager and team in a week where we could end up in the playoffs after a sold out home game at Hillsborough is an horrific offence and needs punishing

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Can I just at this point stick my nose into the conversation again and just ask where all the managers are that have been called for, screamed for and demanded to come here by Wednesday fans over the last 5 years?

Most have been failures, sacked, disappeared and not been the managers that our fans have thought/told us they are

Wednesday fans have literally the worst track record when it comes to identifying who should and shouldn't be our manager

Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of us weren't excited when Steve Cooper was linked to us a few seasons ago. Hmmmm

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We had a thread on 'squad churn' back in September...

Thanks 

46 minutes ago, parajack said:

These threads always go the same. It's a forum and people are going to have different opinions. The debate is always 'we don't have the best squad, it was a new squad (which only affected SWFC and no other team), having more resources than most of the division is irrelevant, we're lucky to be aiming for the play offs so therefore DM has done a great job' vs 'we have the highest wage bill, some of the most experienced and best players at this level, the players have shown they can beat the best sides in the league and its therefore frustrating we haven't had the consistency for top 2 mainly due to tactical deficiencies against poor opposition therefore DM is doing a bad job'.

There's not much more to it than that. If we don't get promoted, one side will insist we need to change manager and if we do get promoted the other side will be desperate to rub the first sides face in it despite everyone wanting promotion. It's very predictable what the thread titles will be the day after we're done with the play offs.

A bit disappointing that people can't see the other point of view and make the incorrect assumption it has to be racism causing the other group to think something different but thats probably a 2022/social media thing rather than an owlstalk thing.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We have EIGHTY TWO POINTS

EIGHTY...  TWO... POINTS.

82 POINTS

EIGHTY

TWO

Yes 82 points is good, however, are you telling me that you don't think we should have more?  If you take into account our squad (not when we had the injury crisis) and the amount of times we have thrown games away, then I believe we should be 6-9 points better off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jp1981 said:

Yes 82 points is good, however, are you telling me that you don't think we should have more?  If you take into account our squad (not when we had the injury crisis) and the amount of times we have thrown games away, then I believe we should be 6-9 points better off.

I bet you most teams, particularly in the top 6 or 7 positions, will be saying the exact same thing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

A bit disappointing that people can't see the other point of view and make the incorrect assumption it has to be racism causing the other group to think something different but thats probably a 2022/social media thing rather than an owlstalk thing.

There are some here, who are against Moore, explain their views and are open for discussions. That's great and that's what a forum needs.

But there are others, who are just here to hate and make spiteful remarks without really giving an opinion - many of those are just haters or rasists.

Don't you see the difference?