Wrong Tactics (All Season )

1 minute ago, Brommers said:

Yeh but.....

I really do despair with some of our fans. Get the feeling some if them can't wait for us to fail so they can claim they were right all along. But this one is special let's sack the manager who gets us promotion and replace him with "who, I'm not sure". 

Glad he's not running the club.

However, there are many more who will jump on after a win to pile on anyone who doesn't think that Moore is the Pep in disguise. Same haircut, but anyway.

It's a forum, that's how they work. If everyone agreed it'd be boring.

As for not sure, you don't know who's available. Chansiri has stayed away, kept DM all season when others haven't and spent a load of money on wages (paid in full and on time) and the most in agent's feesin the league.

He's not going to be as limited in appointments next season. After all, money talks and managers have agents too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

However, there are many more who will jump on after a win to pile on anyone who doesn't think that Moore is the Pep in disguise. 

But he's proving (already proved actually) these people completely wrong to be constantly criticising him and whinging about him and what he does.

With a freshly relegated club, having to put together a squad of freebies and loans 

We're heading for promotion

He's got 82 points mate - eighty two points

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

But he's proving these people completely wrong
With a freshly relegated club, having to put together a squad of freebies and loans 

I honestly don't know if you're being serious or not with the freebies and loans thing.

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

I honestly don't know if you're being serious or not with the freebies and loans thing.

82 points tho

Could be 85 by the end of Saturdays game

Yet people still want to make out they know better than him and yet he's gone about his business calmly, professionally, effectively and with absolute class and respect at every turn

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Must not forget that Fleetwood also fighting for their lives last night.

This is another way of saying, 'they've lost a lot of games' which is the approach I'd like us to take when playing teams at the bottom rather than bulling them up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Never known a fanbase like it

Tricky game against a team fighting for their survival and needing a point to stay up

Our fans sell out the away end (obvs)
Manager makes clever tactical changes
We come from behind

We win
Away too
We get three points

It puts us in with a great chance of playoffs and promotion
Our striker gets a hat trick
It puts us on eighty two points (82!!)

"We've been doing it all wrong" comes the cry from the fans the morning after

lol

It's so utterly utterly bizarre to me this

Never has a manager done so well and got so little support from the fanbase.... Rubs chin and ponders....

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Imre Varadi's Conker said:

Never has a manager done so well and got so little support from the fanbase.... Rubs chin and ponders....

I think I get what you’re implying here but I don’t think that’s the case. Maybe I’m wrong on both counts though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

This is another way of saying, 'they've lost a lot of games' which is the approach I'd like us to take when playing teams at the bottom rather than bulling them up.

Not really. They are at the business end of the season and literally need points to stay in the league. It’s often the case struggling clubs find an extra gear and put in that extra 5% when a defeat could mean they get relegated. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But he's proving (already proved actually) these people completely wrong to be constantly criticising him and whinging about him and what he does.

A certain poster was giving their usual negative bile during the game.

No posts after the final whistle.

They have never once posted after a win.

Ever.

Least they are consistent.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, John Howard said:

When we attacked/went at Fleetwood in the first 15 mins we could/should have been 3.0 up (Fleetwood Match commentators words) .

In the second half when we again went at them /attacked we were all over them (same Commentator).

This season we have played lovely,flowing,passing football and our opposition have put men behind the ball and waited for us to .. launch the ball into a

crowded area (crowded by defenders).

Problem with soooo many passes is if one goes wrong ,or intercepted,or lack of concentration then we are open to the counter attack . How many times this season have we lost/drawn matches and the opposition have had only  3/2/1 chances .

When we go ahead we...defend and PANIC  and kick the ball anywhere and bring Dunc on to head the ball anywhere .

Please don't mention that we are in the Play Offs (hopefully) ...with this squad and a more attacking style we would have been Champions weeks ago .

Adopt a more attacking tactic and we shall win the Play Offs 

A post so horrific I can only put you on permanent ignore as a response.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Never known a fanbase like it

Tricky game against a team fighting for their survival and needing a point to stay up

Our fans sell out the away end (obvs)
Manager makes clever tactical changes
We come from behind

We win
Away too
We get three points

It puts us in with a great chance of playoffs and promotion
Our striker gets a hat trick
It puts us on eighty two points (82!!)

"We've been doing it all wrong" comes the cry from the fans the morning after

lol

It's so utterly utterly bizarre to me this

...unless you take the view that with this squad of players we should now have our feet up and be looking forward to next season in the Championship.

"I'm amazed that Wednesday aren't higher up" the young lad remarked in his vlog.

How many times have we read or heard other fans say that?

When interviewing one of MK Dons players after the match for instance, the interviewer remarked to him "You've come up against probably the best squad in the division today".

We're not higher because of over-elaboration at the back, and a season-long inability to defend set pieces.

Both were on display last night.

We are the fourth highest scorers and that is with Windass being missing for most of the season and Gregory missing several months. For me the defense has been the problem, we are into double figures by goals conceded by set pieces and how many goals have we given away when we lose the ball near the edge of our box, last night a great example.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

82 points tho

Yet people still want to make out they know better than him and yet he's gone about his business calmly, professionally, effectively and with absolute class and respect at every turn

Correct, agree on this one 😉 

A number of questionable decisions but after the first 15 games and players settling in we have 60 points from 30 matches, he's done a great job. 

Recruitment wise it's been the best we have had for years in the Summer and in Jan he spotted areas we needed to improve and got quality in more often than not. 

Hutchinson at centre half which we all could see for a long time he implemented it. 

Some team selections and set up questionable but he's got the results. Some on here were tipping us for relegation in July. 

Top job Darren (so far )

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

82 points tho

Don't disagree with the calmness and class thing.

I'll put my cards on the table.

I like Moore. I like Gregory. I want to see us win.

Early in the season, I was one of DM's biggest supporters on here, explaining why he made the decisions he did when he was being slated for tinkering.

And I could explain them all.

Bar one.

Why he built a side around a player who didn't have the attributes needed for the role. Why he changed everyone in attack and midfield in the 4231 to make it work, except for the one player who he needed to change.

Then came Oxford. Gregory went off at half time at 1-0 down and Berahino came on. We were like a different team, space everywhere, overlaps for days. We lost 2-1 but the second half performance was the best we'd played all season. If the penalty had been given on Pato, I honestly think we'd have a completely different side about now.

Even now, I understand why he makes the subs he does, why he makes the changes he does.

He's actually a good manager, he identifies where he's weak and tries to improve, you can see the side evolving game after game.

But. In my eyes, his basic plan is fundamentally flawed. He's spent all season trying to make Gregory work. It's worked to an extent, and if Windass had been fit he'd have probably pulled it off. But instead of solving the problem at the root, he's tinkered round the edges, doubling down on his mistake.

The downsides if playing Gregory as main striker far outweigh the upsides.

We're still having exactly the same issues offensively and defensively that I identified in October, and if I can see them, then any manager worth his salt can too.

Look back to October, September. The ones criticising are making exactly the same arguments now as they were then.

Yes, we have 82 points, but we could have many, many more.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

...unless you take the view that with this squad of players we should now have our feet up and be looking forward to next season in the Championship.

"I'm amazed that Wednesday aren't higher up" the young lad remarked in his vlog.

How many times have we read or heard other fans say that?

When interviewing one of MK Dons players after the match for instance, the interviewer remarked to him "You've come up against probably the best squad in the division today".

We're not higher because of over-elaboration at the back, and a season-long inability to defend set pieces.

Both were on display last night.

We aren't higher because a newly put together squad took 10/15 games to settle in and get use to the division. 

Look how well the newly put together squad at ipswich has done and compare us to that.........

We are going to end in the playoffs with 82 83 or 85 points thats remarkable when we had 22 points from the first 15 games.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, owl84 said:

We aren't higher because a newly put together squad took 10/15 games to settle in and get use to the division. 

Look how well the newly put together squad at ipswich has done and compare us to that.........

We are going to end in the playoffs with 82 83 or 85 points thats remarkable when we had 22 points from the first 15 games.

Why do people always say this as if it’s unique to us bringing in new players. Rotherham brought in 9 according to transfer market, and the rest all brought in a dozen plus. Sunderland and Wigan brought in a similar amount to us.

Bringing in new players is standard at this level, but teams don’t take 6 months to settle. Would also say I wouldn’t swap

our signings or squad for any of those others on the list.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/transfers/verein/1035

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/afc-sunderland/transfers/verein/289

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wigan-athletic/transfers/verein/1071

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rotherham-united/transfers/verein/1194

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wycombe-wanderers/transfers/verein/2805

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/plymouth-argyle/transfers/verein/2262

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/milton-keynes-dons/transfers/verein/991

34 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Don't disagree with the calmness and class thing.

I'll put my cards on the table.

I like Moore. I like Gregory. I want to see us win.

Early in the season, I was one of DM's biggest supporters on here, explaining why he made the decisions he did when he was being slated for tinkering.

And I could explain them all.

Bar one.

Why he built a side around a player who didn't have the attributes needed for the role. Why he changed everyone in attack and midfield in the 4231 to make it work, except for the one player who he needed to change.

Then came Oxford. Gregory went off at half time at 1-0 down and Berahino came on. We were like a different team, space everywhere, overlaps for days. We lost 2-1 but the second half performance was the best we'd played all season. If the penalty had been given on Pato, I honestly think we'd have a completely different side about now.

Even now, I understand why he makes the subs he does, why he makes the changes he does.

He's actually a good manager, he identifies where he's weak and tries to improve, you can see the side evolving game after game.

But. In my eyes, his basic plan is fundamentally flawed. He's spent all season trying to make Gregory work. It's worked to an extent, and if Windass had been fit he'd have probably pulled it off. But instead of solving the problem at the root, he's tinkered round the edges, doubling down on his mistake.

The downsides if playing Gregory as main striker far outweigh the upsides.

We're still having exactly the same issues offensively and defensively that I identified in October, and if I can see them, then any manager worth his salt can too.

Look back to October, September. The ones criticising are making exactly the same arguments now as they were then.

Yes, we have 82 points, but we could have many, many more.

We have 82 points

Gregory just scored a hat-trick and is on fire right now with the tactics that Moore has been implementing

Come on 

Come on now...

Let's admit that just sitting there saying 'yeah but could have had more' is literally the easiest, laziest way to go about critiquing a manager who's been up against it, changed, evolved, and is succeeding

Anyone can just sit and say 'could have got more'

Anyone

You could show me the best team of all time and I could sit and point at the draw they got that season and said 'yeah but could have been a win that - should have been a win actually with the squad at the managers disposal' etc

Or I could point to the time they won 1-0 and said 'could and should have been more - should have been 5-0 easy'

etc

The reality and the stark truth of things is we have a manager who came onto a burning sinking ship, has put most of the fires out, has stopped the water leaking AND just about got us back to shore

AYE AYE CAPTAIN MOORE - I"M FULLY ABOARD THE GOOD SHIP WEDNESDAY..

BOUND FOR SUCCESS LAND

Meanwhile a few of the passengers are 'he could have put that fire out faster, he could have stopped the water leaking in a different way, and by the way we should be home and dry by now ffs'

All whilst Captain Moore has just been cracking on with his job with grace, courage, wisdom and bravery

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop